Fort Box, 1776, Kings County, Brooklyn. Battle of Long Island.
A small diamond shaped outpost constructed on Bergen's Hill in May to June 1776.
Site was on or near present day Pacific Street above Bond Street. Named for
Maj. Daniel Box. One of a line of entrenchments for the Battle of Long Island
from Fort Box at marshes near Gowanus Bay to Fort
Greene to Oblong Redoubt to
Fort Putnam to Left Redoubt at Wallabout Bay. Each work was a complete entity
surrounded with a wide ditch, sides lined with pointed stakes, and each had
sally-ports. Most of the line also had abatises. After American evacuation
the British didn't use it. In War of 1812 Fort
Fireman may have been built on
or near same site.
Back to Forts A-D Index
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military
March 19, 2008