The New York State Military History Museum will be closed until further notice

New York State Military Museum and Veterans Research Center - Unit History Project
     Unit History Project  
  About the Museum
  Contact Us
  Armories & Arsenals
  Unit History Project
   - Revolution
   - Civil
   - Spanish American
   - Mex. Border, 1916
   - WWI
   - WWII
   - Korean
  Veteran's Oral History
  DMNA Homepage
  NY Naval Militia

133rd Regiment Infantry
New York Volunteers
Civil War Newspaper Clippings

Official Reports.
July 8, 1863.
Sir—I have the honor to enclose a list of the killed and wounded in the regiment under my command during the attack on Port Hudson, La., from May 27 to date.
Your obedient servant, JOHN H. ALLCOTT,
Major Commanding One Hundred and Thirty-third New York Volunteers.

Michael Dunn, Co. K.
Stephen Nolan, Co. I,
Terrence Gillespie, Co. D.
David Hutchinson, Co. D.
Corporal Timothy Smith, Co. A.
Joseph Smullen, Co. B.
John Lafferty, Co. E.
Fred. Pittaluker, Co. G.
Sergeant Geo. Decklyn, Co. H.

Sergeant A. V. Fountain, Co. A, slightly.
Charles Conklin, Co. A, severely.
Samuel Wilson, Co. B, severely.
Thomas McAndre, Co. B, severely.
John J. Dashe, Co. C, slightly.
John D. Garra, Co. C, severely.
James Hart, Co. C, severely.
Corporal John Carson, Co. D, slightly.
Timothy Galvin, Co. D, slightly.
John Dalton, Co, D, slightly.
James O'Neil, Co. D, slightly.
Patrick McKarin, Co. E, slightly.
Frank Flecker. Co. E, slightly.
George H. Cutler, Co. E, slightly.
Captain Mathew H. Moore, Co. F, slightly.
Sergeant Hugh Moore, Co. F, slightly.
Owen McCue, Co. F, severely.
Edward Hanly, Co. F, slightly.
Second Lieutenant Thompson P. Ogden, Co. G, slightly.
Sergeant G. W. La Roza, Co. G, slightly.
Thomas H. Williams, Co. G, severely.
William Doyle, Co. G, slightly.
John Dolan, Co. G, slightly.
Jacob Buhrman, Co. G, slightly.
Adjutant Henry J. Foster, slightly.
Richard Degnan, Co. H, slightly.
Andrew Schilling, Co. H, slightly.
William Waters, Co. I, slightly.
William Hunt, Co. I, slightly.
Corporal Rufus Wood, Co. I, severely.
Samuel McGregor, Co. I, slightly.
John S. Berger, Co. K, severely.
Christian Swartz, Co. K, slightly.
Michael Lannegan, Co. K, slightly.
Thomas McDonald, Co. K, slightly.
Francois Despajae, Co. K, severely.
John McCawley, Co. D, slightly.
Joseph R. Lane, Co. A, mortally.

The following casualties occurred on the 14th June, 1863:—
Colonel L. D. H. Currie, wounded in the arms.
First Lieut. Benj. F. Denton, Co. A, killed.
John Armstrong, Co. A, killed.
John Reed, Co. A, killed.
Martin McGowern, Co. A, killed.
Jeremiah Murphy, Co. A, killed.
Corporal Martin Fogle, Co. A, wounded.
Corporal N. J. Blanchard, Co. A, wounded.
Corporal D. C. Austin, Co. A, wounded.
Patrick Cohen, Co. A, wounded.
Patrick Moore, Co. A, wounded.
John Hughes, Co. A, wounded.
Thomas F. Mulroy. Co. A, wounded.
Michael Rafferty, Co. A, wounded.
John Reynolds, Co. A, wounded.
Fred. Van Amburgh, Co. A, wounded.
Storm Vanderzee, Co. A, wounded.
Sergeant Robert Jones, Co. B, killed.
Patrick Quinn, Co. B, killed.
Aaron Henrique, Co. B, wounded.
James Dougherty, Co. B, wounded.
Isaac W. Richards, Co. B, wounded.
Nelson Palmer, Co. B, wounded.
Robert Patterson, Co. B, wounded.
Louis Gowaal, Co. B, wounded.
Corporal Charles Humphrey, Co. B, wounded.
James Easton, Co. C, wounded.
Patrick Fitzpatrick, Co. C, wounded.
Captain Robert King, Co. D, wounded.
Charles M. Taylor, Co. D, killed.
Samuel Tascaur, Co. D, killed.
Corporal John Schriber, Co. D, wounded.
Corporal James V. Byrne, Co. D, wounded.
George L. Currie, Co. D, wounded.
Edward Houston, Co. D, wounded.
John McGuire, Co. D, wounded.
Michael Kealey, Co. D, wounded.
John J. Harley, Co, D, wounded
Thomas Dougherty, Co. D, wounded.
Alexander Stewart, Co. D, wounded.
Second Lieutenant Johnson C, Hull, Co. E, wounded.
Jeremiah Donahoe, Co. E, wounded.
Joseph Perry. Co. E, wounded.
Matthew Carroll, Co. F, wounded.
George Rusher, Co. F. wounded.
John Coggin, Co. F, wounded.
Charles Rushbrook, Co. F, wounded.
Thomas Donahoe, Co. F, wounded.
Wm. Dunn, Co. G, killed.
Armenius Dwyre, Co. G, killed.
J. N. Campbell, Co. G, wounded.
Henry J. Proscher, Co. G, wounded.
Jacob Wirsching, Co. G, wounded.
Henry Flood, Co. G, wounded.
Martin Schleick, Co. G. wounded.
Charles Gavin, Co. H, wounded.
Wm. Bennett, Co. H, wounded.
Sergeant C. W. Townsend, Co I, killed.
Lewis Peck, Co. I, killed.
Corporal James Merrick. Co. I, wounded.
Corporal B. P. Kelsey, Co. I, wounded.
H. P. Hughs, Co. I, wounded.
John Dobbins, Co. I, wounded.
E. W. Goodwin, Co. I, wounded.
Joaquin Joseph, Co. I, wounded.
John Moore, Co. I, wounded.
Daniel Van Wart, Co. I, wounded.

Williamsburgh, June 6, 1863.
Whereas, Lieut. George B. De Valin, an honored member of the 45th Precinct Metropolitan Police force, who joined the 2d Metropolitan (133d) Regiment of N. Y. S. Vols., in October, 1862, fell wounded in battle at Camp Bissell, on the Bayou Teche, in the State of Louisiana, on the 13th of April, 1863; and
Whereas, he died of his wounds at the City of Brashears, on the 26th of April; therefore,
Resolved, That in the loss of Lieutenant George B. De Valin the Metropolitan Police force has lost one of its highest ornaments and upright members, and the country a most faithful and patriotic citizen.
Resolved, That although we feel proud that he fell in so noble a cause, the noblest for which an American citizen can die, the cause of humanity, of freedom, and his country, yet we can not fail to mourn over his loss, and to feel that one has been taken from the living who was dear to us, beloved by all who knew him, and most beloved and honored by those who knew him best. And be it further
Resolved, That we tender to his family and friends our warmest sympathy in their affliction, and implore in their behalf the favor and comfort of Almighty God.
Resolved, That we will cherish the memory of our departed brother with profound respect, that we will honor his name, that we will seek to cultivate and adorn our lives with his virtues, and to earn for ourselves such a name and fame as he has left to honor his memory.
Capt. 45th Precinct,
GEORGE BELL, Committee

The following is a complete list of the killed and wounded in Co. I, 2d Metropolitan Regiment. This company was raised in Williamsburgh, by Capt. Daniel Jacobs, and nearly all its members belonged to this District, and we publish the list for the benefit of the relatives and friends of these gallant men residing here:
May 13—Battle of Camp Bislam, Lieut. De Valin, killed. Patrick Hanley and Jacob F. Devoe, wounded slightly.
May 27—First battle of Port Hudson, Stephen I. Nolan, killed. William Waters. wounded in both feet.
May 30—Wm. Hunt, slightly wounded in the leg.
May 31--Rufus Wood and Samuel McGregor, wounded. Wood has since died, McGregor is getting better.
June 1st--Second battle at Port Hudson, Lieut. Peck, and Chas. Townsend, killed. John Dobbin, Corporal Hughes, Corporal Merrick, Corp. Kelley, Daniel Van Wart, Joaquim Joseph, John Moni, and Edward W. Goodwin, wounded.
June 26th—Lieut. Harry O'Conner, wounded.
There is no fear entertained as to the recovery of any of the wounded except Dobbins, who received a ball in his right side which passed round to the back.
The above list was received from Sergeant J. J. Fielding.

The Surrender of Port Hudson.
Interesting Particulars of the 133d Regiment.
July 17th, 1863.
Editor Daily Times:
Port Hudson has fallen and with it the rebel's boasted control of the Mississippi. This glorious event happened on the 8th inst.
We had expected that the 4th of July, the anniversary of our National Independence would have witnessed the final attack, but God in his overruling providence ordered it otherwise. The Fourth passed without any change of position and so did the several succeeding days till the morning of the 7th when rumors came flying through camp of a great and glorious victory at Vicksburg. In a short time we heard cheer after cheer rising from different part of our line as regiment after regiment was brought up near our intrenchments and the official order announcing the surrender of Vicksburg, on the 4th of July, read to them, to which they responded with three hearty cheers. About 9 A. M., we fell in line and the order was read to us. At 10 all the various regimental bands played a short distance in our rear but near enough to the rebel works to salute their ears with their joyous notes of victory. At 12 M. 100 guns were tired in each of the divisions of the army, right, left, centre. The rebels were very quiet within their works all day, but at night picket firing was quite sharp for a time. By some means Gen. Banks had contrived to convey information of the surrender to those within the fort.
About 2 A. M. Gen. Gardiner sent out a flag of truce to obtain a cessation of hostilities and a copy of the original dispatch announcing the surrender of Vicksburg. The first General Banks refused unless for a surrender; but he willingly forwarded the latter. As soon as General Gardiner had received this, he sent out another flag, and soon after hostilities ceased on both sides. All day long the "blue coats" and "gray backs" were in groups outside the works engaged in friendly conversation, and speculating on the probabilities of a surrender. About 4, p. m., all the preliminaries were arranged and "Order reigned in Warsaw." Early on Wednesday morning our regiment was detailed as picket to guard the entrencements, while our flag, at the head of the storming column was the first to enter the rebel stronghold. The position assigned us was along the breastworks from the sally port in the centre down to the rebel right near the river. As soon as we were posted I started out on a voyage of discovery. All along just inside of the entrenchments, were little holes dug out, some completely underneath the ground, and others roofed over with boards, sticks and other materials. These were the places occupied by the enemy for the bivouac of their soldiers while at the breastworks. A few old wall and a tents were scattered along the works, probably occupied by the officers. In all these places, and in tact everywhere within the works, the utmost disorder reigned. Old clothes, bedding, bags of corn and corn meal, bottles, jugs, pans, and barrels of molasses, sugar, cooking utensils, arms of every description, bayonets, and ammunition, were to be found lying under one's feet at almost every step. As I penetrated further within the works, the appearance of desolation and destruction in no wise was abated. Here were the mud chimneys standing of a deserted camp, there a partially finished earthwork to conceal some battery; further on, a collection of log huts filled with rubbish; in another place a lot of Sibley tents, evidently having been occupied by rebel officers, but now deserted. Splendid trunks, writing boxes, instrument cases, and good clothing had been left behind by their owners, and no doubt fell a prey to the numerous explorers of our army.
The stench from the dead bodies of animals lying unburied around, together with large masses of other decaying vegetable matter was everywhere perceptible, and in some places so strong as to be absolutely unbearable. I went all around the entrenchments and through the fort, and the following is the result of my observations:

The strength of this place is more from the nature of the ground than from the nature of the works. The ground is high, filled with ravines, and it is along the edge of these that the entrenchments are constructed. In extent the are from river to river, about 7 miles. There is but one or two places along the whole extent where a brigade could be formed in line to storm the works, one being on the left and the other near the right of their line; but at these points their works were so constructed as to bring a heavy enfilading fire on any force that might attempt it. Commencing at the river on the (rebel) left for nearly half a mile, is a continuous bluff from 50 to 100 feet high and almost perpendicular. At the foot of the bluff is a level, grassy plain, about half a mile in extent, opening out on the river and running back in a northerly direction, After following the bluff nearly half a mile, the line of works come down into a ravine opening out on the plain, and immediately run up the hill; in some, places the entrenchments are scarcely knee high, in others entirety absent, and again rise to the height of 4 1-2 feet, well made, and with a ditch in front of the works varying from two to five feet in depth and from four to twelve feet across. In some spots the ravines and abatis of fallen trees render it next to impossible for any advance to be made, and it is generally in these places that the rebel defences are weakest. Wherever the nature of the ground would offer us the chance of charging, the works were bastioned so as to bring the enemy under our cross or enfilading fire. The river front is very high and well protected by heavy guns. In some places the bluff is nearly perpendicular, but in others it juts out part of the way down, and here the "rebs" planted their water batteries, and constructed in the knolls around several magazines.

I do not know the exact number of cannon captured by us, but I think they cannot fall far short of one hundred, some twenty of which are heavy siege guns. When we entered the work I saw two large black guns that the artillerists had dismounted. Both had been hit twice, once right in the muzzle, and then on the side. The largest number of pieces I saw were small brass pieces either six, twelve or twenty-four pounders. But there were several large guns in the water batteries, and a swivel was used by the rebels with harassing effect on our lines the first few days of our siege.

As usual played their part here. There was one mounted on the upper mortar batteries. On my post they had attempted to fix a log up to answer a similar purpose, but their work from some cause was never finished.

of all descriptions lay around within the entrenchments in the utmost profusion, while ammunition lay around just as though "it didn't cost anything." For the cannon there seemed to be a plenty of solid shot in the magazines and caissons, but they were by no means out of shells or grape and canister.

There is a small village on the river near the rebel left, but there is not a house that does not bear marks of the skill of our artillerists. The church is literally shot through and through. There is also scarcely a tree within the entrenchments that does not bear marks of our bullets. There are the remains of several stores and a large depot, but, like Othello, "their occupation is gone." A printing office existed here, from which a small sheet was issued occasionally, but I was unable to procure a copy of one of its issues. Gen. Banks at once turned it to use in the cause of the Union.

The number taken when the fort surrendered was, I believe, about 7,500, of which about 2,500 were sick and wounded. In appearance they are far below the poorest of our soldiers. Some few wore the rebel suit of grey, but by far the largest portion wore a dirty white colored cotton suit, coarse in texture. Part were barefooted, and as for hats, they were of every style and shape. All the officers I saw were well dressed, and looked clean and nice, but the soldiers looked dirty and filthy in the extreme. General Gardiner is a fine looking man, and evidently feels the unpleasantness of his present position, as it is said he is a deserter from the U. S. army, having joined the rebels without resigning his position in our army. General Banks has given all the men their parole, but I understand retains the officers for future disposition.

For several days previous to the surrender the, enemy had been subsisting on corn cakes and mule meat, the last not a most agreeable article of food, you can well suppose. For the sick, a hospital steward informed me rat meat was substituted--a statement I can easily credit, from the immense number of rats I saw running round, as well as from having seen several rat skins. Salt, black beans, sugar and molasses seem to have been rather plenty, and the corn meal was not wholly exhausted. Our boys found several barrels of good corn beer, which was immediately put to good use.

Dirt, rubbish, filth of all description and decaying animal and vegetable matter can be seen everywhere within the fort, and if Gen. Bank's does not adopt stringent health measures the stench will breed disease as the weather is extremely hot.

There, everything is quiet. Occasionally we hear of a few straggling guerrillas but as yet have seen none. Down on the other side of the river owing to the absence of most of our forces here, the rebels have been having a high time, but now their game is nearly up. A large part of our troops have been sent down to look after them, and I hear have got them pretty well surrounded or force their way through our lines.
Capt. Rudyard came up to see us the other day, and remembered all the boys of Co. G. in such a way as we shall not soon forget. He looks in excellent health. He had a very narrow escape from being taken prisoner when the rebels advanced on Napoleonsville, and was in quite a severe engagement at Bayou La Fourche. He is at present employed in New Orleans, but expects every day to return to his post as Provost Marshal of the Parish of Assumption, when the rebels are driven out.
Thinking the friends of the Company would be pleased to hear of the present condition of all our men, I subjoin as correct a statement of our present condition as far as I can obtain it.
We have lost two by death, Corporal F. Fredericks, at Baton Rouge, Feb. 13th; Thomas Fox, at Brashear City, Jne 20th. Three have been killed: Fred. Pitalluke, William Dunn, A. M. Dwire. We have three detailed to the Pioneer Corps--William Blackham, Charles Farrington, and Abram Q. Smith. Two detailed to the Hospital Department--J. B. Harmon, Hospital Steward, and John Daley. One to the Quartermaster's Department—Michael Klinck. One to the Ambulance Corps—J. W. Robinson. Of our sick, Sergeant Plate, Corporal Chas. S. Higgins, and Private Augustus Wolfing are at Convalescent camp, New Orleans; Adam Bonner, John Clary, Francis Flood, and Wm. F. Smith, are convalescent, and in the Parole camp at Algiers, having been taken prisoners near Napoleonville. Little Mike McNulty is also with them. Thomas Bromley is convalescent, and nurse, in the General Hospital, New Orleans, and John Dunn, nurse at Fortress Monroe; George Merklee, William Burns, Sebastian Kreutzer, and Gerrit Smith are now in hospital at Baton Rouge. Among the number wounded in our Company Thomas H. Williams has gone home on a furlough, and Sergeant La Raza, Jacob Buhrman, J. N. Campbell, John W. Dolan, William Doyle, Henry Flood, and Leonard Uiher are in New Orleans and doing well. Peter Whaley was wounded near Algiers in the leg, and is also in the hospital at New Orleans. Three of our number are deserters—William Atchelen, Charles Kastner, and Charles Miller.
First Lieut. N. W. Meserole has been promoted to a captaincy, and is detailed to Co. I.; 2d Lieut. T. P. Ogden is promoted to 1st Lieut. of our company. Owing to the honorable discharge of 2d Sergeant Wm. Waters, from ill health, each of the sergeants below him have been promoted one degree; and Jas. Murray, 2d Corporal, has been made 4th Sergeant; and private Patrick Maguire 8th Corporal. Our company officers now are at follows:
Captain, C. W. Rudyard, Provost Marshal, Assumpcion; 1st Lieut., T. P. Ogden; 2d Lieutenant.
Orderly Sergeant, George Giehl; 1st Sergeant, Henry Plate; 2d, George La Roza; 3d, Geo. Elliott; 4th, Jas. Murray.
First Corporal, Conrad Koch; 2d, Ed. Williams; 3d, Geo. Lingke; 4th, John H. Ridgway; 5th, J. M. Smith; 6th, Stanton Brown; 7th, C. M. Higgins; 8th, Patrick Maguire.
Stanton Brown is left general guide, and Geo. Lingke is detailed to the color guard during the illness of Corp, Merklee. The news we receive from the North and the Northeast is so encouraging that I hope this war is nearly over, and when it closes no body of men will return with freer hearts than the 133d N. Y. V., and none ever came away to the war more willingly.
Now, Mr. Editor, I most bring my letter to a close, or I shall not only tire your patience, but that of our readers. Hoping soon to have an opportunity of following my letter, I am happy to remain,
Yours truly, TYPOGRAPH.

Mr. Thomas Ball, of the United States Marshal's office, had a brother killed at the late battle of Pleasant Hill, Louisiana. He was color sergeant in the Second Metropolitan Regiment. On Saturday Mr. Ball received a letter detailing the circumstances of his brother's death. The following extract from the letter will be read with interest by many friends of the deceased:
“ * * * Your brother James fell while nobly bearing the standard of his country, in the face of an overwhelming force of the enemy, on the afternoon of the 9th inst. We had been in two general engagements—one on the 8th and the other on the 9th. Your brother was struck in the breast by a shell. His body was recovered after we had driven the Rebels from the field; but he had been plundered of his watch, money, and pistol. In this battle Col. Benedict was killed. Our regiment has lost about two hundred in killed, wounded, and missing."
Sergeant Ball was buried by his comrades on the battlefield. He was among the earliest volunteers from New York, having entered the army in 1861 as a private in the Eighth New York Militia. He was with that regiment in the first battle at Bull Bun, and on the return of the regiment accepted an honorable discharge and became a member of the Metropolitan Police, and when the Second Metropolitan were organized he entered the ranks and went to Louisiana.
(May 2, 1864)

Arrival of the 133d New-York Volunteer Infantry (Second Metropolitan)—Their Reception by the Police.
The 133d New-York Regiment (Second Metropolitan) arrived in this city at 3 p. m. yesterday afternoon, via the New-Jersey Railroad. The regiment numbers 486 muskets and 29 officers.
At the foot of Courtlandt-st. the regiment was met by a detachment of 21 policemen each, from 23 Precincts, each section commanded by a captain and sergeant, and the entire force were under the command of Inspector Daniel Carpenter.
The regiment, preceded by their escort, marched up Courtlandt-st. to Broadway, down Broadway to the Battery barracks, where the soldiers were furnished with an excellent dinner, under the supervision of Capt. Hicks, Superintendent at the Battery barracks. Subsequently, the regiment embarked on board a transport and proceeded to Hart's Island, where they will remain until paid off. The following is a list of officers:

Colonel—L. Douglas H. Currie.
Lieut.-Colonel—Anthony J. Allaire.
Major—George Washburn.
Adjutant—Decatur W. Frisby.
Surgeon--Robert Watts.
Asst. Surgeon—Solomon E. Hasbrouck.
Quartermaster—Frank Inman.

Company A—Capt. Patrick Oates; Lieuts. John J. Somers and Thomas Holland.
Company B—Capt, George D. Wiseburn; Lieut. John Hathorn.
Company C—Capt John H. McKee; Lieut. Frederick Van Amburgh.
Company D—Capt. Richard W. Buttle; Lieut. Arthur S. Gladwin.
Company E—Capt. James Hardenbergn; Lieut. Morris Lancaster.
Company F—Capt. George H. Simpson; Lieut. Bartholomew Griffin.
Company G—Capt. John J. Fitzgerald; Lieut. John Woods.
Company H—Capt. William J. Stewart; Lieut. George Giehl.
Company I—Capt. John H. Grear; Lieuts. Stephen S. David and James J. Fielding.
Company K—Capt. William T. Swift; Lieut. Henry Burnet.

Sergt.-Major Geo. Hudson; Quartermaster's-Sergt., Chas. E. Van Deuser; Com.-Sergt.. Wm. M. Sandford; Hospital Steward, M. Smith Hawkins; Principal Musician, Andrew Gilligan.
The regiment was raised in this City, with the exception of two Companies recruited in Brooklyn, and was officered by Metropolitan Policemen. It was organized at Staten Island, August, 1862, and mustered into the United States service Sept. 17, 1862.
The regiment has participated in the following campaigns and expeditions:

Naval assault on Port Hudson, La., March 15, 1864, Teche Campaign—Battles of Bisland, April 12 and 13, 1863; surrender of Opelousas, La., April 20, 1863: occupation of Alexandria, La., May 9, 1863. Port Hudson Campaign—Port Hudson assaulted May 27 and June 14, 1863; Port Hudson invested May 25; surrendered July 8. Second Teche Campaign—Vermilion
Bayou (skirmish), Oct. 9; Carrion Crow, Oct. 12; Verilion Plains, Nov. 11. Red River Campaign—Alexandria, La., May 1; Mansura Plains, May 16. Relief of Washington, D. C., July 13, 1864; Snicker's Gap (skirmish). July 19, 1864. Sheridan's Campaign in the Valley of the Shenandoah—Bunker Hill, Va., Oct. 26, 1864.

Occupation of Baton Rouge, La., Dec. 17, 1862; Indian Village, Feb., 1863; Rosedale, (La.) Feb., 1863; Bayou Grosse Tete, Feb., 1863; Bayou Plaquemine Brulee, La., April 25 and 27; Sabine Pass, Sept. 5 and 13.
The regiment was specially commended by Brig.-Gen. Halbert E. Paine, for assault on Fort Hudson, La., June 14, 1863.
At 10 1/2 o'clock yesterday forenoon detachments of the 69th 52d, 63d, and 88th New-York Volunteers, in all numbering about 240 men, arrived at the Battery barracks, where they were provided with a dinner, after which they were sent to Hart's Island for the purpose of being paid off.




New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military History
Last modified: August 2, 2006

Valid HTML 4.01!

Home | Contact Us | Language Access