The 79th Regiment , or “Highlanders,” mustered into service for three years on May 29, 1861 and received its numerical designation on December 11, 1861. These two flank markers date to the regiment’s original three year muster period. Both flags feature painted inscriptions in gold, shadowed in red, along the top and bottom. A red painted oval shield edged with a gold painted border still remains for one flag but is lost on the other. The inscriptions along the top and bottom are in mirror image on the reverse while the numeric designation reads left to right on the reverse for the flag with the red oval in tact. Lieutenant Colonel Henry Heffron deposited the two flags with the state on July 29, 1865.
See the 79th Infantry Regiment History Page for more information about the unit.New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military History