Police Commissioner James Bowen, of the Metropolitan Police of New York city,
under authority from this State and with the consent of the general government,
recruited this brigade, with the assistance of the police departments of
New York city and Brooklyn, and was later appointed Brigadier-General of
United States Volunteers by the President. Upon his recommendation, the following
were appointed to organize and command the regiments:
Col. Charles S. Turnbull, July 12, 1862, the 1st Regiment, which became the
Col. L. D. H. Currie, July 12, 1862, the 2d Regiment, which became the 133d
Col. Lewis Benedict, July 12, 1862, the 3d Regiment, which became the 162d
Col. Chas. B. Morton, September 22, 1862, the 4th Regiment, which became the
Col. Theodore W. Parmele, October 3, 1862, the 5th Regiment, which became the
Major Morris De Camp received authority October 28, 1862, to recruit a battalion
of cavalry for the brigade; he was succeeded November 19, 1862, by Maj. Wm.
B. Hyde, and he, January 10, 1863, by Col. Thaddeus P. Mott, under whom the
battalion was increased to a regiment which received the designation 14th
Regiment of Cavalry.
The regiments of this brigade never served together in the field as a brigade
The above is taken from New York in the War of the Rebellion, 3rd
ed. Frederick Phisterer.
Albany: J. B. Lyon Company, 1912.
Back to the Regimental History Project - Civil War Units
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military
March 14, 2006