Dobb's Ferry Forts
Dobb's Ferry Forts, 1776, Westchester County, Dobbs Ferry.
On the east bank of the Hudson, opposite Tallman Mountain State Park (on the
west bank). Fortified by Americans early in 1776. When the British occupied
NYC this was too close to their lines and King's
Ferry at Stony
Point was used.
The main fortification was on a horseshoe shaped projection overlooking the
east shore ferry landing, and included at least two minor redoubts. The British
held the vacated post for a short time after retreating from the battle of White
Plains, but it was apparently reoccupied by patriots in January 1777. In 1780
a wood and stone blockhouse 1500 feet north of the west shore landing was added
(just south of the park).
Back to Forts A-D Index
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military
February 19, 2006