New York State Military Museum and Veterans Research Center - Unit History Project
     Unit History Project  
  About the Museum
  Contact Us
  Armories & Arsenals
  Unit History Project
   - Revolution
   - Civil
   - Spanish American
   - Mex. Border, 1916
   - WWI
   - WWII
   - Korean
  Veteran's Oral History
  DMNA Homepage
  NY Naval Militia

100th Regiment
Inquiries Relating to the Formation and Movements
of Regiments, Companies, or Batteries
of New York Volunteers,
Submitted by the Bureau of Military Record
Transcribed by Michael Mueller

[This Blank when filled, should be returned by mail or otherwise, to Col. Lockwood L. Doty, Chief of Bureau of Military Record, 173 State Street, Albany N.Y.]

Number of Organization: One Hundredth Regiment Regiment New York Volunteers

Synonyms.  (If known by any name other than number or letters state what): Second Regiment "Eagle Brigade".

Army of service (whether Infantry, Cavalry or Artillery.)   Infantry

Order for raising.      Number           Date 19 August 1861.

Authorization to raise, by whom granted, whether by Governor of New York, or by President or the Secretary of War: Secretary of War up approved by Governor Morgan.

Authorization to raise, to whom given: Gen Gustavus A. Scroggs

Was it raise for a particular brigade or for any special services?  If so, state facts:
It was raised for the "Eagle Brigade".  This Brigade was commenced by Gen. Scroggs under direct authority of the War Department with the design to raise four regiments namely: one in Buffalo by Colonel Brown; one in Sing Sing by Colonel ... P. Jenkins; one in New York by  Colonel Daniel Ullman; and one in New York by Colonel George B. Buckingham.

Place where formed: Buffalo, N.Y.  The governor directed that a branch Depot be there established.  See Copy of order herewith.

Name of Camp: Camp Morgan, in honor of the Governor.

Name of Commandant of Post where formed: Gen. G. A. Scroggs

Location and description of Camp or Barracks, where formed:
[Give the name of the owner of the property, the uses to which previously applied, distance from some well known point in village, &c.  Should there have been taken Photographic or other views, please give such references as might enable us to procure copies.]:
At the Government Fort.

Volunteering, when begun: On September 18, 1861.

Volunteering, when ended:  On March 7, 1862.

Branch Camps and Recruiting Stations:

Name of first Commander: Colonel James M Brown.


By the United States rate per man $ Number of men thus paid.
By the State of New York rate per man $ do
By the County of rate per man $ do
By the City of  rate per man $ do
By Town of rate per man $ do
By Associations rate per man $ do
By Individuals rate per man $ do

No bounties were paid to the men on the organization of the regiment.  In the fall of 1862 after the regiment had been some months in the field a bounty of $50.00 each was paid by the State to 283 recruits sent to the regiment.

Give any facts connected with payment of bounties:

Aid (other than bounties) received from the State of New York, from Counties, Cities and Towns, or from Union Defense Committee, Associations, Committees; local contributions, and gifts, with names of Patrons, giving facts, and referring to authorities were further information can be attained: 
On the first organization of the regiment, it received no aid whenever other than that furnished by General Scroggs and other officers of the regiment.  On its recruitment in the year of 1861 the Board of Trade of the City of Buffalo became its patron and recruited its ranks in the months of July, August, and September 1862.

Circumstances and incidents attending formation.
[Give an account of public meetings held; and send copies of circulars, handbills, advertisements, and other printed matter relating to the organization, enlistment of men, their outfit, maintenance, until received in the United States service, &c.  Refer to other sources of information upon these subjects.  If resulting from previous militia organizations mention this fact.]
No public meetings were held in aid of the regiment.  It was recruited wholly by the enterprise and liberality of its officers.  Genl. Scroggs furnished nine hundred dollars worth of blankets, on his own responsibility; and when the officers recruiting had exhausted all their available means, and their companies were yet below their maximum - one of their brother officers (Colonel Otis) loaned them fourteen hundred dollars, every dollar of which was promptly refunded at the first pay table.


Regimental consolidations, if any, during formation and prior to muster as a regiment.

Regimental consolidations, if any, at any time subsequent to muster.


Original companies, where and by whom principally raised: (add letters if for artillery or cavalry regiments.)

A. Captain Daniel D. Nash           from Spring... Erie Co., NY
B. Captain Walter B. Moore          from Le Roy, NY
C. Captain John Nicholson           from Buffalo, NY
D. Captain Lewis G.  Payne          from [Tondawanda], NY
E. Captain Michael Bailey           from Buffalo, NY
F. Captain Charles H. [Rauert]      from Buffalo, NY
G. Captain George Hinsen            from Buffalo, NY
H. Captain P.  Edwin Dye            from Buffalo, NY
I. Captain Charles Elwood Morse     from Buffalo, NY
K. Captain Charles H. Henshaw       from Buffalo, NY


If any consolidations of companies to place before muster, please give facts:


Muster in of original companies:

  Date of Muster No. of Men & Officers Place Where Mustered By Whom Mustered
A 1861 74.13 = 87  Camp Morgan, Buffalo Capt. HB [Heining], U.S. Infantry,
Lt. H.  Lutting, ... Inf
B 1861 67.16 = 83 do do
C 1861 70.18 = 88  do do
D 1861 87.4 = 91 do do
E 1861 65.18 = 83 do do
F 1861 72.18 = 90 do do
G 1861 95.13 = 108 do do
H 1861 66.18 = 84 do do
I 1861 75.19 = 94 do do
K 1861 66.19 = 85 do do
Sub-total 893 do do
Field and Staff 8    
Total 901    


If after muster any consolidations of companies took place at rendezvous, or in the field, give date and letters of companies consolidated, as well as any attending facts.


Give a date of muster into the United States service as a Regiment: Jan 10th 1862

Number of men mustered in:

Place where mustered in: Buffalo

Name and rank of Mustering Officer:

Number of men mustered as recruits after regimental muster and before regiment left the State:


Give name or names of medical officers who examined recruits at formation of a regiment.
Surgeons, Boardman, Ketinger, Murray


Give number of recruits received into the regiment after it took the field:

If possible, give date of the arrival of each detachment:

If a full company or companies of recruits were received, state what letter they assumed and what companies were consolidated to make room for them:


Departure from camp.    Date, March 7, 1862    Strength of command, 900

Departure from State.    Date, March 10, 1862   Strength of command, 900

Ceremonies attending departure from camp or State:

Destination on first leaving the State: City of Washington

Route, with dates and incidents or accidents, modes of conveyance, &c.:
From Buffalo to New York; by Central and Hudson River where R. R. - arrived at Park Barracks at 6 1/2 PM, Saturday March 8th.  Sunday, March 9th received arms, accoutrements, and camp equipage.  Left New York for Washington Monday, March 10th, at 1:00 PM.

Day of arrival at destination: arrived at Washington Tuesday, March 11th at 5:00 PM

Inspection upon entering service:
[Give names and ranked of Inspecting Officer or Officers, and times, place, &c.  If the organization was previously mustered into the State's Service, give the date, place, and term, the name and rank of Mustering-in-officer, &c.]

Ordnance and arms supplied; description of arms furnished, specifying kind, calibre, where, when, and from whom received, changes, losses in battle, &c.:
Regiment first armed with Enfield rifles; calibre 58 - received at New York, March 10th, 1862 - these were changed for Austrian Rifles at Hilton Head, March 26th, 1863 - and these were finally changed for Springfield Rifles, which the Regiment retained until it was mustered out the service.

Uniforms first furnished; where and from whom received; their quality:

Horses; number received, and number lost in the service, &c.:

Assigned to what Brigade, Division or Corps, with dates and changes:
Regiment first assigned - March 18th, 1862 - as fifth Battalion First Brigade, Casey's Division; at Meridian Hill; and was first under temporary command of Col Davis of the 104th Pennsylvania Vols, as Senior Col of the Brigade.  Brigadier Gen Henry M. Naglee assumed command of the Brigade in front of the fortifications of Yorktown, on the 28th of April 1862 and continued until relieved by Gen Hunter at St Helena Island, Feb 20th, 1863.  During the campaign of the Peninsula the Regiment was in Gen Keye's Corps; and after the Battle of Fair Oaks,  was in Gen Peck's Division, until ordered to North Carolina, December 27th, 1863 - when Naglees Brigade was transferred to Foster's Department and finally to Hunter's Department.


How many flags have been carried by the Regiment, and what is the history of each?
[Give a history of each Flag presented to or carried by the Regiment, stating, 1st.  If presented, by whom presented, with names of donors and time, place, and circumstances; 2d.  Whether National or Regimental; 3d.  Whether silk or bunting; 4th.  In what battles carried; 5th.  How much and in what part worn or injured; 6th.  How many bullet holes it shows; 7th. Names of Color Bearers and of color guard who were killed or injured in battle; 8th If lost in battle, give date and circumstances; 9th. If returned to the National or State authorities, give dates; 10th.  If returned to original donors, give names and place of present deposit; 11th.  If accompanied by original staff, state if such staff was injured in battle, or if staff was lost, give facts.]

I.    The first flag select was presented to the regiment on December 10th, 1861 by Company "B".  This flag had been given to Company "B" by the ladies of the village of LeRoy, before the Company left that place for Camp Morgan.

II.   The Board of Trade of the City of Buffalo presented a flag to the regiment on the 9th of November, 1862, while it was in camp at Gloucester Point.

III.  The Board of Trade of the City of Buffalo presented a second flag to the regiment on January 10th, 1863, while it was stationed at Morris Island, Charleston Harbor.

Marches; list of, with names of places through which marched, names of camps, dates, &c.
The regiment pitched its first camp at that Meridian Hill, March 12th, 1862 - made its first march from Meridian Hill to Alexandria VA, March 28 - pitched its second camp near Newport News, April 5th - made its second march of 24 miles, from Newport News, to Warwick Court-house, April 16 - made its 3 march of 3 miles, from Warwick Court-house, and camped in front of fortifications of Yorktown.  May 4th enemy evacuated their fortified lines, and retreated to Williamsburg - Regiment passed the evacuated lines, marched 10 miles toward Williamsburg, and bivouaced for the night.  May 5th battle of Williamsburg - Regiment bivouaced on the battle ground - took no part in the battle, as it came up just as the enemy retreated.  May 6th Camped near Williamsburg for 3 days.  May 9th line formed at 9:00 AM, faced toward Richmond and marched 13 miles.  May 10th made a short marched of 6 or 8 miles and camped - remained 2 days in camp, waiting for rashions.  May 13th, a tedious march of 14 hours; arrived at New Kent Courthouse at 2:00 AM and encamped.  May 17th, marched from New Kent Courthouse, to Baltimore crossroads, a distance of 7 miles.  May 19th marched 6 miles in the rain, pitched camp in an open field, 18 miles from Richmond.  May 20th Regiment detailed for picket duty, and Brigade guard.  May 21, marched 2 miles and pitched camp in a beautiful meadow, 1/2 mile from Chickahomany Creek.  May 23 crossed Chickahomany creek at Bottom's bridge, marched one mile beyond the bridge up the Richmond road; halted, recrossed to old camp for tents and equipage, and returned and camped for the night, May 24th, marched 4 miles in the rain - false alarm on the march, formed line of battle - finally camped in the pines 8 1/2 miles from Richmond.  May 26th, baggage ordered to the rear across the Chickahomany - camp moved forward 1 1/2 miles, to Seven Pines and from that time until the battle of Seven Pines (or Fair Oaks) May 31st the whole Brigade was constantly on picket or fatigue duty.  On the 4th of June Regiment fell back to the camp it occupied the first night it crossed Bottom's Bridge.  Here it remained inactive until the 27th of June, when it broke camp, took up a defensive position in front of Bottom's Bridge - tore up the bridge, dug rifle pits, threw up breast works, and disputed passage of the Creek with Stonewall Jackson's forces during the 28th and 29th of June.  On the evening of the 29th,  marched 5 miles, crossed White Oaks Swamp and camped - the 30th, disputed the passage of the swamp with the forces under Stonewall Jackson, from 12 M to 10:00 PM, when we took up our line of march for Carter's Hill - a distance of 15 miles - where we arrived at sunrise, and rested the most of the day.  July 2nd, ordered into line at 3:00 AM, marched 3 miles, Brigade took up and changed position of line of battle until 10:00 AM, when it formed on the brow of the hill and stood in line until 3:00 PM - during which time the main Army of the Peninsula filed past, and took up its position at Harrison's Landing.

Battles in which engaged:
[Give the names of each; with the date; position to which assigned; time of beginning and end of engagement; particular services, is detached from the main body; number of killed, wounded, prisoners lost, and losses by manner unknown.  Also facts relative to the burial of the dead, and the care and disposition of the wounded, the general results of the battle as affecting the organization, and any other facts of interest.]

The regiment lay in front of the rebel fortifications at Yorktown, VA from April 18th to May 4th, 1862.  While there it was twice under fire on picket line, but suffered no casualties.

      At the battle of Williamsburg, the regiment was in line of battle from 8 o'clock AM to 5:00 PM, when it was moved on double quick about three miles to the extreme right, but arrived only in time to see the enemy retreat into the woods.

      At the battle of Seven Pines or Fair Oaks, the regiment was in advance, and was deployed on the left of the Richmond road into a Pine Slashing, and was scarcely into line before the enemy opened with musketry.  The regiment was about twenty rods in advance of the first line of rifle pits, which position it held until it was flanked and received orders to fall back.  Companies D, E and F were on picket duty on the right of the nine mile road, two miles in advance of Fair Oaks Station.  They together with one Company of the 104th Regt Pennsylvania Vols, and one Company of the Eleventh Regiment Maine Vols, held the enemy in check for about three hours until General Summer got into position and thus saved General Casey's Division from being captured.  The Regiment lost in this battle three officers killed and 16 privates killed; three officers wounded, and 138 privates wounded; three officers and about Eighty privates taken prisoners nearly all of whom were captured by the rebels on the picket line.

Battle of Seven Pines
Battle of Seven Pines

      In his official report of the Battle of Fair Oaks, General Naglee says: "The picket line proposed to be kept up, and the supports to the same, from the left of the above picket line on the Williamsburg road to the White Oak Swamp, were especially entrusted to Genl Couch.  This was the line of our advance on Saturday, the thirty-first of May, at twelve M., when two shells thrown into our camp first announced the hostile intentions of the enemy.  No alarm was felt by any one, for it was seldom that twenty four hours passed that we did not exchange similar salutations.

      "Soon after it was reported that an attack was impending the usual orders were issued, and within half an hour the troops moved to positions that were assigned to them by Genl Casey.  Being at this time on the " nine mile road",  near a breast work fronting the "Old Tavern" then under construction, and judging from the discharges of musketry becoming frequent, that something serious was intended.  I hastened in the direction indicated by the fire, and soon arrived upon the ground, on the Williamsburg road, about three quarters of a mile in front of the "Seven Pines", where I found Genl Casey, who had placed the One Hundredth New York, Col. Brown, on the left of that road, behind a field of large timber that had been cut down.  On the right of the same road was placed Captain Spratt's New York Battery of four pieces.  On the right of this were three companies of the Eleventh Maine, Col Plaisted; and on the right of the Eleventh Maine were eight companies of the One Hundred and Fourth Pennsylvania, Col. Davis.  Four companies of the Eleventh Maine were on picket duty, but being driven in, formed with the Fifty Six New York, Lieut Col Jordan, at his encampment, in line of battle parallel with and about eight hundred yards in rear of the picket line -  two hundred yards to the left of the railroad.  Colonel Dodge's Fifty-Second Pennsylvania, supporting the picket line on the extreme right, formed at his encampment, on the nine mile road, three quarters of a mile in rear of the large [Garnett] field.  The remaining companies of the One Hundredth and Fourth Pennsylvania and Eleventh Maine were on  picket duty along the large field in the direction of the Chickahomany.

      "Soon after of my arrival on the ground - about one o'clock PM - the fire then been frequent, and from the direction of the main Richmond Stage-road, Gen Casey give an order to the One Hundredth New York, and One Hundred and Fourth Pennsylvania, and Eleventh Maine to charge, when, as reported by Col Davis; the Regiments sprang forward "towards the enemy with a tremendous yell.  In our way was a high a worm fence, which cut our former line of battle, but the boys sprang over it, into the same enclosure with the enemy, where we formed and renewed the fight.  The battle now a raged with great fury, and the firing was much hotter than before.  Spratt's battery during this time had kept up a lively fire in the same direction.  At about 3:00 PM the enemy being largely reinforced, pressed us in front and flank, and seeing that we could not hold our position much longer, unless reinforced, I dispatched an officer to Genl Casey for that purpose.  The Col of the One Hundredth New York being killed, the Col of the One Hundredth and Fourth Pennsylvania severely wounded the Major mortally wounded, Lieut Col being absent, half of our men having been killed or wounded, the enemy ten times our number, within a few feet of us - one of them striking Sergeant Porter the left guide of the One Hundred and Fourth over the neck with his musket - several of the Eleventh Maine being bayoneted, and receiving no reinforcements, we were ordered with Spratt's battery, to retire, but unfortunately the horses of one of the pieces being killed we were compelled to abandon that piece".

      General Naglee's brigade of which the regiment formed a part defended Bottom's Bridge against Stonewall Jackson on the 28th and 29th of June 1862, and on the 30th of June the Brigade defended White Oak Swamp Bridge against the same force.  On the latter day, June 30, the Hundredth was divided, the left wing of the Brigade consisting of Companies ... of the Hundredth and the Eleventh Maine Regt under command of Colonel Otis was stationed directly in front of White Oak Swamp Bridge. While Companies ... of the Hundredth were ...  The losses of the regiment on the 28, 29, and 30th were ...

      Naglee's Brigade formed the rear guard at Carter's Hill on the last day of the memorable Seven Days retreat across the Peninsula to Harrison's Landing.

      On January ... 1863 the regiment was ordered to the department of North Carolina.  It landed at Morehead City on Dec [29], 1862.  From North Carolina the Regiment proceeded to Saint Helena Island S.C.; and on the 22nd March it was ordered to proceed at once to Coles Island, preliminary to operations against Charleston.  On the 27th March, the regiment landed at Coles island, Charleston Harbor, and was here place in an important position where was required energy and industry on the part of all.

      The regiment alone occupied the Island and was without the immediate means of retreat.  To the regiment was assigned a portion of the first work of preparations towards the advance upon Charleston.  Daily reconnaissances were made by one or more companies from this point who obtained valuable information.  So well was every duty performed that the regiment was again selected by the General commanding to lead the advance upon Folley Island, which brought it to the very front of the enemy strongholds.

      It remained on the latter Island in camp until the batteries of Folly Island intended for the reduction of the works on the South end of Morris Island were commenced.  Col Danby of the 100th was ordered to the command of Folly Island and a large portion of the labor of erecting the batteries thereon was performed by the 100th regiment.

      This labor was fatiguing as most of it was required to be done at night, and for nearly a fortnight the men were deprived of their accustomed rest.  A grove was here selected for a regimental camp.  Tents were pitched, company streets graded and ovens built.  So attentive were the officers for the comfort and health that not a man was lost to the regiment by sickness during its stay on Folly Island although daily furnishing a long line of pickets and heavy fatigue parties for building the numerous works on the Island.

      Chaplain [Sinn] says: "Captain Payne of Co. D and 40 of his company, were detailed soon after our occupying this island, on special duty by the Genl Commanding - scouting &c., in which duty Captain Payne has proved himself eminently useful.  "His services being so valuable, Genl ... has retained him for this purpose since our being on this island.  And here let me say that a greater part of our success in taking Morris Island was owing to the very valuable information which he was able to give the General Commanding in regards the position, force, &c of the enemy.  Colonel Dandy was also detailed in charge of the Works building at the North end of Folley Island, directly opposite the enemy's batteries on this island.  For nearly three weeks was he kept busy both day and night, still retaining command of his regiment, which was some three or 4 miles from him. 

      "How well he here, as well as Captain Payne, performed their duties, can be seen by an extract from a report of Genl Vodges, who was in command of Folly Island at the time; "I am greatly indebted to Col Dandy, who commanded during the construction of the works, for the efficient discipline and order which he preserved.  I beg leave to commend Col Danby particularly to the favorable consideration of the General Commanding". 

      " During that period of my command, I have been greatly assisted by Captain Payne, 100th N.Y. Vols in collecting very valuable information as to the enemy's position &c.  I take great pleasure in commending him to the favorable consideration of the General Commanding".

      Every night or two our regiment was sent up in front, either to support the batteries in case of attack, or to aid in building the works.  Here they displayed great coolness for they were frequently exposed to a galling of fire.  Thus, night after night, were they deprived of their rest, amid one continual round of labor, and all without a murmur.  The night before the final attack upon this Island, they were sent up in front to support the batteries, with orders to cross upon Morris Island so soon as the guns of the enemy had been silenced.  This we did, and were the third regiment to cross the stream.  It was soon ascertained that the enemy had retreated within the shelter of Fort Wagner, leaving their dead and wounded on the field.  After standing in line of battle for a long time upon the beach, we took up a position according to order, across the island, which at this point was very narrow, and there remained until the second day, when at dark the regiment was ordered up to the front in the trenches, and there to do picket duty.  Here behind the sand hills, almost buried beneath the hot burning sand, and most the time under the heavy firing of Fort Wagner and Sumter, they remained two days and nights.  During this time, five men of Co. I and one of Co. G were wounded by the enemy's shells.  After leaving the front we took up a position about midway upon the island, where we remained until the day preceeding the fatal charge upon Fort Wagner, though in the mean time  furnishing heavy details for fatigue, both in front and at the south end of the island.  It was about this time that Co. I Captain Brunck, was put on duty at the south end of the island unloading ordnance, &c, from the boats, and that day Company B, Lieut Lynch, commanding was also detailed for the same purpose.  This accounts for these two companies not being in the engagement. - " On Saturday, the 18th, came an order that our regiment should form in line of battle with our brigade the 2nd on the beach at 9:00 AM for the purpose of a reserve for the 1st Brigade, Genl Strong, who were to make the charge upon Fort Wagner, should one be made.  Here they stood in the broiling sun all day, while the Navy were trying to silence the guns at Fort Wagner.  Would that we might say, that they did accomplish something; but they did not even damage the Works, leave alone silencing at least one gun; nor did they, as we have since learned do any damage whatever within the Fort.  Just before dark, our brigade move towards the front.  At dark the terrible charge was made.  From some cause as yet unexplained, the 1st Brigade broke - the 2nd immediately pushed forward to their place with no orders but to advance.  Our regiment passed right through the ranks of the last regiment in the 1st Brigade.  The result you already know.  Our regiment fought well and nobly, being gallantly led by our Colonel, who upon reaching the parapet waved his sword and urged them on.  There it was that our colors were planted upon the works, but at the expense of our brave Color Sergeant's life who fell mortally wounded in the attempt.  They were born off by Corporal Spooner who has been already rewarded for his gallantry by the Colonel who has promoted him to a Sergeantcy and also Colorbearer to the regiment".

      On the morning of the 10th of July at 4:45 the Union batteries opened a [brisk] fire on Folley Island.  Our Monitors commenced running in and soon engaged the rebel batteries at Cummings Point, at about 8 o'clock A.M., the Union forces having rapidly gained advantages commenced crossing to Lighthouse Inlet to ...  and soon drove the rebels from their works and took some prisoners, without much and loss on our side.  The 100th was in this movement and with the rest of the force advanced with great coolness halfway up the Island, where it lay during the day, the Monitors mean while playing on Fort Wagner.

      From the 10th to the 18th, the 100th had its share in picketing, skirmishing, and fortifying against the continual shelling of the rebels.

      At daylight on the 18th the regiment fell back from the picket lines to the rifle pits.  Genl Gilmore in cooperation with the Monitors and Gunboats now opened a bombardment on  Fort Wagner.  After a terrific cannonade of eight hours without the desired result an assault at night was resolved upon.  The 100th was formed for the attack at 9 o'clock in the morning and remained on the beach in the broiling sun until three in the afternoon when it was of ordered to advance this was done until reaching a point on the Island under the fire of Forts Johnson, Sumter, Greg and Wagner.  While drawn up in line here here a round shot from Fort Sumter took three men from the ranks.  The Colonel ordered the gap thus made to be closed up which order was promptly obeyed.  At dusk therefore General Strong ordered his brigade to advance to the assault.  It moved at once, and before a double quick had been ordered a tremendous fire was opened on it from barbette guns at Fort Sumter, from the batteries on Cummings Point and from the guns of Fort Wagner.  The guns from Fort Wagner swept the beach and those from Sumpter and Cummings Point enfiladed it on the left. In the midst of this terrible fire they reached the Fort, portions of the 54th Mass, 6th Conn, and 48th NY gained the parapet, and engaged in a hand to hand fight with the enemy and for nearly half an hour held their ground, falling only when nearly every commissioned officer was shot down.  The rebels fought with the utmost desperation, and so did the largest portion of Genl Strong's Brigade as long as there was an officer to command it.

      "It was now the turn of Col Putnam of the Seventh New Hampshire commanding the Second Brigade, composed of the 7th New Hampshire, the 62nd Ohio, the 64th Ohio and the 100th New York, to make the attempt.  But Alas!  The task was too much for him.   Through the same terrible fire he led one half of it fighting every moment of the time with the utmost desperation, and as with the First Brigade it was not until he himself fell killed, and nearly all of his officers wounded and no reinforcements arriving, that is men fell back, and the rebel shout and cheer of Victory was heard above the roar of Sumter, and the guns from Cummings Point".

      The flag of the 100th which had been presented to it by the Buffalo Board of Trade, was planted on the walls of Fort Wagner by Sergeant Flanders of Co. A and there remained until the regiment was compelled to fall back when the flag was brought off by Corporal Spooner, Sergeant Flanders having meantime been killed in a hand to hand fight on the parapets with a rebel for his colors.

      The 100th, went into the fight with about 500 enlisted men and fifteen officers.  On the following Sunday the regiment mustered only 225 men and five officers.

      The following are the casualties of the 100th in this attack upon fort Wagner.  Killed: A Berman, Co F, shot in thigh; Lewis Bilhauer, Co A; Howard Rebschal, Co K; George Hauda, Co A; C. P. Frank, Co E; Julius C Skinner, Co E; [Maller] Caldwell, Co K; William Kerr, Co H; Christie Malley, Co C; George Kilven, Co C; Christopher Shelal, Co A; Peter Daniels, Co G

      Killed                        12
      Wounded                       101
      Prisoners and missing         64

      Between the 29th of August and second of September 1863, the casualties in the 100th arising from ...  amounted to nine men, as follows:

      Jacob Subert,     Co E. - foot amputated,
      M Stores          Co H. - foot,    
      Lieut H. S.  Peck Co B. - wounded,
      Fred Sneller      Co I. - side, dead,
      Casper Becle      Co B. - back,
      Nicholas Schmidt  Co F. - killed,
      James Wood  Co H. - missing,
      Auguste Schaffer  Co F. - head,
      George W Allen    Co C. - arm & leg - dead

      On January ...  1864, the veterans of the Hundredth  numbering ...  under command of Colonel Dandy arrived at Buffalo via the New York and the Erie railroad and were formally received by ...  About ...  of the veterans of the regiment reenlisted, and ...  new recruits were added to their number under the patronage of the Board of Trade of the City of Buffalo.  On the ...  1864, the regiment thus recruited, left for ...  and on the ...  it reached ...  It was here placed in the ...  Brigade of the...  Division of the army corps under General Butler.  It took part in the ...

      It took part in the engagement at Drury's Bluffs on the ...  1864, where it ...

      It took part in the engagement at Deep Bottom on the ...  1864, where it ...

      In October 1864, the regiment had been again recruited ...  men having been added through the efforts of the Buffalo Board of Trade and under the command of Major James H Dandy, a brother of Colonel Dandy, it entered upon the closing campaign of the War.  At this time the Hundredth formed part of Colonel Dandy's Brigade of Forbes Division of the Twenty Fourth Corps Army of the James.  The regiment fought three days at Hatcher's Run, where it lost ...

      It participated in the assault on Fort Gregg near Petersburgh.

      It was engaged in the closing battle of the war, at Appomattox Courthouse, the scene of General Lee's surrender.  It here ...

      For special gallantry in the assault on Fort Gregg, Petersburgh, Va., April 2, 1865, where Major Dandy commanding the regiment was killed on the parapets of the wall, the Colors of the regiment were surmounted with a splendid Eagle in Bronze, by order of Major General John Gibbon, commanding the Twenty Fourth Corps.

      On July ... 1865, the regiment of the One Hundred And Forty Eighth numbering ... men and officers, the remnant of the One Hundredth And Fifty Eighth regiment New York Volunteers numbering ... men, were consolidated with the Hundredth bringing it up to the standard of 980 men, as follows:

      Hundredth,              men and officers
      One Hundred And Forty Eighth  "     "
      One Hundred And Fifty Eighth        "     "

            In all.

[Give a statement of those who were killed in battle, died of wounds received in battle, or by accident, died from sickness, weer discharged from various causes, as physical disability, error of muster, or order of civil authority, &c.  Also those dismissed, specifying those by order of President, by sentence of Court Martial, &c., and those transferred or captured.  Also those who deserted, and if known, specify whether to the enemy or homeward.  List of names of each class of these would be preferable, but in addition to this tabular statement by companies is desired.]

Whole number on rolls of the regiment:
[Instead of furnishing the statistics above requested, a copy of the Muster-out Rolls of the Regiment would be preferred.  Should the Muster-out Rolls be furnished they will be copied and returned.]

Distinguished merit:
[Names of officers and privates, who may have received medals, or honorable mention in reports, for meritorious conduct in battles, and by whom mentioned, with copies or references to the order or report.  Also the names of those who deserve especial record for honorable services; crosses or metals of merit, &c.]

At Harrison's Landing the regiment remained in camp from the 2nd of July, until the 15th of August, when it commenced its retreat to Yorktown, where it arrived on the 20th - on the 22nd it went into camp at Gloucester Point, where it remained, and was chiefly occupied on picket and fatigue duty, until the 27th of Dec, when it embarked on board transport for North Carolina, and landed at Morehead City December 30, marched 3 miles, and went into camp at Caroline City.  Here the regiment remained until the 16th June, 1862, when it again embarked on board transport, for an expedition against Wilmington under General Foster - but that having failed, the transports finally sailed for Hilton Head, North Carolina; the regiment landed on Saint Helena island, and went into camp the 11th of Feb.  Here it remained until the 26th of March, when it again went on board transports, and was landed on Cole's Island March 27th.

Date and place of departure from the field:

Date and place of muster-out:


Page image is here.



New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military History
Last modified: June 28, 2011

Valid HTML 4.01!

Home | Contact Us | Language Access