New York State Military Museum and Veterans Research Center - Links
    Links  
  Home
  About the Museum
  Contact Us
  Articles
  Armories & Arsenals
  Events
  Education
  Flags
  Forts
  Heraldry
  Links
  Pictures
  Press
  Research
  Unit History Project
  Veteran's Oral History
  Search
   
  DMNA Homepage
  NYARNG
  NYANG
  NYG
  NY Naval Militia
  Friends
 

New York City Fifth Avenue, Central Park, Arsenal

Street address: Fifth Avenue at East 64th Street
City: Manhattan
County: New York
Year constructed: 1848 (not completely finished until 1854) / crenellated parapets and corner bastions replaced with low-pitched hipped roofs in late 1860's / restored in 1924
Architect: Martin E. Thompson
Size : Arsenal
Square footage:  
Acreage: 152 parcels
Status: Sold to New York City for incorporation into Central Park in 1857 / militia used building during Civil War / converted to Museum of Natural History, weather observatory, and local division of city police in 1869 / currently home to New York City Parks and Recreation, City Parks Foundation, Historic House Trust, New York Wildlife Conservation Society, Parks Library, and Arsenal Gallery

 

Units Stationed:
Years:
First Division 1848 - 1857
Seventh Regiment 1848 - 1857
   
   
   
   
   

 

History

A previous city arsenal was built on this site (ca. 1808) and then demolished in 1844. This arsenal was originally designed as a storage facility for the First Division's equipment and munitions, but was used exclusively by the Seventh Regiment in the1850's. Prior to occupying this arsenal, the Seventh Regiment was located at the Centre Market Armory on Grand and Centre streets. After the arsenal was sold, the Seventh Regiment relocated to the Tompkins Market Armory located on Third Avenue.

Other armories for the First Division include:

Images

 

New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military History
Last modified: February 3, 2012
URL: http://www.dmna.state.ny.us/historic/links/armories/New York City Fifth Avenue, Central Park Arsenal.htm