(1): 1779, Ontario County, Honeoye. Established as a temporary
fort by the Americans in September 1779, at foot of Honeoye Lake. Originally
an Indian Blockhouse used by Tory Rangers, used a supply base and for sick from
expedition to Genesee Castle. Named for Captain John Cummings, its commander.
Abandoned after expedition.
(2): 1814, Kings County, Brooklyn. A reconstruction or reoccupation
of Oblong Redoubt (1776) at intersection of DeKalb and Hudson Avenue (or between
Putnam and Greene Avenues) on the Brooklyn Heights.
Back to Forts A-D Index
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military
February 18, 2006