Fort Canajoharie, 1747, Herkimer County, Town of Danube.
Indian Castle in Danube, or Upper Castle of the Mohawks, was first built in
on the flats just below Nowadaga Creek. Phonetic spellings of name include
Conojoharie, Conojohare, Conohery, Conogohery, Canowaroghare, and Cannatchoerai
but a few. In 1747 Sir William Johnson had a small fortification built to protect
the castle. Reported as one acre in size with two blockhouses. Another account
is a 150 foot square stockade (1/2 acre) with two 24 foot square blockhouses.
Referred to as the fort at Canajoharie but never officially named as such.
fortifications built in 1755 called Fort Hendrick. Historical markers are 3
Km apart but refer to same location. See Fort
Hendrick for continuation.
Back to Forts A-D Index
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military
February 18, 2006