Fort Setauket: 1777, Suffolk County, Setauket. Occupied by a Tory Battalion the Presbyterian Church on Strong's Neck Road was fortified. The post was enclosed at a distance of 30 feet with 6 foot high earthworks topped with a palisade of 6 foot pickets. The parapet included interior "steps" for firing positions. American attacks repulsed in August 1777 and December 1777. Abandoned in early 1778. Local citizens restored the church (which later burned and was rebuilt) and removed the earthworks.
Back to Forts Q - S Index
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military
February 24, 2006