Between July and September 1861 the 46th Regiment NY Volunteer Infantry, or “Fremont Rifles,” mustered into service for three years. When their three-year term expired, those entitled were discharged and the regiment continued in service as “Veteran Volunteers,” as indicated by the “N.Y.S.V.V.” along the top of these blue, silk flank markers. Both flags feature painted inscriptions in gold, shadowed in red, along the top and bottom. Also, each features a red painted shield in the center framed with a gold painted ornamental border and the regiment’s numeric designation painted in gold and shadowed in crimson. “N.Y.S.V.V.” and “REGIMENT.” are in mirror image on the reverse while the numeric designation reads left to right.
See the 46th Infantry Regiment History Page for more information about the unit.New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military History