Herkimer Church Fort
Herkimer Church Fort: 1756, Herkimer County, Mohawk. Stockade
around 1740-67 stone Herkimer Dutch Reformed Church, South side of Mohawk River
about opposite West Canada Creek. The Old Fort
was rebuilt around the church with an added blockhouse, about 1/4 mile west
of the previous site. During the Revolutionary War the church, now known as
Herkimer Church Fort, was re-fortified with a strong palisade and earthworks.
In 1812 the church was renovated and enlarged. The ramparts were destroyed in
1918 with the construction of the Barge Canal.
Back to Forts E - L Index
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military
February 19, 2006