New York State Military Museum and Veterans Research Center - Unit History Project
     Unit History Project  
  Home
  About the Museum
  Contact Us
  Articles
  Armories & Arsenals
  Events
  Education
  Flags
  Forts
  Heraldry
  Links
  Pictures
  Press
  Research
  Unit History Project
    Conflict:
   - Revolution
   - Civil
   - Spanish American
   - Mex. Border, 1916
   - WWI
   - WWII
   - Korean
  Veteran's Oral History
  Search
   
  DMNA Homepage
  NYARNG
  NYANG
  NYG
  NY Naval Militia
  Friends

3rd Artillery Regiment (Light)
Civil War
Seward Artillery; Cayuga Regiment

History

Mustered in as the 19th regiment of infantry: May 22, 1861
Designated 3rd regiment of artillery (light): December 11, 1862
Mustered out: June 23 to July 24, 1865

The following is taken from New York in the War of the Rebellion, 3rd ed. Frederick Phisterer. Albany: J. B. Lyon Company, 1912.
This regiment was accepted by the State for a service of two years as a regiment of infantry, and designated the 19th Regiment, May 17, 1861. It was organized at Elmira, and there mustered in the service of the United States, by an error, for three months only. August 2, 1861, it was ordered, however, at the request of the War Department, by the Governor of the State, to be mustered in the service of the United States for the unexpired portion of its State service. The 49th Militia formed the nucleus of the regiment, and the men were recruited principally in the counties of Cayuga, Seneca and Wayne; the counties of Cattaraugus, Chenango, Cortland, Onondaga, Oswego, "Madison, Tioga and Tompkins also furnished some of the men. The regiment left the State, under Col. John S. Clark, June 6, 1861. December 11, 1861, under Col. James H. Ledlie, it was converted into an artillery regiment. At the expiration of its term of service, those entitled to be discharged left the field, May 22, 1863, and were mustered out in the State; the regiment, however, was continued in the service, receiving new companies and recruits. It served as infantry at and near Washington. D. C, from June, 1861; in Sanford's Division, Patterson's Army, from July, 1861; in Butterfield's Brigade, same command, from July 11, 1861; in the 1st Brigade, Bank's Division, from July 29, 1861; in the 3d Brigade from September 25, 1861, and in Williams' Brigade from December, 1861; as artillery in North and South Carolina, 18th and 10th Corps, and Batteries E, H, K and M in the Army of the James, from March, 1862. It was honorably discharged and mustered out, under Col. Charles H. Stewart, between June 23 and July 24, 1865, having lost by death during its service, killed in action, 1 officer, 13 enlisted men; of wounds received in action, 8 enlisted men; of disease and other causes, 4 officers, 283 enlisted men; total, 5 officers, 304 enlisted men; aggregate, 309; of whom 25 enlisted men died in the hands of the enemy.
Battery A, originally organized at Auburn, was mustered in at Elmira, May 22, 1861, under Capt. John T. Baker. September 28, 1861, the enlisted men of Company F were transferred to it, and June 2, 1863, it was mustered out at Auburn, under Capt. Charles White, its three years' men having been transferred to Companies E, I and K. It served as an artillery company at or near Washington, D. C., from December, 1861; in North Carolina, 18th Corps, from March, 1862; in South Carolina, 10th Corps, from January, 1863. A new Company A, recruited principally at Auburn, Moravia, Sennett, Venice, Cato, Mentz, Brutus, Ira, Lafayette, Elbridge, Rochester, Throup, Conquest, Owasco and Niles, was mustered in the United States service for one year September 23, 1864, under Capt. Samuel P. Russell. This company served in the I8th Corps and Department of Virginia, and from March 2 to April I7, 1865, in Carter's Division, Provisional Corps, in North Carolina, and was mustered out at Syracuse, July 3, 1865.
Battery B, originally organized at Auburn, was mustered in the United States service at Elmira, May 22, 1861, under Capt. Terrence J. Kennedy. September 28, 1861, it received by transfer some of the men of Company H, and February 22, 1862, it was consolidated with Companies C and E. A new company, under Capt. Joseph J. Morrison, recruited principally in New York city and Penn Yan, and mustered in the United States service for three years at New York city, December 19, 186I, took its place. This company was converted into a light battery in May, 1862, and served in the 18th Corps in North Carolina from March, 1862; in the Artillery Brigade, 18th Corps, from December, 1862, and in South Carolina, 10th Corps, from January, 1863. It was mustered out July 13, 1865, at Syracuse, under Capt. Thomas J. Mersereau.
Battery C, originally organized at Seneca Falls, was mustered in the. United States service at Elmira, May 22, 1861, under Cap-to James E. Ashcroft. February 28, 1862, some of the enlisted men of Company B were transferred to it. May 22, 1863, its three years' men were transferred to Companies I and K, and the company was mustered out under Lieut. Charles B. Randolph, at Elmira, June 2, 1863, having served as an artillery company in the 10th and I8th Corps in North and South Carolina. September 30, 1863, a new company, recruited principally at Utica, Syracuse, Rome, Sangerfield, Hamilton, Vernon, Annsville, Rochester, Bridgewater, Norwich, Albany and Deerfield, and mustered in the United States service for three years, August 3r, 1863, commanded by Capt. W. E. Mercer, took its place. This company served in the I8th Corps, and Department of Virginia, in North Carolina; in Carter's Division, Provisional Corps, from March, 1865; in the Reserve Artillery, 23d Corps, from April 5, 1865, and, under the command of Captain Mercer, was mustered out July I4, 1865, at Syracuse.
Battery D, originally organized at Auburn, was mustered in the United States service May 22, 186I, under Capt. Owen Gavigan, and was formed principally of Irishmen. September 28, 1861. it received by transfer some of the enlisted men of Company K. Its three years' men were transferred to Companies E, I and K, May 22, 1863, and the company was mustered out at Elmira, June 2, 1863. It served in North Carolina, in the I8th Corps, from March, 1862; and in South Carolina, in the 10th Corps, from January, 1863. In March, 1864, a new company, recruited principally at Syracuse, Auburn, Fayette, Locke, Skaneateles, Seneca Falls, Owasco arid Onondaga, mustered in the United States service at Syracuse in February, 1864, for one, two and three years' service, and commanded by Capt. Stephen Van Heusen, joined the regiment, replacing the mustered-out company. This company served in the I8th Corps, and Department of Virginia; in Carter's Division, Provisional Corps, from March, 1865; in Reserve Artillery, 23d Corps, from April 5, 1865, in North Carolina; and was mustered out under Captain Van Heusen, at Syracuse, July 5, 1865.
Battery E, originally organized at Auburn, mustered in the United States service May 22, 186I, at Elmira, under Capt. Theodore H. Schenck, received by transfer, February 28, 1862, some of the enlisted men of Company B, and May 22, 1863, some of the three years' men of Companies A, C and D. At the expiration of its term of service, those entitled to be discharged were sent to Elmira and there mustered out, and the battery itself retained in service. It was converted into a light battery in August, 1862; served in North Carolina from March, 1862; in the Artillery Brigade, I8th Corps, from December, 1862; in South Carolina, in the 10th Corps, from January, 1863; in North Carolina, in the 18th Corps, from May, 1863; at Yorktown, Va., from April, 1864; in the Artillery, 2d Division, 18th Corps, Army of the James, from May, 1864; in the Artillery Brigade, 18th Corps, from June, 1864; with the l0th Corps from August, 1864; with the 18th Corps from September, 1864; and in the Artillery Brigade, 24th Corps, from December, 1864. It was, commanded by Capt. George E. Ashby, mustered out at Richmond, Va., June 23, 1865.
Battery F, originally organized at Moravia, mustered in the United States service May 22, 1861, at Elmira, under Capt. Nelson T. Stephens, was transferred to Company A September 28, 1861. February 22, 1862, a new company, original 10th Battery, commanded by Capt. Edwin S. Jenney, took its place. This company, recruited and organized at Syracuse, and there mustered in the service of the United States for three years December 18, 1861 was converted into a light battery in May, 1862. At the expiration of its term of service those entitled thereto were discharged and the battery retained in the service. It served in North Carolina from March, 1862; in the Artillery Brigade, 18th Corps, from December, 1862; in the 10th Corps and South Carolina from January, 1863; in the District of Florida from September, 1864; and was mustered out, commanded by First Lieut. Edgar H. Titus, July 24, 1865, at Syracuse.
Battery G, originally organized at Auburn, mustered in the United States service under Capt. Chas. H. Stewart, May 22, 1861, at Elmira, received, September 28, 1861, by transfer some of the men of Company K. Its three years' men were transferred to new Company K, May 22, 1863, and the battery mustered out at Elmira, June 2, 1863, having served in North Carolina in the 18th Corps, from March, 1862. A new company took its place in March, 1864, which, commanded by Capt. David L. Aberdeen, was mustered in the United States service for three years, and recruited principally at Syracuse, Auburn, Waterloo, Sharon, Skaneateles, Brutus, Seneca Falls, Elbridge, Onondaga and Cicero. It served in the 18th Corps, and Department of Virginia; in the Provisional Corps in North Carolina from March, 1865; in Artillery Reserve, 23d Corps, from April 5, 1865, and was mustered out under Capt. William A. Kelsey, July 7, 1865, at Syracuse.
Battery H, organized at Weedsport, mustered in the United States service at Elmira, May 22, 1861, under Capt. Solomon Giles, was transferred to Companies B and I September 28, 1861. A new company, commanded by Capt. William J. Riggs, took its place February 22, 1862. This company, formed of organizations recruited by Captains Clark, Mercer and Tryon, at Rome, for H. R. White's regiment, and there mustered in the United States service for three years, and in which the Grinnell Light Artillery was merged, was converted into a light battery in May, 1862. At the expiration of its term of service those entitled thereto were discharged and the battery continued in service. It served in North Carolina from March, 1862; in the Artillery Brigade; 18th Corps, from December, 1862; at and near Fort Monroe, Va., from October, 1863 at Newport News, Va., from December, 1863; in the defenses of Portsmouth, Va., from April, 1864; in the Artillery Brigade, 18th Corps, from June, 1864, and in the 24th Corps from December, 1864. It was mustered out, commanded by Capt. Enoch Jones, June 24, 1865, at Richmond, Va.
Battery I, originally organized at Auburn, was mustered in the service of the United States, May 22, 1861, at Elmira, commanded by Capt. John H. Ammon. Some of the enlisted men of Companies Hand K were transferred to it, September 28, 1861. May 22, 1863, it received some of the three years' men of Companies A, C and D, and its two years' men were forwarded to Elmira, where they were discharged June 2, 1863, while the battery was continued in service. It served in North Carolina from March, 1862; in the Artillery Brigade, 18th Corps, from December, 1862; in South Carolina, 10th Corps, from January, 1863, and in the 18th Corps, and Department of Virginia, from May, 1863; in Carter's Division, Provisional Corps, in North Carolina, from March, 1865; in Artillery Reserve, 23d Corps, from April 5, 1865. It was mustered out, under Capt. William M. Kirby, at Syracuse, July 8, 1865.
Battery K, originally organized at Union Springs, was mustered in the United States service May 22, 1861, at Elmira, under Capt. James R. Angel, and transferred to Companies D and G and a few of the men to Company I, September 28, 1861. A new company, commanded by Captain Angel, recruited principally at Auburn and Union Springs, and mustered in the United States service for three years, took its place December 20, 1861. This company was, in June, 1862, converted into a light battery. May 22, 1863, it received a number of three years' men of Batteries D and G, and at the expiration of its term of service those entitled thereto were discharged and the battery continued in service. It served in North Carolina from March, 1862; in the Artillery Brigade, 18th Corps, from December, 1862; in the 1st Division, 18th Corps, Army of the James, from April, 1864; in the 3d (Hink's) Division, 18th Corps, from May, 1864; in the Artillery Brigade of the 18th Corps, from June, 1864; and in the Artillery Brigade of the 24th Corps, from December, 1864. Commanded by Captain Angel, it was mustered out June 30, 1865, at Richmond, Va.
Battery L. Capt. Terrence J. Kennedy of Company B was ordered to recruit this battery, but received from the State authority to organize it as an independent battery (the 1st). For some reason this battery was reported by the regimental commander as Battery L of this regiment; it never joined the regiment, and was finally dropped from its returns. In March, 1865, the 24th Battery was transferred to the regiment as its Battery L, and so reported from May 28, 1865. This battery was mustered out, under Capt. Lewis H. Mowers, July 7, 1865, at Syracuse. Its losses are, however, not credited to the regiment, but to its independent organization.
Battery M, Capt. James V. White. This company was originally organized for the 76th Infantry, as Company I. January 24, 1862, it was transferred to the 3d Artillery, and completed by consolidating with it Captain Hanson's and another company, recruited for the Cherry Valley Regiment. It was recruited principally at Albany, Schenectady, Broadalbin, Elmira, Cherry Valley, Bainbridge, Newfield, Ithaca, Milford, Unadilla, Braman's Cove, Sanford, Hartwick and Cayuta; organized at Albany and there mustered in the service of the United States for three years, January 18, 1862. At the expiration of its term of service those entitled thereto were discharged and the battery continued in service. It joined the regiment February 22, 1862, and served in North Carolina, and the 18th Corps, from March, 1862; at and near Fort Monroe, Va., from October, 1863; in Heckman's Division, 18th Corps, from January, 1864; in the 1st Division, 18th Corps, from March, 1864; in the 3d Division, 18th Corps, Army of the James, from May, 1864; in the Artillery Brigade, 18th Corps, from June, 1864, and in that of the 24th Corps from December, 1864. Commanded by Capt. John H. Howell, it was mustered out at Richmond, Va., June 26, 1865.

The following is taken from The Union army: a history of military affairs in the loyal states, 1861-65 -- records of the regiments in the Union army -- cyclopedia of battles -- memoirs of commanders and soldiers. Madison, WI: Federal Pub. Co., 1908. volume II.
Third Light Artillery.—The portion of the regiment from Hancock joined the new companies at Washington Feb. 21, 1862, and was ordered to Arlington heights, where it remained until March 27, when it was assigned to Gen. Burnside's command and embarked for New Berne on the Carolina expedition, during which the batteries served detached a great part of the time.
Battery A, Capt. John T. Baker, was one of the original two years companies and served during the North Carolina campaign as heavy artillery, first at Fort Rowan. It was assigned to the 10th corps in Jan., 1863, and was mustered out at Auburn, N. Y., on June 2, 1863, the three years men being transferred to Cos. E, I and K. A new Co. A was mustered into the U. S. service on Sept. 23, 1864, for one year and joined the regiment in North Carolina. It was active at Foster's mills,. Gardiner's bridge and Butler's bridge and served in the campaign of March and April, 1865, in Carter's division, provisional corps, being engaged at Wise's Forks. It was mustered out at Syracuse, July 3, 1865.
Battery B, Capt. Terrence J. Kennedy, was consolidated with Cos. C and E when reorganization took place in Feb., 1862, and a new Battery B, Capt. Joseph J. Morrison, was mustered in at New York city Dec. 19, 1861, for three years. This battery was equipped as light artillery; served in the 18th corps in North Carolina; took part in the expedition to Weldon; was engaged in Rawle's mill; returned to New Berne on Dec.11 and joined the Goldsboro expedition, taking part in the actions at Southwest creek, Kinston bridge, Whitehall and Goldsboro. In Jan., 1863, the battery was ordered to Hilton Head, S. C., and attached to the 10th corps. It shared in the operations against Fort Wagner and the reduction of the fortifications of Charleston harbor, remaining in that vicinity until the close of its term of service and gaining commendation in many encounters. It was mustered out at Syracuse, July 13, 1865.
Battery C, Capt. James E. Ashcroft, was mustered into the U. S. service in 1861 and mustered out at Elmira June 2, 1863, when its three years' men were transferred to Cos. I and K. A new battery C, Capt. W. E. Mercer, was mustered into the U. S. service on Aug. 31, 1863, for a three years' term, and joined the regiment in North Carolina. At New Berne it was equipped as heavy artillery and engaged in construction work at Fort Totten; participating in sev-eral expeditions into the surrounding country. It was active in the campaign of March and April, 1865, engaging the enemy at several different points, notably Southwest creek, Wise's Forks, and Ben-nett house, and was mustered out at Syracuse, July 14, 1865.
Battery D, Capt. Owen Gavignan, was one of the original two. years' companies and was mustered out at Elmira, June 2, 1863,. the three years men being distributed among Cos. E, I and K. A new Battery D was mustered into the U. S. service at Syracuse in Feb., 1864, and joined the regiment in North Carolina, where it served as heavy artillery, being stationed at Fort Totten. It was ative in the campaign in the Carolinas in March, 1865, engaging the enemy together with the preceding battery, and was mustered out at Syracuse, July 5, 1865.
Battery E, Capt. Theodore Schenck, was one of the original two years' companies, but received the three years men of Cos. A, B, C and D and remained in service after its two years' men were mustered out. Equipped as light artillery at New Berne, it accompanied the Goldsboro expedition in Dec., 1862, engaging the enemy at Kinston, Whitehall bridge and Goldsboro and on its return occupied permanent winter quarters at New Berne. In the spring of 1864, the battery was ordered to Virginia, where it served with the artillery brigade of the 18th corps until June, with the 10th corps until September, again with the 18th until December and the remainder of its term of service with the 24th corps. , It was sent to Petersburg and took part in engagements at Drewry's bluff, Bermuda Hundred, Fort Harrison and Petersburg, participating in the final assault April 2, 1865. It was mustered out at Richmond, Va., June 23, 1865.
Battery F, Capt. Nelson T. Stevens, was organized May 22, 1861, and transferred to Co. A in September. A new company, Capt. Edwin S. Jenny, was organized in Feb., 1862, and mustered in for three years. It joined the regiment at New Berne, N. C., where it was equipped as a light battery and accompanied the Goldsboro expedition, losing 32 members killed, wounded or missing. It next joined the expedition to Blount's creek, after which it was ordered to Morris island and took part in the bombardment of Fort Wagner in July, 1863, and the further operations about Charleston harbor, serving with the l0th corps. In the bombardment of Fort Sumter in Nov., 1863, at Seabrook, John's island and James island, the battery rendered effective service. Battery F was mustered out at Syracuse, July 24, 1865.
Battery G, Capt. Charles H. Stewart, was organized in May, 1861, and in September received new members from Battery K. It was active at Washington, N. C., in July, 1862, and also in March, 1863. It was mustered out at Elmira June 2, 1863, the three years men having been transferred to the new Co. K in May. In March, 1864, a new Battery G, Capt. David L. Aberdeen, was mustered into the U. S. service for a three years' term and assigned to the 18th corps, Department of Virginia and to the provisional corps in North Carolina in March, 1865. It was active at Wise's Forks and Bennett house, and from April 5 served with the artillery reserve, 23d corps. It was mustered out at Syracuse, July 7, 1865.
Battery H, Capt. Solomon Giles, was organized in May, 1861, and transferred in September to Cos. B and I. It was replaced by a new Battery H, Capt. William J. Riggs, Feb. 22, 1862, which was equipped as a light battery at New Berne and served in North Carolina during that year, sharing in the Goldsboro and Blount's creek expeditions and fighting at Swift creek, Tarboro and Dismal swamp. In Oct., 1863, it was ordered to Fortress Monroe; moved to Newport News in December; to Portsmouth, Va., in April, 1864; was assigned to the artillery brigade, 18th corps, in June, and to the 24th corps in December. It was active at Fort Harrison and in the final assault on Petersburg April 2, 1865, and was mustered out at Richmond, Va., June 24, 1865.
Battery I, Capt. John H. Ammon, was organized at Elmira and on May 22, 1861, was mustered into the U. S. service for two years. It received recruits from Cos. H and K and in 1863 from Cos. A, C and D. It served in North and South Carolina; took part in the siege of Fort Macon; in the Goldsboro expedition; was stationed at New Berne in 1863; in March, 1865, was assigned to the provisional corps in North Carolina, with which it engaged at Wise's Forks; was then transferred to the artillery reserve, 23d corps, and was, mustered out of the service at Syracuse, July 8, 1865.
Battery K, Capt. James R. Angell, was organized in May, 1861, and transferred to Cos. D and G in September. A new Co. K, Capt. Angell, was mustered into the U. S. service on Dec. 20, 1861, for a three years' term, and joined the regiment at New Berne, N. C., where it was equipped as a light battery. It was active in the Goldsboro expedition; was stationed at Free bridge in July, 1863, and at New Berne in 1864; was transferred in April, 1864, to the 1st division, 18th corps, Army of the James. The two years men were mustered out at the expiration of their term of service and recruits received from Cos. D and G. In May, 1864, the battery was assigned to the 3d division, 18th corps, and in June to the artillery brigade, 18th corps. In Dec., 1864, it was transferred to the artillery brigade of the 24th corps. It was active at Bermuda Hundred, in the early assaults on Petersburg, and in the final assault April 2, 1865. It was mustered out at Richmond, June 30, 1863.
Battery L, Capt. Terrence J. Kennedy, organized as an independent battery in 1861, continued as such and never joined the regiment. In March, 1865, the 24th Independent Battery (q. v.) was transferred to the regiment as Battery L and was mustered out July 7, 1865.
Battery M, Capt. James V. White, was organized as Co. I of the 76th N. Y. infantry and with two other companies was assigned to the regiment on Jan. 24, 1862. It was mustered into the U. S. service at Albany, Jan. 18, 1862, for a three years' term and joined the regiment in North Carolina. It served near New Berne, N. C., until Oct., 1863, and was then ordered to Fortress Monroe. In Jan., 1864, it was assigned to the 18th corps and to the 1st division of that corps in March, being transferred to the 3d division the following May. In June it became a part of the artillery brigade, l8th corps, and in Dec., 1864, of the artillery brigade, 24th corps. It took part in the operations before Petersburg, joined in the final assault, and was mustered out of the service at Richmond, June 26, 1865. During its term of service, the total loss of the entire regiment was 189 members killed, wounded or missing.

Battles and Casualties Table from Phisterer

Historical Sketch from the 3rd Annual Report of the Bureau of Military Statistics

Civil War Newspaper Clippings - 3rd Light Artillery

Civil War Newspaper Clippings - 19th Infantry

3rd Light Artillery, Guidon 3rd Light Artillery, Guidon

3rd Light Artillery, Battery A, Guidons

3rd Light Artillery, Battery D, Guidon 3rd Light Artillery, Battery D, Guidon

3rd Light Artillery, Battery D, Guidon 3rd Light Artillery, Battery E, Guidon

3rd Light Artillery, Battery D, Guidon 3rd Light Artillery, Battery G, Guidon

3rd Light Artillery, Battery H, Guidon 3rd Light Artillery, Battery H, Guidon

3rd Light Artillery, Battery M, Guidon 3rd Light Artillery, Battery M, Guidon

Unit Roster

Further Reading
This is meant to be a comprehensive list. If, however, you know of a resource that is not listed below, please send an email to int-historians@ng.army.mil with the name of the resource and where it is located. This can include photographs, letters, articles and other non-book materials. Also, if you have any materials in your possession that you would like to donate, the museum is always looking for items specific to New York's military heritage. Thank you.

Hall, Henry and James Hall. Cayuga in the Field. A Record of the 19th N.Y. Volunteers, all the batteries of the 3d New York Artillery, and 75th New York Volunteers, comprising an account of their organization, camp life, marches, battles, lsses, toils and triumphs in the war for the Union, with complete rolls of their members. Auburn, NY: Truair Smith, 1873.

Hamilton, John Cornelius Leon. "Personal reminiscences." In Historical sketches of the Roemer, Van Tassel and allied families, by John L. Roemer, 1917, p 122-7.

Survivors of the 19th N.Y. volunteers and 3d N.Y. light artillery. Auburn: Wm. J. Moses, printer, 1892. 27 p.

 

Items in the museum collection are in bold.

New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military History
Last modified: September 21, 2007
URL: http://www.dmna.state.ny.us/historic/reghist/civil/artillery/3rdArtLt/3rdArtLtMain.htm

Valid HTML 4.01!

 
Home | Contact Us | Language Access