The New York State Military History Museum will be closed until further notice

New York State Military Museum and Veterans Research Center - Unit History Project
     Unit History Project  
  About the Museum
  Contact Us
  Armories & Arsenals
  Unit History Project
   - Revolution
   - Civil
   - Spanish American
   - Mex. Border, 1916
   - WWI
   - WWII
   - Korean
  Veteran's Oral History
  DMNA Homepage
  NY Naval Militia

132nd Regiment, NY Volunteer Infantry
Civil War Newspaper Clippings

DEATH OF NEW YORK SOLDIERS.—David Mawser, 167th Regiment, Lewis W. Quay, 7th Artillery, and George W. Stevens, 132d Infantry.

TREMAIN.--On Thursday morning, December 25, Lieut. WALTER R.TREMAIN, of the One Hundred and Thirty-second regiment N. Y. S. V., of typhoid pneumonia, contracted whilst on duty at Suffolk, Va., second son of Edwin R. and Mary Tremain, aged 19 years.
His friends and those of his family, and the members of Third Company, Seventh regiment N. G., are invited to attend the funeral, this (Saturday) afternoon, at one o'clock, from the residence of his parents, No. 30 West Thirty-fifth street.

Military Movements in New York and Vicinity.
The encampment of Spinola's Empire brigade, at East New York, was crowded with thousands of persons on Sunday afternoon last, on the occasion of a dress parade and review, which took place between four and five o'clock. Among those on the ground with the General Commanding were Generals Busteed and Strong, together with other military and civic gentlemen of note. The brigade presented a fine appearance, there being over three thousand men present. At the end of the review they were addressed by General Spinola, who congratulated them on their splendid appearance.
The Second regiment of the brigade has orders to leave on to-morrow, and Colonel Claassen has issued the following in relation to the matter:—
NEW YORK, Sept. 15, 1862.
This regiment being under orders to march on Wednesday, 17th inst., all officers, non-commissioned officers and privates of this command are hereby ordered to report themselves immediately for duty at regimental camp at East New York.
Any enlisted man who fails to report by Wednesday, 17th inst., at 10 o'clock, A. M., will forfeit all claim for additional bounty, advance pay, &c., &c., and will otherwise be considered and treated as a deserter.
Commandants of companies are hereby ordered to have duplicate copies of their pay rolls ready by Wednesday, 17th inst., at 11 o'clock A. M., when the muster for payment will take place. One hour previous to the muster for payment, Lieutenant Colonel Prescott is directed to hold an inspection of the command, and collect together all civil dress or portions thereof, as no such articles will be allowed in the regiment. By order of
Colonel Commanding 132d Reg't. N. Y. S. V.
D. A. BOKEE, Adjutant.

The Second regiment of the Empire Brigade, Colonel P. J. Claassen, is under orders to march to-day, and will leave the camp, at East New York, early in the morning, en route to the seat of war. A handsome horse and equipments were yesterday presented to the colonel of the regiment by the officers of the command. The ceremony was performed in the presence of the troops, and was attended by a number of officers belonging to the various regiments in camp around the city. The camp presented quite an animated appearance. After the ceremony the officers and visitors sat down to a well provided dinner, and joviality for a time reigned supreme. The following are some of the principal officers present on the occasion:—Colonel P. J. Claassen, Lieutenant Colonel _____ Prescott, Major ____ Hitchcock, Adjutant D. A. Bokee, Captains Bowles, Goodwin, Honstein, Wilsey, Smith, Vanderbosh, &c.; officer of the day, Captain Michay. The line of march will be through Grand street, the Bowery, Fourteenth street, and Broadway to Cortlandt street,
thence to the ferry.

NEW YORK, Sept. 23, 1862.
This regiment being under orders to march on the 24th instant, every officer and enlisted man of the command is ordered to report at once in camp. Payments of bounties and advance pay and issues of overcoats and knapsacks will take place to-day. Officers will bear in mind that no baggage exceeding in size a large valise will be received by the quartermaster for transportation. By order of
Colonel Commanding 132d regiment, N . Y. V.
D. A. BOKEE, Adjutant.

This organization—otherwise known as the One Hundred and Thirty-second regiment N. Y. V.—has been recruited nearly to completion without having received pecuniary aid from any outside quarter. It is composed of able bodied and trusty men, under the leadership of competent and efficient officers. By reference to our advertising columns it will be seen that an appeal is now made to the patriotic citizens to furnish some pecuniary aid for the incidental requirements of the regiment whereby they may be the more speedily enabled to take the field in the common cause of the country. It will be seen that many of our most influential merchants have stepped forward and contributed handsomely towards this object, and it is right to expect that others will follow their example.

Departure of the Second Regiment Empire Brigade, One Hundred and Thirty-second New York Volunteers.
The Second regiment of the Empire Brigade, Colonel P. J. Claassen commanding, took its departure for the seat of war yesterday afternoon. The regiment struck tents about four o'clock, and marched to the Fulton ferry, where they embarked on board the Kill Von Kull, which takes them per the Camden and Amboy route to Washington. This is one of the finest military organizations which has left for the seat of war for some time. Colonel Claassen, who has been acting in the capacity of brigade inspector, has used the most strenuous exertions in order that his command should be well disciplined, and he has eminently succeeded. The following sketch of the Colonel's military career will prove interesting:—
Colonel Claassen is thirty-four years old, enjoying robust health, and a man of sober and regular habits. He has had a collegiate and military education, and is, by nature, taste and appearance, the soldier and officer. He has for some years belonged to the celebrated New York Light Guard, Company A, Seventy-first regiment, and was the drill officer of the new members of said company. At the outbreak of this rebellion Colonel Claassen was in Europe, on business, when he at once returned, and left for the seat of war as Captain commanding Company I, Ninth regiment New York State Militia. Said company was acknowledged at the time to be the best disciplined and most efficient company of that regiment. He was for some time with his company and other forces under orders of Brigadier General Mansfield, in command near Washington, and thence reported to his regiment. Upon review of the Ninth regiment by Major General Banks, Captain Claassen and his command were detached from the regiment for escort duty to General Banks, which honorable position was held by him for over three months, and as such he was at Ball's Bluff. His command was then ordered to their regiment; but the captain was detailed as military commandant of fortifications thrown up for instruction by orders of Major General Banks, under the able supervision of Captain J. W. Abert, United States Army Topographical Engineers. Afterwards Captain Claassen was for two months a prominent member of Division General Court Martial, sitting at Frederick City, Md., and again afterwards, by orders of Major General McDowell, a member of Division General Court Martial held near Warrenton, Va., Brigadier General Ricketts presiding. Thence, having resigned from the Ninth regiment as captain, he came on here and was appointed to his present position. The Colonel is a strict disciplinarian, impartial and just, knows with what dignity to command, and his varied experience in the field gives his officers that confidence requisite to produce a successful unit, and they obey him willingly.
Previous to the departure of the regiment yesterday, the members of Company F, through the hands of Orderly Sergeant Jones, presented Captain Goodwin, their commander, with a magnificent sword, sash and belt, as a token of their esteem for him as a man and a soldier. This company is one of the best in the regiment. In it are enlisted a highly respectable class of men. Individual cases of patriotism may be mentioned, among which is the fact of private Daniel Gibbon, who has thrown up position and emolument in order to gird on the armor of his country. He has also left a large circle of friends by whom he was highly esteemed.
The following is a list of the officers of the regiment:--
Field Officers—Colonel, P. J. Claassen; Lieutenant Colonel, Charles E. Prescott; Major, G. H. Hitchcock; Adjutant, D. A. Bokee; Surgeon, P. B. Rice; Chaplain, Rev. Dr. Francis Mansfield; Quartermaster, V. E. Stiger; Assistant Surgeon, J. R. Mansfield; Second Assistant Surgeon, Wm. T. H. Curtland.
Company A—Captain, George Micha; First Lieutenant, Eugene Berri; Second Lieutenant, John Walker.
Company B—Captain, D. W. Diggs; First Lieutenant, C. G. Smith; Second Lieutenant, Thomas Green.
Company C—Captain, Abraham Dowdney; First Lieutenant, Walter Tremaine; Second Lieutenant, Thomas J. Fitch.
Company D—Captain, William Vanderbosch; First Lieutenant, Thomas Schuchardt; Second Lieutenant, C. C. Cusick.
Company E—Captain, Caleb D. Weeks; First Lieutenant, William McArdle; Second Lieutenant, Peter S. Geraty.
Company F— Captain, Thomas F. Goodwin; First Lieutenant, George H. Swords; Second Lieutenant, Thomas Henry.
Company G—Captain, D. W. Fiske; First Lieutenant, R. E. Fiske; Second Lieutenant, William McSmith.
Company H—Captain, W. W. Bowles; First Lieutenant, William Bingham; Second Lieutenant, John W. Fenton.
Company I--Captain, John B. Houstain; First Lieutenant, William B. Avery; Second Lieutenant, Azro L. Bagley.
Company K--Captain, A. W. Smith; First Lieutenant, Jacob Wilsey; Second Lieutenant, Charles Simpson.

This regiment, which was raised for ant went out with Spinola's Empire Brigade, arrived yesterday morning, and stopped at the Battery Barracks. Colonel P. J. Classen is in command.

LETTER FROM AN INDIAN VOLUNTEER.—The following letter, written by an Indian Volunteer in the 132d Regiment to a brother Indian in the Cattaraugus Reservation, is kindly handed to us, and we publish it both for the pluck it displays and the unique style in which it is couched:—
CAMP CLAASSEN, NOV. 6th, 1862.
MY DEAR SIR—I am inform you this time to let you know that I am all right, and I hope it this letter be the same to you. My dear sir, I want to know why you don't answer my letters. I want you to tell me what that for. I being fight to Black Warter River last week. We had pretty good fight. I hope will take another good fight before the month up. I'll fight the Rebels as long as I live in God world—that me—my name John Titus--ha! ha! ha! ha! If thent so then I make it so—ha! ha! ha! ha! Me and Jesse Jimison can't fight good—we can't shoot the rebels any time—we not afraid the enemy.
We all well the Allegany Indians expect one, that is C. W. Jimison—he's sick very bad—we sorry for him, but we hope he will get well. C. W. Jimison he's the best officer we got in our Company—he's kindness to every body—that's all I cant say about him.
How I want you write back as soon as you can—why don't you write to your brother John Titus—I tell you I want you to write to me—if you don't let somebody write to me—that all.
JOHN TITUS, for the Union Man.

—We find the following in the Newbern (N. C.) Times, of the 23d inst. Lieut. Cusick is from this vicinity and well known in Buffalo:
" We see mentioned in the papers the name of C. C. Cusick, the young chief of the Tuscaroras, (now holding the position of Lieutenant in the 132d N. Y. Infantry,) in connection with the proposed appointment by Government of Commissioners to treat with those tribes of Indians West of the Mississippi known as the Sioux and Yanktonais. We have the pleasure of knowing this young Indian chief and officer, and we think his selection for so delicate a mission, as aiding to secure peace and security to the frontier settlements of the North west at a time like the present would be of great advantage to the country. Lieut. Cusick, we believe, speaks fluently the language of eight tribes of his people, viz., Tuscarora, Shawnee, Delaware, Mohawk, Seneca, Oneida, Cayuga, and Sioux."
An intoxicated soldier named John Byron, belonging to the 132d N. Y.
Regiment, forced his way into the family circle of the theatre last evening, without a ticket, and when ordered by the usher, Geo. Meech, either to procure a ticket or leave the house, he became unruly and abusive, and threatened to shoot Mr. Meech. He drew a pistol from his pocket and presented it, but was grappled from behind by officer Tallman, and was thus only prevented from effecting his purpose. During the struggle which ensued he fired the weapon, fortunately without hitting the person at whom he aimed, and the ball penetrated the floor. Chief Darey was at hand, and hastening to the scene, wrested the weapon from the man's hand, and handed him over to detectives Reilly and Lawrence, by whom he was lodged in Station No. 1. The weapon was at first supposed to be a revolver, but was afterwards found to be a single-barrelled cartridge pistol. To this fact alone, we believe, may the escape from dangerous wounds or death of some of those who aided in securing the infuriated culprit be attributed.
Byron (or Cooper, as he gave his name) was taken before the Police Justice this morning, and committed to jail for further examination.

Letter from North Carolina.
Communicated to the Newburgh Journal.
HEADQUARTERS OUT POST, Camp 132d N. Y. Infantry,
Bachelor's Creed, N. C., February 10th, 1864.
DEAR PARENTS: I very briefly wrote you on the 3d inst. that my regiment had been forced back from these out posts to Newbern City, where behind the intrenchments we were waiting, momentarily expecting to hear the boom of the enemy's guns announcing the fact that Newbern was to be attacked and taken if possible.
For the past six months the forces of this city have been gradually reduced from one cause and another, till at this time (the time of our attack) the military of the city did not exceed 3,500 men, and we will add to this 1,000 negroes, 500 citizens, all of whom on the days we were besieged turned out with gun in hand, and we have a force of 5,000 men called upon to hold a front of fifteen miles. The enemy moved down upon the city with three columns of 1,500 men each. One attacked our front, which protects the front and right of Newbern; another moved down the south Trent road and menaced the city on the left, and the other column struck far to the rear and attacked our forces at Croatan and Newport barracks; two important points which protect the railroad communication of this city, Morehead and Beaufort. F o r three days the enemy waveringly moved around our front. At last the retreat was sounded, and plainly behind our breastworks we could hear their bands playing such as the "Bonnie Blue Flag," "Dixie's Land," and "Bully for You." Perhaps a requiem to their blasted hopes, for if the statements of deserters and prisoners is to be credited, their Generals issued but one day's rations to their men, assuring them that Monday night, the 2d inst., they should feast and quarter in Newbern city.
The great query here in military circles is why did t he enemy abandon t he enterprise, for i t is certain that at no one point, had the enemy moved down in order of battle, could we have concentrate more than 1,500 men to oppose them, and from this it is plainly apparent, what would have been the fate of Newbern had the enemy pressed the attack.
No doubt you have already been informed by the New York press what we had to do and did do, however, I feel it a part of my duty to tell you the best I am able, what I saw.
Bachelors Creek is a narrow, marshy bordered and some places impassable little stream, running between the Trent and Neuse rivers, about nine miles from Newbern City. It is the dividing line of the Federal and Confederate forces. For one party or the other to cross in small bodies is most certain capture or death. Along the outer banks of the creek our pickets are posted.
Eight months of uniterrupted quiet had lulled the department into a full-spirit of security, and our little regiment alone was charged with the duty (a duty that should have been done by a brigade,) of guarding a front at least ten miles; how well we did it has been demonstrated. Our usual scouting party had returned with the information: no enemy, and we all had laid ourselves down to sleep—January of 1864 had departed and the Ides of February but newly born had come, the dial-face of time marked the usual quiet hour of three a. m—when on the air the boom of cannon and cracking .... our pickets were attacked.
Immediately companies were dispatched to the different points by which an enemy might pass this creek. It very soon became apparent that the force of the enemy was concentrated on the Neuse road and on our picket reserve. At this point there is a bridge, and on either side of the road we had thrown up earth works to cover this bridge. Against this the enemy, before daylight, made three successive charges with five hundred men, but the Lieutenant there commanding, with one Sergeant, one Corporal and ten men, had succeeded in keeping the enemy at bay each time he charged, repulsing him with severe loss. All this while the enemy had six guns in battery discharging shell and grape shot, but, as fortune would have it, their aim was too high. Their sharpshooters lined the opposite bank, but we were too many for them; they could make no progress. Re-enforcing our position at the bridge with four companies, the enemy abandoned the idea entirely of crossing at this point, and began moving for position whereby to flank us, which they succeeded in doing about nine o'clock a. m., after our successfully holding them back for six hours.
Now came an open field fight, and now for the first time it became known what force we had been contending against. Believe it or not, for six hours one hundred and twenty men had kept back seven thousand men fresh from Lee's army of Virginia, backed by eight thousand more, all under the command of Major General Picket. Being flanked we were compelled to fall back, which our men did in an orderly and soldierly manner, fighting and contesting every inch of ground to our camp. Here we had determined to make a stand, but orders came for us to keep on moving and fall back to Newbern. Three companies were on the Neuse road keeping the enemy in check, while the remainder of our regiment was moving down the railroad track. The enemy pressed down the Neuse road very sharply, forcing our men to drop back lively, so much so that such of our companies as came down the track, as they neare'd the point where the railroad is intersected by the Neuse road two miles from Newborn, found themselves intercepted by a large body of the enemy. For Richmond! was the universal thought. But one more chance for us, and that we will try. So we quietly filed off into the woods, struck diagonally across these woods to the Trent road, where, as good fortune would have it, we met a body of our cavalry who, covering our movements, curtained our retreat safely into Newbern.
To think of it, 300 men engaging veteran troops, 15,000 strong, and checking them for six hours.—The one great point in our favor, was perhaps their ignorance of the country, and our knowledge of the same gave us almost the victory. The citizens outside tell us that General Picket being told that only one Regiment had engaged him, would not believe it. And the soldiers said that we were the "d__dst Yankees they'd ever seen to fight." Our loss was about 10 killed, 20 wounded and 70 missing, whilst on the part of the enemy, I have counted twenty graves containing their dead, and the wounded we know nothing of. They lost one brave officer Colonel Shaw acting Brigadier General. Whilst laying behind the entrenchments of Newbern, I witnessed one bold and dashing move on the part of the enemy, and disgraceful for our side. That was the capture and destruction of our gun-boat Underwriter. This capture was made by the Rebels right under the command of the guns of our forts. It was a disgraceful affair.
Our regiment lost all its camp equipage except my command, which, strange to say, was not touched. For on our return to the old camp every tent in my street, including my officers', was remaining up untouched. My men lost all their personal baggage. E. A. J.

From Nortth Carolina.
HEADQUARTERS OUTPOST, Camp 132d N. Y. Infantry,
Bachelor's Creek, near Newbern, N. C, April 25, 1864.
DEAR PARENTS: I wrote you on the 20th instant that the enemy had attacked our forces at Plymouth in this state, that it was reported General Butler had sent a force in rear of the enemy before that place and captured him.
In the first particular I am correct, in the second I have been wrongly informed. I now regret to inform you that Plymouth with its little garrison has fallen.
Plymouth is situated near the mouth of the Roanoke river, which empties into the Albemarle Sound. As a military station it is perhaps of some considerable importance, whilst commanding the egress and ingress of the Roanoke river, a tributary running into the heart and center of rebeldom, passing through the important position of Weldon. It was a grand point from which many expeditionary movements, both naval and land, started out.
It for a time back has been garrisoned by a force numbering only some sixteen hundred men, under the command of Brigadier General Wessels, who likewise commanded the whole of the sub district of the Albemarle.
The enemy attacked this place with a combined land and naval force, numbering some 10,000 or 15,000 men, assisted by two iron-clads, one an iron raft loaded with sharpshooters, the other a ram, which for a long while has been in course of construction at or near Welden. Though surrounded on all sides by vastly superior numbers, the little garrison did not flinch from its duty and Spartan like held out till the very last. Five times the enemy endeavored to carry the place by assault and each time they were repulsed with great slaughter. For three days was this unequal contest carried on, the enemy had made no progress, and it was not until the iron-clads had opened fire in the rear that our forces were compelled to succumb.
General Wessels, I am told by a friend who left Plymouth at the latest possible moment, was seen among his men with desperate energy hurling hand grenades down upon the heads of his assailants. The Rebel General to whom he surrendered was a Captain under his command in the regular army. He was a Major. It is reported that himself and staff have been paroled.
At that place unfortunately again, as here last February, was a body of loyal North Carolinians and a company of negroes, who the enemy, showing a similiar barbareous spirit as at Fort Pillow, most inhumanely massacred.
The full particulars of this fight as yet have not reached us; as soon as I can get full details I shall forward you an account.
By the time this reaches you probably Washington of this state will have been attacked; by some, however, Newbern is thought to be the point at which the enemy aims.
The fall of Plymouth has greatly discouraged our soldiers. Truly somebody is to be blamed and that somebody is not in this department. Why the Government after spending millions to occupy this state should through some cause fail to have forces hold its positions, aye, perhaps spend lives and money to retake the same again, remains a query. May be the Government is not at fault. E. A. J.

North Carolina Correspondence.
Camp 132d N. Y., Near Newberne,
N. C., MAY 29, 1864.
Editor Niagara Co. Intelligencer:
SIR:—For the interest of the friends of the killed and wounded from Niagara county, I send you the following for publication:
Last Thursday afternoon as the train was unloading at our camp, a fearful explosion, attended with a frightful loss of life, took place, caused by the careless handling of torpedoes. Four torpedoes, intended for the obstruction of the Neuse River, being passed out without proper care, exploded, and resulted in one of the most appalling disasters on record.
The air was instantly filled with the torn and mangled remains of human bodies.—A large number were in waiting hoping to hear news on the arrival of the train. Most of the victims were blown into fragments and for a distance of hundreds of yards human gore and remains were everywhere visable. The loss of our regiment is great, 35 were instantly killed and 32 mortally injured. It is impossible to recognize all the killed; as many were torn to atoms. Among the missing are some of the 2nd N. C. U. Vol.
Appended is the list of the killed and wounded from Niagara County.
KILLED—Anson Prewster, 12th N. Y. C. Suspension Bridge, N. Y.; Wm. Meadows, 132nd N. Y. Niagra Falls N. Y.; Patrick Nolan, 132nd N. Y. Niagara Falls, N. Y.; John Rodgers 132nd N. Y. Niagara Falls N. Y.
WOUNDED.—Chs. De Pue, Ransoms Battery, contusion, Pekin, Niagara County N. Y. Martin Cotton 132nd N. Y., contusion, Niagara Falls N. Y.
I have the honor to be your ob't servant, C. C. Cusick,
1st Lieut. D Co. 132 N. Y.

Mr. George H. Hart's Despatches.
District North Carolina, Beaufort, May 26, 1864.
The larger proportion of the victims were killed instantly. The few who were spared are so greatly mutilated in many instances as to be past all human aid.
Many of those killed are so seriously mutilated and dismembered as to be unrecognizable to their dearest friends. The soldiers moved anxiously from spot to spot seeking familiar tokens to recognize the ghastly relics of what was once a comrade. In this way Commissary Sergeant H. Jones, of the One Hundred and Thirty-second New York, was identified, or, properly speaking, a part of him. An arm was noticed by one of the regiment which bore on one of the fingers a ring that was recognized as belonging to the sergeant.
Many similar circumstances occurred. An approximate idea may be conceived of the difficulty in identifying individuals when I state that three hard bread boxes were filled with fragments of flesh picked up on the spot, and the locomotive attached to the train was thickly covered with fragments of shattered humanity. Strange to say the train received little or no injury, a passenger car being partly demolished and the locomotive slightly battered.
The torpedoes contained 250 pounds of powder, and were made in barrels, environed with heavy iron hoops, and were constructed by Lieutenant King.
From previous experiment they were found to answer all the requirements for destruction, and in this instance gave terrible proof of their efficiency. The effects of the explosion in some instances were quite remarkable. A man in the commissary building at the time, bending over a barrel of rice, had large numbers of grains imbedded in his face. He died.
Frank Toull was engaged in drawing whiskey from a barrel, the explosion forced out the head of the barrel and threw him headlong into the same. He was badly but not dangerously injured, and is fast recovering.
A boy, Frank Gould, eleven years of age, whose parents reside in Newbern, displayed much heroism. One of his legs was severely injured, so much so as apparently to demand amputation; but the little fellow entreated the surgeon with such eloquent appeals to save it, telling him—"Doctor, I can stand any amount of pain, but don't take off my leg," that the doctor has thus far consented to let it remain.
Thomas A. Stewart, One Hundred and Fifty-eighth New York, was blown up into the air, but save a few bruises is uninjured.
The horse of Adjutant Palmer, One Hundred and Fifty-eighth New York, by its sagacity saved its master's life. Contrary to its usual behavior, it showed great uneasiness, being restive and apparently much terrified. The Adjutant, who was on him, was quite surprised at this terror, never before displayed at sight of the locomotive, and finally rode forward several feet. The horse still evinced unusual fear, and, a few seconds before the explosion, made several sudden bounds away from the spot, evidently possessing a prescience of the coming danger.
I append a list of casualties:—
One Hundred and Thirty-second New York Regiment.
Major Honstine, wounded, not dangerously;
Commissary Sergeant S. Jones, killed; blown in pieces.
Bryant Carney, B, killed.
Patrick Gorman, B, missing; probably blown in pieces.
Conrad Liebacker, B, missing; probably blown in pieces.
Edward Jaspert, B, missing; probably blown in pieces.
Corporal John Farrell, wounded in hand and leg badly.
Sergeant Sanford, C, killed.
James Burns, C, killed.
August Bath, ambulance driver, killed.
Michael Brown, D, wounded.
J. Hendricks, E, detailed in commissary, killed.
Henry Peterman, E, killed.
John Black, E, killed.
Thos. Conness, E, killed.
Arthur McManomy, E, teamster, killed.
Charles Mumpton, E, killed.
Frank Lowler, E, wounded.
William Brown, E, wounded.
Henry McFarland, F, musician, killed.
Stephen Pine, F, acting wagon master, killed.
James McGee, F, teamster, killed.
Richard Washburne, F, killed.
Daniel Murphy, F, severely wounded.
John Tomplin, F, slightly wounded.
Minne Galagher, F, slightly wounded.
William Meadows, G, killed.
Patrick Nolan, G, killed.
John Rodgers, G, killed.
Martin C. Cotton, G, wounded.
Michael Briscoe, H, killed.
Peter Gibbon, H, killed.
James Hamil, H, killed.
H. Kelson, H, killed.
Will J. Fury, H, drummer, killed.
Thos. Fitzgerald, H, wounded.
Francis McGosesa, H, wounded.
Thomas Mulligan, I, killed.
Mathew Colgan. K, wounded.
Isaac B. Lewis, C, wounded.
David McConnell, K, wounded.
John H. Leonard, hospital cook, wounded.
Charles Smith, colored servant to Lieutenant Stotter, killed.

Accidental Explosion of Four Monster Torpedoes Near Newbern, N. C.—Over Forty N e w York Soldiers Instantly Killed—The Signal Tower Blown Eight Hundred Feet into the Air—Names of the Killed and Wounded.
[Special to the N.Y. Herald.]
BACHELOR'S CREEK, N. C., May 27, 1864.
At four o'clock yesterday afternoon, on the arrival of the train at this station from Newbern, a terrible explosion attended the removal of four torpedoes from the cars to the platform. Forty odd soldiers and negroes were blown into eternity in an instant, while between twenty and thirty persons, white and black, were wounded and mangled in a manner frightful to behold.

The train which left Newbern at three o'clock in the afternoon, brought to the outposts the remaining four of thirteen torpedoes, of monstrous weight and proportions, intended to complete the blockade of the Neuse river in the direction of Kingston. The last of the four was about reaching the station platform when an accidental blow, from a log of wood striking upon the cap, exploded the torpedo. The concussion was so great that the other three followed on the explosion of the first, and so quick as to make but one mighty report, like the crash of a thousand pieces of artillery fired simultaneously, The disaster was one of the most appalling and heartrending that has happened in this country in a series of years. Soldiers whose gallantry has been displayed on battle fields, and whose eagerness to hear the news from their brave comrades in Virginia had brought them clustering around the station, were hurled, mangled and torn, into eternity in a moment's time Heads, bodies and limbs were scattered for a quarter of a mile around, and in many instances it was found impossible to recognize the remains of the unfortunate victims. The signal tower and a commissary building, twenty feet by eighty feet, built of logs, were thrown into the air a distance of eight hundred feet, and strewed the country for a great distance around with the fragments.

The greatest sufferer by this terrible catastrophe was the One Hundred and Thirty-second New York, stationed for the last twelve months on this front, and whose camp is adjacent to the railroad station. For the information of the friends and relatives of the killed and wounded, whose homes are mostly in New York and Brooklyn, the following list of casualties is given, and can be depended upon as correct:—

Commissary Sergt. David Jones, killed.
Company A—Killed, none. Wounded, none.
Company B—Killed, Bryan Carney, Patrick Jasport. Wounded, Corp. John Farrell, hand and leg, seriously.
Company C—Killed, Sergt. Sandford, James Burns.
Company D—Killed, Aug. Bath. Wounded, Michael Brown.
Company E—Killed, J. Henriche, Henry Peterman, John Black, Thomas Connors, Arthur McNansman, Charles Mumpton. Wounded,
Frank Towle, William Browne.
Company F.—Killed—Henry McFarland, musician; Stephen Pine, Wagonmaster; Richard Washburn, James McGee. Wounded—Daniel Murphy, John Tomlin, Minie Galligher.
Company G.—Killed—William Meadows, Patrick Nolan. John Rogers. Wounded—Martin S. Cotton, severely.
Company H.—Killed Michael Briscoe, Peter Gribbbn, James Hamil, Horatio Nelson, Wm. J. Fury. Wounded—Thomas Fitzsimmons, Francis McGrovern.
Company I.—Killed—Thomas Mulligan.
Company K. — Killed— John Tibbotts.
Wounded—Nathan Kolgin, Isaac B. Lewis, David McConnell, John H. Leonard.

Three privates (names unknown) killed; Sergeant Wm. Epnever and private Joseph Beals severely wounded.

Bruester (bugler in Capt. West's company), killed. Lieut. W. W. Wells, 58th Pennsylvania (special aid to Col. P. J. Classen), severely wounded; left foot since amputated. The killed and wounded of the contrabands will number between twenty and twenty-five.
This sad accident, entailing such fearful consequences, has cast a gloom over the soldiers of the outposts which will require a long time for them fully to overcome. A number of the wounded of the 132d New York are badly mangled, and will probably die. Everything, however, that care and skill can accomplish be done save life and ease the suffering these unfortunate soldiers.

The One Hundred and Thirty-second New-York Regiment arrived at the Battery Barracks yesterday morning. The regiment traveled overland from Salisbury, N. C., to City Point, thence to Baltimore, and so on to New-York, via the Amboy route. The following is the roster of the officers:
Field and Staff.—Col. P. J. CLASSON, Lieut.-Col. Geo. H. Hitchcock; Surgeon, P. B. Rice; Assistant-Sergeon, L. C. Gromger; Quartermaster, Chas. Bellou; Adjutant, John M. Logan.
Line Officers—Company A—Capt. George Micha; Company B—Capt. Charles G. Smith, First Lieut. Thos. Daley, Second Lieut. Henry Hollenbeck; Company C—Capt. George H. Sword, Jr., First Lieut. Joseph Gearing, Second Lieut. Richard Collins; Company D—Capt. G. B. Green, First Lieut. C. C. Cusick; Company E--Capt. S. Garraty; Company F—Capt. Irvine A. Jones, First Lieut. Jas. W. Ford; Company G—Capt. B. E. Fisk; Company H—First Lieut. Sam'l. Leathe, Second Lieut. W. L. Bath; Company I--Capt. W. B. Avery, First Lieut. A. L. Bagley, Second Lieut. A. J. Yeomans; Company K—Capt. David Stothers, First Lieut. Charles Simpson.
The following are the battles of the One Hundred and Thirty-second Regiment:
1862—Blackwater, N. C., Franklin, N. C., Zuni, N. C.
1863—Pollockville, N. C., Street's Ferry, Newbern, March 14; White Oak Creek, Blount's Mills.
1864—Batchelor's Creek, Feb. 1; Jackson's Mills, June 21-3; South West Creek, Dec. 11.
1865—Kingston, March 8-10.
The regiment has been in garrison at Salisbury ever since. The One Hundred and Thirty-second was raised in this city in July, 1862, and entered the field with 900 men, bringing home with them 304 men and officers. The command has been during its three years' service almost continually on outpost duty.

New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military History
Last modified: May 5, 2006

Valid HTML 4.01!

Home | Contact Us | Language Access