Fort Amherst (1): Another name incorrectly given to Fort Crown
Point in recent guidebooks due to its construction by Sir Jeffrey Amherst. Never
refered to as such in contemporary 18th Century military correspondence.
Fort Amherst (2): 1759, Warren County, Queensbury. (Initially
called Fort Miller). On halfway brook at the halfway point between Ft
Edward and Fort Wm Henry / Fort George. A fortified camp in 1757-58. A fort was constructed
in 1759. Occupied by the British during the Burgoyne Campaign in 1777. Burned
in 1780 in the Carleton raid. Also near this site was a stockaded enclosure
known as Seven-mile post, or Halfway Brook Post, from 1755 - 1776, and a stockaded
Garrison in 1758.
Back to Forts A-D Index
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military
February 18, 2006