The NYS Battle Flag Collection includes two flank markers carried by the 37th Regiment NY Volunteer Infantry. This regiment, under Colonel John H. McCunn, was accepted by the State May 25, 1861; organized in New York city, and there mustered in the service of the United States for two years, June 6 and 7, 1861. These two flank markers feature painted inscriptions in gold, shadowed in red, along the top and bottom and a red painted oval in the center with a gold painted border and regiment identification in the center. The inscriptions along the top and bottom are in mirror image on the reverse while the numeric designation reads left to right on the reverse.
See the 37th Infantry Regiment History Page for more information about the unit.New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military History