Sacandaga Blockhouse: 1777, Fulton County, Mayfield. Sometimes referred to as Mayfield Fort it was built 20 miles
north of the Mohawk, just off Van Den Burgh Road close to the southwestern shore of present day man-made Sacandaga
Lake (Sacandaga River). Accounts vary and it was either attacked and destroyed in June 1778 or attacked and not
destroyed in April 1780. Shown is the only historical marker found in Mayfield.
Site of Romeyn's Mill
Erected 1773 by Sir William
Johnson. Burned during
Revolution. Rebuilt by Col.
Abraham Romeyn, commander
Montgomery County Militia.
Back to Forts Q - S Index
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military
February 21, 2006