Fort Plumb Point
Fort Plumb Point: 1777, near New Windsor, Orange County. A redoubt with 14 guns on Plumb Point north of the intersection of Murder's Creek and the Hudson River. Also known as Machin's Battery - Capt. Thomas Machin was entrusted with the construction of fortifications on the Hudson River to prevent the British advance up the Hudson River. This redoubt was three miles north of West Point and guarded the west end of a Chevaux-de-frise that ran east to Pollopel's (Bannerman's) Island, with an unnamed battery on the Island and another fort south of the Fishkill Creek was part of the Fishkill Barracks and included three gun batteries.
Back to Forts M - P Index
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military
February 20, 2006