Oneida Carry Forts
Oneida Carry Forts: 1755, Oneida County,
Rome. The present City of Rome is located on the Oneida Carry. This was the
the western most navigatible part of the Mohawk River to the navigatible part
of Wood Creek that led to Oneida Lake, Oswego River and Lake Ontario. In 1755
the British built Forts Williams, Newport and Bull to protect this key portage.
After a destructive raid on Fort Bull it was replaced with Fort Wood Creek,
and Fort Craven was started to replace Fort Williams. After the French took
the Oswego Forts, these forts were destroyed and the British withdrew further
East. Later they returned to the region and built Fort Stanwix.
Back to Forts M-P Index
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military
February 20, 2006