Joncaire's Blockhouse: 1719(21), Niagara Falls, Niagara County.
Also known as Fort Joncaire, and Magazin Royal. Daniel Joncaire, French "white
indian", built a stockaded cabin and warehouse for trading, in Lewiston at the
foot of the portage (base of gorge) about 7 miles from the future Fort Niagara.
Dedicated as Magazin Royal by Baron de Longueuil Lt Gov of Montreal. This may
have been near the site of the original 1678 French Fort Hennepin, and a later
unnamed storehouse in 1679. Later the British also had an unnamed storehouse/
Blockhouse on this location. Another fort was built by Joncaire in 1750 called
Fort Little Niagara or Fort du Portage at the upper end of the portage above
the falls (old upper camp of Fort Conti 1679).
Back to Forts E - L Index
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military
February 20, 2006