The two silk flank markers seen here feature the regiment's numeric designation painted in gold in the center and yellow-colored, twisted and looped fringe on three sides. Reportedly, the 48th Regiment NY Volunteer Infantry received these flags on January 12, 1862, at Hilton Head, South Carolina, from Adjutant Anthony Goodell on behalf of the ladies of Brooklyn. The flank marker on the right shows signs of light damage as evidenced by the diagonal brown markings and globular discoloration along the top edge. The regiment deposited the flank markers into the Battle Flag Collection via Adjutant General William Irvine on November 27, 1865.
See the 48th Infantry Regiment History Page for more information about the unit.New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military History