|Unit History Project|
3rd Independent Battery
Battery originally Company D of the 2nd militia, later 82nd regiment of infantry.
It served detached from its regiment and was known as Battery B, until December
7,1861, when it received it numerical designation.
This battery was originally Company D — the howitzer company — of the 2d Militia, later 82d Infantry. It served detached from its regiment, and was known as Battery B, N. Y. Volunteer Artillery, until, December 7, 1861, it received its numerical designation from the State. It was recruited and organized in New York city and left the State, commanded by Capt. Thaddeus P. Mott, May 19, 1861. It was mustered in the service of the United States for three years, June 17, 1861, at Washington, D. C, and shortly thereafter detached from its regiment and converted into a light battery. At the expiration of its term of service the men entitled thereto were discharged, and the battery continued in service. It served at and near Washington, D. C., from May, 1861; in W. T. Smith's Brigade, Division Potomac, from August 4, 1861; in Hancock's Brigade, Smith's Division, Army of the Potomac, from October, 1861; in same brigade and division, 4th Corps, from March, 1862; in 2d Division, 6th Corps, from May, 1862; in 1st Division, 4th Corps, from September 15, 1862; in 3d Division, 6th Corps, from October, 1862; in the 2d Division, 6th Corps, from November, 1862; with the Light Division, 6th Corps, from April, 1863; in the Artillery Brigade, 6th Corps, from May, 1863; in the Artillery Reserve, Army of the Potomac, from July 10, 1864; in the Artillery Brigade, 6th Corps, from December, 1864, and June 24, 1865, commanded by Capt. W. A. Harn, it was honorably discharged and mustered out at New York city, having lost by death during its service, killed in action, 12 enlisted men; of wounds received in action, 2 enlisted men; of disease and other causes, 4 enlisted men; total, 18.
Battles and Casualties Table from Phisterer
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military History