Mrs. Joseph Strain from Albany presented
these two silk swallowtail flank markers to the regiment in November
of 1862. The 153rd Regiment carried these flags during the Red River
Expedition and in the battle at Sabine Cross Roads, Pleasant Hill, Marksville,
Cane River Crossing, and Alexandria, Louisiana. Each flag is made of
a single piece of silk cut away at the fly edge to create the swallowtail
and each includes three silk tie-backs for attachment to the staff.
The red painted “153” appears on both sides.