|Unit History Project|
2nd Battalion of Artillery (Light)
Mustered in: December 9, 1861
This battalion, consisting originally of four companies, was recruited in New York city between September and December 9, 1861, and there mustered in the service of the United States for three years, December 9, 1861. The original plan was to raise an artillery company for each of the four regiments of the Irish, or Meagher's, Brigade. The battalion left the State December 16, 1861, commanded by Maj. Thomas O'Neill. The companies were commanded: A, by Capt. Henry J. McMahon; B, by Capt. Wm. H, Hogan; C, by Capt. Michael Mitchell; and D, by Capt. Wm. O'Donohue. On their arrival in Washington, D. C., the companies, not having been recruited to the artillery standard, were, about December 21, 1861, consolidated into two companies; B and D forming new Company A, and A and C new Company B. The battalion organization was discontinued in October, 1862, and the companies designated the 14th and 15th Batteries of Light Artillery.
The losses, services and engagements of the battalion are incorporated in the record of the 14th and15th Batteries; except the loss of one field officer, died of an accident before discontinuance of the battalion.
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military History