The 59th New York Volunteer Infantry mustered
into service for three years between August 2 and October 30, 1861.
When the three-year term expired, those entitled were discharged and
the regiment continued in
service as “Veteran Volunteers,” as indicated by the “N.Y.S.V.V.” along
the top of these blue silk flank markers. Both flags feature painted
inscriptions in gold, shadowed in red, along the top and bottom.
Also, each features a red painted shield in the center framed with
painted ornamental border and the regiment’s numeric designation
painted in gold and shadowed in crimson. “N.Y.S.V.V.” and “REGIMENT.” are
in mirror image on the reverse while the numeric designation reads
correctly (l to rt).