Griffiss Air Force Base
Griffiss Air Force Base: 1941, Oneida County, Rome.
The site was selected in May 1941, but construction didn't begin until August
1941. The base opened for beneficial occupancy on 2 February 1942.
The 416th Wing was redesignated in June 1992 as the 416th Bomb Wing and inactivated
on 30 September 1995--at the same time the base realigned.
In 1995, the DOD activated the Defense Finance and Accounting Service - Rome
Griffiss Air Force Base: 1941, Oneida County, Rome. Construction
on 2,488 acres started in May 1941. Rome Air Depot became operational August
depot changed names 13 times before it was named for Lt.Col. Townsend E.
Griffiss of Buffalo, the first American to die in Europe during WW2.
Redesignated Rome Air Material Area 1959, and material part phased out in 1967.
HOST CMDs: Air Material Command (AMC)(later Air Force Logistical Cmd) was host
command 1941-1951. Host was then Air Research and Development Command 1951-1954,
and then AMC again in 1954. Headquarters Ground Electronics Engineering Installation
Agency came in 1958 and became host in 1968. The 416th became host in 1970
until closure 1993.
LAB: Watson Laboratories moved here 1951 and renamed Rome Air Development Center,
renamed Rome Laboratory 1990.
COMBAT UNITS: 1st Interceptor Group 1950-51. 4727th Air Defense Group 1957-59.
49th Fighter Squadron 1959-1987. 4039th Strategic Wing 1959, redesignated 416th
Bombardment Wing 1963, redesignated 416th Wing 1991, relocated 1993.
NEADS: Headquarters 24th North American Air Defense Region located here 1983.
With closure the North American Air Defense Sector mission was assigned to
the New York Air National Guard.
CLOSURE: Identified for closure in 1993. All units relocated except NEADS and
Rome Laboratory. Airfield closed 1998.
Thank you to Mark Stanley, historian for the 416th Bomb Wing at Griffiss
AFB from 1991-1995.
Back to Forts E - L Index
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military
June 13, 2007