New Scotland Avenue (Troop B) Armory
The New Scotland Avenue (Troop B) Armory was built in 1914. It was
designed by Lewis Pilcher.
The armory is sited on a relatively flat, approximately 9 acre lot, the northern
half of which is occupied by four large, modern, concrete block storage and
maintenence buildings. Only the northern half of the property of approximately
4.5. acres, was included in the Historic Register nomination.
The first unit to use the armory was Troop B, later a Machine Gun Company
in WWI. Taken over by the 106th AAA AW Battalion (10th Regt) (1950-52), renamed
127th AAA AW Battalion (1952-53), renamed 127th AAA Battalion (1953-59), renamed
210th Artillery 1st AW Battalion (1959-60), converted and renamed 1st Bn 210th
Armor in 1960 until deactivated in 1993), occupied by B Co 1 Bn 101 Cav and
various detachments until closure and sale in 1999.
The roughly T-shaped armory consists of a two-story administration building
and a three and one-half story drill shed. Both sections rest on raised, parged
concrete foundations with granite water tables. The walls are constructed of
structural steel framing sheathed with brick curtain walls.
The main block and bastions are encircled by crenelated brick parapets with
rifle slits, stone coping, a stone beltcourse, and a machicolated brick cornice.
The bastions are ornamented with high relief stone rendering of the seal of
New York State.
The five-bay-deep side elevations of the administration building each feature
a slightly projecting, three-bay-wide center pavillion with double doors surmounted
by large, multi-paned transom lights and a segmentally arched brick surround
with a stone keystone.
The two most notable and intact spaces are the company meeting room on the
first story of the administration building and the large, unobstructed drill
shed. The company meeting room features a simple brick mantel and paneled wainscotting.
The New Scotland Avenue (Troop B) Armory was added to the Historical Register
in June, 1991.
Back to Forts M-P Index
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military
February 20, 2006