Between July and September 1861 the 46th Regiment NY Volunteer Infantry, or “Fremont Rifles,” mustered into service for three years. These two silk, flank markers date to the regiment’s original three year muster period. Both flags, in part, feature painted inscriptions in gold, shadowed in red, along the top and bottom. Remnants from a red painted oval shield edged with a gold painted border appear in the center of each flag. The inscriptions along the top and bottom appear in mirror image on the reverse.
See the 46th Infantry Regiment History Page for more information about the unit.New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military History