Fort Anne (1), 1711, Washington County, Village of Fort Ann.
On the major land route from the Hudson (Fort Edward southern terminus) to forks
of Wood Creek (northern terminus) and access to Lake Champlain. Site was first
occupied as a fortified camp in 1690 on the way to invade Canada in King William's
War, then again in 1692 during another expedition. Queen Anne's war started
in 1702 and the site was fortified as Fort
Schuyler in 1709 and destroyed the
same year. Rebuilt in 1711 as Queen's Fort (2) and then renamed Fort Anne. Both
of these were 140 foot square palisades with interior earth fill, two large
interior buildings, and 20 foot square bastion on each corner. . Restored again
in 1757 and used in the French and Indian War, with the addition of stone arsenal
and magazine. Mud Fort, 1769 was nearby in suburb or Needhamville. Used as a
temporary Headquarters of Gen Schuyler in 1777. Located on Burgoynes route to
Saratoga in 1777 and location of sawmill for Arnold's Lake Champlain Fleet.
Destroyed upon withdrawal when Burgoyne reached Skenesboro. Another fort was
erected after the Battle of Saratoga but was surrendered and burned in Oct 1780.
A reconstruction of a blockhouse from original plans was done in 1954 as a tourist
stop, and is now a bank.
For more information see
www.adirondack.net/TOWNS/FortAnn/ (Link will open new window.)
Fort Anne (2), 1703, New York City. See Fort George.
Back to Forts A-D Index
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military
February 18, 2006