Fort Tompkins (1)
Fort Tompkins (1): 1860, Staten Island. The site was first fortified with a 1663 blockhouse and then during the Revolutionary War as the American redoubt Flagstaff Fort (1776), taken by the British it was enlarged and used to 1783. NYS started a masonry fort in 1807 - 1812. In the early 1840s Cpt. R.E.Lee from Fort Hamilton proposed rebuilding the Staten Island works, which was done in 1860 and named for Governor Daniel Tompkins. Controlled Forts Morton, Hudson, and Richmond (Water Battery, later Battery Weed). Later included as part of Fort Wadsworth.
Fort Tompkins (2): 1812-15, Jefferson County, Sackets Harbor. A minor redoubt
in a fortified line of 4 such "forts" (Kentucky, Virginia, Chauncey, Stark)
anchored at Fort Pike on the Bay (later Madison Barracks) protecting the land
side of Sackets Harbor. see map at Fort Pike listing. Named for Governor Daniel
Fort Tompkins (3): 1812, Erie County, Buffalo, Niagara River. Built in August
1812 on top of the bluff at the bend of Niagara Street. Location was street
railway barns in 1914. Large earthwork mounting seven guns, and was the largest
of eight batteries erected that summer. Also called Fort Adams. To the South
was Old Sow Battery, and to the North was Gibson's Battery. British attacked
Black Rock July 1813 and destroyed the Black Rock Blockhouse and spiked or
carried off the guns at Fort Tompkins. Likely named for Governor Daniel D.
Fort Tompkins (4): 1814, Clinton County, Plattsburgh. After the British defeat
at the battle of Plattsburgh, two additional forts were added near Forts Brown,
Moreau, and Scott. Fort Tompkins, likely named for Governor Daniel D. Tompkins,
was constructed South West of Brown and contained three cannons. Fort Gains was added between Tompkins and the lake which created a pentagon shaped complex
which was later connected with curtain walls. See Plattsburgh Battle Fortsfor Map and Story.
Back to Forts T - Z Index
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military
February 24, 2006