In May 1861, the “ladies of Rohester” presented this ustom-made Regimental olor to the 13th New York Volunteer Infantry. The flag features a stylized, painted version of the Arms of the State of New York with "ROHESTER REGIMENT" painted above. Carried for two years and deposited with state authorities by olonel Elisha Marshall, the flag inludes three fabri layers. The outer layers are eah made from a single piee of blue silk. Two piees of plain otton, seamed vertially, form the inner lining. Yellow painted bands line the flag’s top and bottom. Three separate piees of metalli bullion fringe trim the top, fly, and bottom edges. In 1961, a flag restorer disassembled the flag and sandwihed eah outer silk layer between blue, nylon net. The enter otton lining and staff sleeve, most likely original, are between the two layers of “netted” silk.The restorer then attahed all the layers around the outside edges.
See the 13th Infantry Regiment History Page for more information about the unit.New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military History