|Unit History Project|
24th Independent Battery
Originally Battery B, Rocket battalion of artillery, became the 24th battery,
November 1, 1862. The order making the change was, however, not approved until
February 11, 1863.
This battery, originally Battery B, Rocket Battalion of Artillery, became the 24th Battery November 1, 1862; the order making the change was, however, not approved until February 11, 1863. It was recruited principally in the counties of Monroe and Wyoming, and at Perry; organized at Buffalo, its organization completed at Albany; and there mustered in the service of the United States for three years December 7, 1861. At the expiration of its term of service, the men entitled thereto were mustered out and the battery retained in service. It left the State December 9, 1861, under Capt. J. E. Lee, and served at Washington, D. C., from December, 1861; in North Carolina, from April 23, 1862; in the 3d Brigade, 5th Division, 18th Corps, from December, 1862; in the district of Albe-marle, N. C., from May, 1863; at Plymouth, N. C., from January, 1864; and in the district of North Carolina, Department of Virginia and North Carolina, from May, 1864; and March 8, 1865, it was transferred to the 3d Artillery as Battery L of the same, but did not join the regiment until May 28, 1865, when its war service had closed.
Battles and Casualties Table from Phisterer
Lowry, Thomas Power. Civil War Rockets. Charleston, SC: CreateSpace, 2012.
Merrill, Julian Whedon. Records of the 24th independent battery, N.Y. light artillery, U.S.V., compiled by J. W. Merrill. Published for the Ladies' cemetery association of Perry, N.Y. [New York, J. O. Seymour, Kennard & Hay, printers] 1870. Reprinted in 2000 by the Higginson Book Co.
Items the museum owns are in bold.
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military History