|Unit History Project|
14th Independent Battery
Organized about December 21, 1861, by the consolidation of Companies B and
D, 2nd battalion of artillery.
This battery was organized about December 21, 1861, at Washington, D. C, by the consolidation of Companies B and D, 2d Battalion, Artillery, with William H. Hogan as Captain. It was then known as Company A of that battalion, until October, 1862, when it was constituted the 14th Battery as above. The companies it was composed of were recruited in New York city, and there mustered in the service of the United States for three years, December 9, 1861; they left the State December 16, 1861. The battery served at and near Washington, D. C., from December, 1861; in Richardson's Division, 2d Corps, Army of the Potomac, from March, 1862; by order of the War Department, the first section was attached, May 26, 1862, to Battery C, 4th U. S. Artillery; the second to Battery G, and the third to Battery B, 1st Artillery; January 16, 1863, the first section was transferred to Battery G, 1st Artillery; and September 7, 1863, by order of the War Department, these transfers were made permanent and the battery discontinued.
During its service, the battery lost by death, killed in action, 2 officers, 2 enlisted men; of wounds received in action, 1 enlisted man; and of disease and other causes, 4 enlisted men; total, 2 officers, 7 enlisted men; aggregate, 9.; of whom 1 enlisted man died in the hands of the enemy
Battles and Casualties Table from Phisterer
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military History