Fort Carleton, 1778, Jefferson County, Carleton or Buck's
Island, near Cape Vincent, St. Lawrence River. Initially named with the Island
for previous Gov. of Ontario 1766, Maj Gen Sir Guy Carleton, then renamed Fort
Haldimand, for then current Gov. of Ontario 1778, Gen Sir Frederick Haldimand.
See Haldimand Fort.
For more information see www.1000islands.com/thecape/capehist.htm (Link
will open new window.)
Back to Forts A-D Index
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military
February 18, 2006