The NYS Battle Flag Collection includes two
flank markers carried by the 45th Regiment NY Volunteer Infantry. Organized
in New York City under Colonel George Von Amsberg, the 45th NY Volunteers
mustered into service for three years in September 1861. These two flank
markers date to the regiment’s original three-year muster period.
Both flags feature painted inscriptions in gold, shadowed in red, along
the top and bottom. The red painted oval shields edged with a gold painted
border in the center of each flag do have damage and some loss. The inscriptions
along the top and bottom are in mirror image on the reverse while the
numeric designation reads left to right on the reverse.