Oblong Redoubt: Spring 1776, Brooklyn. Bult
by Americans to the left (Oblong) of Fort Greene (1776) and right (southwest)
Fort Putnam (1776) on the other side of Flatbush-Jamaica Road (DeKalb and Hudson Avenues).
A circular fortification that held 3 companies. One of a line of entrenchments
for the Battle of Long Island from Fort Box at marshes near Gowanus Bay to
Fort Greene to Oblong Redoubt to Fort Putnam to Left Redoubt at Wallabout Bay.
Each work was a complete entity surrounded with a wide ditch, sides lined with
pointed stakes, and each had sally-ports. Most of the line also had abatises.
Destroyed by the British. Rebuilt/reoccupied in War of 1812 as Fort Cummings.
Back to Forts M-P Index
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military
February 20, 2006