The New York State Military History Museum will be closed until further notice

New York State Military Museum and Veterans Research Center - Unit History Project
     Unit History Project  
  About the Museum
  Contact Us
  Armories & Arsenals
  Unit History Project
   - Revolution
   - Civil
   - Spanish American
   - Mex. Border, 1916
   - WWI
   - WWII
   - Korean
  Veteran's Oral History
  DMNA Homepage
  NY Naval Militia

186th Regiment, NY Volunteer Infantry
Civil War Newspaper Clippings

WEDNESDAY, Sept.......................21, 1864.
CAPT. SQUIRES' COMPANY.—The Following is a list of officers and privates composing Co. F, of the l86th Regiment, commanded by Capt. Chas. D. Squires. The members are all volunteers from Lewis county, and are now at Madison Barracks, Sacketts Harbor:
Charles D. Squires, Captain
Charles N. Phelps, 1st Lieutenant.
Henry C. Gurnet, 2d Lieutenant.
William A. Pullman, 1st Sergeant.
Duane R. Butts, 2d Sergeant
Wellington Brown, 3d Sergeant
Francis Crawshaw, 4th Sergeant
A. J. Cratzenberg, 5th Sergeant
Seymour Benedict, 1st Corporal.
Chas Meredith, 2d Corporal
John S. Campbell, 3d Corporal
Mordeca Gallup, 4th Corporal
Joseph Lawrence, 5th Corporal
John T. Mitchell, 6th Corporal
Cyrus Moulton, 7th Corporal
Wallace Barber, 8th Corporal
Musicians—Howard H. Parsons, Edwin Putnam.
Privates—Charles Brown, Geo. Barton, John M. Butler, John C. Bush 2d, Rodney Backer, Darwin Benedict, John Bence, John S. Bush, George B. Barnes, John F. Bates, Joseph Bush, Peter Barker, John Bradt, Albert Grandall, John Campney, Clark S. Cook, Geo. W. Cook, Horace N. Campbell, Delevan Devoe, Charles O. Doran, George S. Doxsee, Wm. J. Doxsee, John S. Enos, Harvey F. Ellis, Levi Edwards, Orlin J. Gillett, Wm. H. Gaylord, Edmond Holcomb Jr., Martin Hanor, Eugene W. Hubbard, John Harrington, Allen Haverly, Jacob W. Hurst, Conrad Hoch, Wm. Hall, Jacob Hadcock, Edward E. Jones, Jas. A. Kelley, James W. Luce, Wm. W. Leonard, James H. Lampman, John D. Land, Charles S. Munger, W. H. Mealus, Newcom P. Mumford, Alfred F. Mulkins, A. J. Mumford, John Mills, T. McCauley, Michael Marque, Ambrose C. Nellis, Wm. H. Nichols, Allen Perkins, Alford Perkins, Franklin Perkins Nelson G. Plank, H. S. Parker, Christopher Parque, John Phillips, John Perkins, Marcellus Stockwell, Thomas Sykes, Clarence Sears, Isaac L. Swartz, Nicholas Stoffel, John Stoffel, Charles A. Schmidt, Corodan T. Smith, Edward Searls, J. B Thayer, Wm. Taylor, Ralph R. Towner, Michael Theobald 2d, John Tiff, F. D. Tomkins, Barton E. Tiff, Nicholas Veltin, Wm. Wardwell, Warren C. Willis, Wm. Woltge, Thos. D. Wilder, B. F. Wakefield, Henry D. Yager.

ORDERED TO MARCH.—The 65th, now 187th Regiment N. Y. Vols., received orders to leave at 4 o'clock this morning, and before this is seen by our readers six companies will be on their way to New York, the point where they are ordered to report. These six companies number 500 of as hale and hearty men as ever marched against an enemy, It is officered by experienced soldiers, men who have seen service and are willing to endure more. Below we give the names of the officers:

Colonel, Wm. T. Berrens.
Lieutenant-Colonel, Daniel Myers.
Major, Conrad Seeler.
Surgeon, Peter Sonnick.
Quartermaster, Frederick Lautenschlager.
Co. A—Capt. Fred. Trankle; 1st Lieut., Frank Shaffer; 2d Lieutenant, Johnson D. Ensign.
Co. C—Captain, Charles Geyer; 1st Lieutenant, Val Heffman; 2d Lieutenant, Charles Bartholomew.
Co. D—Captain, Charles S. Beckwith; 1st Lieutenant, Phillip Latour.
Co. E—Captain, Phillip H. Wagner; lst Lieutenant, Albert Schoenwald; 2d Lieutenant, _____ Palmer.
Co. G—Captain, Frank Mauerman; 2d Lieutenant, George H. Hodges; 2d Lieutenant, Richard B. Shannon.
Co. I—Captain, Daniel Loeb; 1st Lieutenant, Fred. C. Hyde; 2d Lieutenant, Henry Tyler.

Presentation of Regimental Colors to the 187th Regiment.
In accordance with our announcement of yesterday morning, the Board of Supervisors met at 2 o'clock in the afternoon for the purpose of presenting to the 187th Regiment, N. Y. S. V., a regimental Flag. On motion the Board resolved itself into a Committee of the Whole. Jas. E. Lyons, Esq., was called to the Chair, and requesting Col. Berens, and a member of his staff who was with him, to step forward, he presented the regimental Colors in the following brief address:-
COLONEL:-The pleasing duty devolves upon me of presenting to your command, through you, and in behalf of the Board of Supervisors of Erie County, this beautiful regimental flag; and, in making this presentation, I beg to avail myself of the occasion to congratulate you on the success that has accompanied your efforts in raising your regiment.
When the last call of the President was made for 600,000 men, it appeared to the people of this city and county that it would be an impossibility, a hopless task, to fill our quota of 3,000 men; but with your energy, and with the hearty co-operation of the Committee from this Board, not only did you succeed in the incredibly short space of 6 weeks in raising a command from chaos into life and form, bringing together from all quarters the necessary elements and organizing one of the finest bodies of men that ever left this city; but at the same time enabled our county to respond to our country's call for men without resort to the casualties of the draft. Men, too, whose firm and soldierly bearing, men in whose countenances beamed forth the fires of intelligence and patriotism, impressed every beholder with the conviction that in the day of conflict—yea, "in the very hour that tries men's souls"—you will do no discredit to yourselves nor bring the blush to the cheeks of your friends. Already a portion of your command is on the James, and perchance the eagle eye of Grant marks them; and their presence inspires him with firmer hope and stronger conviction that our arms shall triumph and the enemies of our government must succumb.
Colonel, your regiment and yourself go from us accompanied by the prayers, not only of weeping loved ones at home, but the prayers of a whole community are poured forth that the God of Battles may protect you from the leaden messengers of death, and guide you through all the vicissitudes of the field and restore you with honor to your homes and friends.
Colonel, go forth, and with this noble banner waving over your command and looming up above the smoke of battle, remember that in war as in peace your aim and object should be "Excelsior."
The Colors being passed into the hands of Colonel Berens' staff officer, the Colonel spoke in substance as follows:
Mr. Chairman and Gentlemen: In behalf of my men and myself I thank you for your beautiful present; and you may rest assured that as long as there is life in myself or any of my men, this flag will be protected from dishonor. I thank the Board of Supervisors of Erie Co., and Col. Rogers and his staff, for the generous assistance rendered me in raising my regiment. I have under me a regiment composed of as fine men as ever battled to put down the rebellion; men who will never shrink from the performance of their duty under the stars and stripes; and while I again thank you for these beautiful colors, I ask you to give me additional protection for them by filling up my regiment. Whether I return or not, I am confident that the colors will come back, if a single man in my command remains to bear them from the battle field.
On motion three hearty cheers were given for the officers and men of the 187th Regiment. Colonel Berens suggested that he had with him too small a detachment to respond, but he would see that the Board and citizens were remembered at the front. Whereupon the Committee r.... and reported the discharge of the duty assigned to it.
The flag, which is of silk, is of large proportions, and is one of the very handsomest we have seen. On a field of blue, are the Coat of Arms of the State of new York, resting on village and landscape, and most artistically executed. On the top of the flag, in gold letters, on a ground work of red, are the words,
" 187TH REGIMENT, N. Y. S. V."
and beneath the State Arms on a similar ground work is the golden motto "EXCELSIOR." The pole is surmounted with an eagle from beneath whose wings drop silken cords and tassels of blue and white. The lower end is silver tipped; and a few inches above it is a silver plate with the following inscription:
" Presented by the Board of
Supervisors of Erie County, N. Y.
October, 1864.”
We have no doubt that the 187th Regiment, under so able a commandant as Colonel Berens, will do honor to themselves, the city from which they hail, and the beautiful colors under which they are to fight.

From the 187th (65th) Regiment.
Camp near Polar Grove, Va.
14 miles from City Point, Oct. 29, '64.
Editors Courier—Dear Sirs—Knowing that many of your readers are interested in the fortunes of the 187th regiment, I send you a short account of our trip to this place, and of our first fight. As you well know, we left Fort Porter, at noon, on the 14th inst., for New York, on our way to the Army of the Potomas. The journey to New York was void of accident, if I except the accident which happened to one of our Captains, who in his anxiety to see that his men were all on, fell off, and tumbled down an embankment of soft earth some 10 or 12 feet, receiving no further hurt than soiled clothes, and a walk of 5 or 6 miles to the next station. Of course our boys suffered the usual amount of robbery, from the rascals, big and little who infest the platforms of the different stations where the trains stop. The lovers of the "ardent" suffered most, by sending their canteens and the money to have them filled with whiskey; of course when the train was ready to start, the messengers had not returned. We arrived in New York, at 5 P. M., of the 15th, and were immediately marched to Battery Barracks, and after a good supper, our quarters was assigned, when we "turned in" at once, worn out with a ride, the tediousness and disagreeablness of which has only relieved and rendered endurable by the kindness and attention of our gentlemanly Colonel and the officers of his command. Sunday was emphatically a "day of rest." On Monday our arms and amunition were issued to us. Tuesday at 10 A. M. the regiment was formed, and in an hour was on board the steamship "Charles Thomas," bound for City Point. At 3 P. M., we were well "under weigh", it blowing pretty fresh through the night. The next morning found us rolling about on a nasty kind of a "sea." That made many of our boys present themselves with palid faces and retching stomachs to pay their compliments to the Old Sea god. After breakfast, the polls were opened to receive the soldiers votes. There was very little excitement, scarcely half the regiment voting; the rest failing to go up, either from lack of interest, or fearing to trust themselves on their feet until they got their "sea legs" under them. About 3 o'clock the next morning, we dropped our anchor at Fortress Monroe, and waited for daylight, orders and a pilot; all three coming in due season, we were steaming up the "James" just as the fog was lifting from the surface of that beautiful river. Before dark we were alongside the dock at City Point.
Friday morning the 22d, we landed and marched to our camping ground; about two miles from the Point, and close to the fortifications. Before night, we had a neat and comfortable camp. It was our first night between canvass walls, but all were in good spirits, and dropped into routine of camp life as readily as though they were "vets." On Sunday we were inspected by our Colonel. Monday nearly the entire regiment was detailed for work on the fortifications, but was recalled before noon, to prepare for inspection., after which we were to move our camp just vacated by the l86th N. Y. who had left for the front. Some of the men complained of being taken from work so soon, as it only lacked half an hour to noon when they would have drawn their whiskey rations; poor fellows, the prize almost within reach, and then miss it. Disappointment is the lot of all mortals, and soldiers are mighty apt to draw double rations; for after inspection, by the Engineer Brigade Inspector, and moving us to our new ground, congratulating ourselves on the pleasant change of location, our Colonel received orders to be in readiness to move the next morning to the front. So immediately after breakfast, we broke camp, and marched to Cedar Level Station, three miles from City point. Taking the train there, in less than an hour we were at Warren Station, on the Weldon Railroad. Here our Colonel reported to Major-General Warren, commanding the 5th Corps, and was ordered to report to Brigadier-General Bartlett, commanding 1st division. We marched about three miles from the Station and camped on a small clearing, made in a thick piece of timber. It looked rather rough at first, but we soon had it in pretty good shape. During the afternoon our Colonel was ordered to report to Brevet Brigadier General Gregory, commanding 2nd Brigade.
On the evening of the next day, the 26th, we received orders to draw four days marching rations, bread and coffee, and hold ourselves in readiness to march at a moment's notice. After the fuss and confusion of drawing the "grub," the boys settled down quietly to get what sleep they could, before the order came to "strike tents." At two o'clock the next morning, the order came, and in a few moments our tents were down, folded, packed in our knapsacks and we were ready for the "route." At 4 o'clock A. M. we had the order to "fall in," and soon were on our line of march, preceded by the 91st Pa., Volunteers (old troops), and the 188th N. Y. Vols., both of the 2nd Brigade. At 7 o'clock we were within a quarter of a mile of the rebel fortifications, at Dinwoodie Court House, on the South Side Railroad, distant six miles from our camp. At this point we moved into the woods to within 400 yards of the enemy's works. Here we formed in line of battle, the 91st Pa. being the first lines, the 188th N. Y., the second, and ours the third; the lines being about 20 yards apart.—The lines being formed, our men moved forward in good style until within 150 yards of the rebel works, when a heavy and murderous fire from a large body of rebels, that had been laying in a hollow not 50 yards from us, caused us to fall back a short distance, where we reformed, the 91st being thrown out as Skirmishers. Again steadily advancing, in spite of the dense thicket of undergrowth, we succeeded in forcing them to their rifle pits, and getting within 50 yards of their works, which we found far stronger than had been reported. It was here, our men suffered the most, being so far in advance, we were exposed to an enfilading fire on our right. Finding it impossible to drive them from their position, we finally fell back about 100 yards and commenced to throw up breast - works the rain pouring down upon us and the enemy's bullets whistling about our ears. —By night we were in good position where we lay down on our arms.
One deplorable case was that of Sergt. Murz, of Co. G. who, after fighting bravely through the whole was shot through the heart by a rebel Sharpshooter, while working, building our fortifications. He was lamented by all who knew him as well as those who saw his gallant behaviour on the battle field.
Many of our men, after we fell back, went off on the skirmish line and staid until night, doing good service. The men, led by our gallant Colonel and his officers, behaved nobly. Moving as we did, from place to place so often, left us no time to drill or learn the manual of arms; in fact, I venture to say, three-fourths of the men had never loaded or fired a musket until the morning we went into the fight. But they stood to their work bravely and showed that the material was there, all it needed was cultivation. Gen. Gregory professed himself well satisfied with the behavior of the Regiment, during the entire affair. The next morning, the 28tb, we received orders to leave our impromptu works and move to the rear, an order we gladly obeyed, having been 26 hours under fire, and the most of the time exposed to a drenching rain, without shelter, and nothing but hard-tack to eat, as we were not allowed to light fries to boil our coffee. About 2 o'clock we reached this camp, which is about a mile from the one we occupied before. To-day the boys are busy cleaning their guns and getting ready for another "brush" with the "Johnnies." We went into the fight with 440 men, and came out with 368--losing in killed, wounded and missing, 72; a severe introduction for a regiment three weeks old.
D. K. N.

Co. A—Capt Frederick Tranckle, Com'g
Sergeant—Lonis Slatzer, left arm, severe.
Sergeant John Miller, leg.
Private—John Elder, leg.
Private John Erisman, slight.
Private Charles Smith, severer.
Private Alexander Hofften, head, severe.
Private Fred Dutweiler, lung, severe.
Private Jacob Cramer, arm shattered.
Private Edward Witt, arm and head.
Private Lawrence P Murphy, legs, slight.
Private John Miller, leg, slight.
Private Martin Lovey, head, slight.
Private Jacob Demmer, mouth, severe.
Private Martin Wolter, leg and arm.
Private Gregory Milhaupt, died in Hospital, October 29th.
Co. C--Capt. Chas. Geyer, Com'g.
Private—Charles Grinpfer.
Private George Roach, leg, slight.
Private Phillip Machl, hand.
Private Valentine Staub, slight.
Private John Martin, head.
Private George Brown, hand.
Co. D—Capt. J. C. Beckwith, Com'g.
Private—David O. Keefe.
David Mosler.
1st Sergeant—John C. Webber, shoulder, slight.
Private Sebastian Ballard, leg.
Private Jacob Borz, elbow.
Private August Kuhn, leg.
Private David J Stone, wrist.
Private Martin Zuempfer, finger.
Private Jacob Schieffer, arm.
Co. E—Captain Phillip Wagner, Com'g.
Sergeant--George W Pierce, both hips.
Private— Joseph Woodward, hip.
Christian Nissel, finger.
Leonard Miller.
Capt. Frank Maumerman, Com'g.
Sergeant—Charles Drowning.
Sergeant John Munz.
Corporal—Charles Edgar.
Sergeant—William C Robinson, foot.
Corporal—Oliver Brewer, face slight.
Private—William R Deacon, hand.
Private George W Bachestes, arm.
Lloyd A COOK, leg.
Lawrence Hill, foot.
Francis Shelb, face.
John Eggleston.
Capt. Daniel Loeb, Com'g (Dunkirk Co.)
Sergeant--Henry Schuller, slight.
George F. Parker, groin, slight.
Corporal--Richard Cameron, wrist.
Corporal Jacob Resch, leg above the knee, flesh.
Corporal John Long, calf of leg, flesh.
Corporal Jerry Sullivan, slight.
Private--William Weiler, beast, slight.
Private David Hammond, knee, slight.
Private Milton Love, foot.
Private Michael Miller, leg, severe.
Private Thomas H. Starr, arm, severe.
Private Seth Simmons, shin.
...Milhaupt, Jacob Smith.
Seth Colvin, Sebastian Eich, John Snecher.
.... Philts.
Joseph Cooper, Frank H Regner, Thomas ....
.... Howe, Henry B Page, James F Thompson,
.... W Alton.
The One hundred eighty-sixth regiment New-York State Volunteers arrived here early yesterday morning, en route to Sackett's Harbor, where it goes to be mustered out. The regiment partook of a substantial breakfast at the Howard street Soldiers' Depot. The One hundred and eighty-sixth was raised principally in Jefferson County, and was officered in part by those who had seen two years' service in the "old .... New York." Although but absent eight months in the service, it has participated in several hard fought battles. In the battle of April 2d, before Petersburgh, this regiment was among the very first to enter the rebel fortifications, and was highly complimented by its Brigade and Division Commanders for the gallantry shown in its charge on "Fort Ma.... It was in this charge that its gallant Colonel, Bradley Winslow, received a severe wound, from the effects of which he has not yet recovered. The following is a list of the officers present:
Lieut. Col. E. J. Marsh, commanding; Major, A. D. S...berg, Adjt., L. M. Marsh, Quartermaster, C. Zimmerman, Wm. C. Bailey, Assistant Surgeon ... Coleman, Capts. J. P. Legg, J. D. McWayne, H. Yates, R. McMullin, L. Snell, C. D. Squire, H.P. Bates, ...W. Reynolds, C. D. Munger, First Lieuts. C. J. Edmunds, Gleason, Stapin, Peck, C. Phelps, Herring, E. G. Ferris, J. Philips, A. P Morse, B. B. Brown; Second Lieuts. W. P. Marsh, Taylor, E. Jones, Philips, J. W. Bartlett, Gurnett, J. G. Horn, O. Cutler, C. Robertson, K. Brown.

(N. Y. Times June 7, 1865)

ARRIVAL OF REGIMENTS..—The One Hundred and Eighty-sixth N. Y. S. V., and a detachment of the Fourth Heavy Artillery, came up this morning on the steamer Hendrik Hudson and Vanderbilt, reaching here a t 4 1 /2 o'clock. Capt. James Bowden fired a salute, and Ald. Mullhall, Chairman of the Reception Committee of the Common Council, was on hand to care for their wants.
The One Hundred and Eighty-sixth was taken to John Evans saloon, where it partook of a hearty lunch, after which it was marched to the Barracks on the Troy road. This regiment was recruited directly in Lewis and Jefferson Counties, and was mustered into the service at Sackett's Harbor on the 8th of September last. From thence it proceeded to City Point, via New York, where it was set to work on the breastworks. It was next stationed at Pegran House Station, and participated in the battle of the Southside Railroad on the 27th of October. On the 28th of November it was removed to Hancock Station. It formed part of Warren's command in his raid to Nottoway on the 10th of December. At Hancock Station it did picket duty until the night of the lst of April. On the morning of the 2d of April it charged and took Fort Mahone, in front of Petersburg, and then joined in the pursuit and capture of Lee. Though only a short time out, the boys have made a record of which they may well be proud. They went out 980 strong, and return with 730 men. They lost 30 killed in the battle on the 2d, and 100 wounded. The remainder died from disease or were discharged for disability. The regiment will proceed to Sackett's Harbor, for the purpose of being mustered out. The commanding officer of the One Hundred and Eighty-sixth, Col. Bradley Winslow, was severely wounded in battle, and is now at his home in Watertown, N. Y. Lieut.-Col. E. J. Marsh is now in command.
The following is a full list of the officers:--
Lieutenant Colonel, E. J. Marsh, commanding; Major, A, D. Sternberg; Surgeon, William C. Bailey; Quartermaster, C. Zimmerman; Adjutant, Luther M. Marsh; Assistant Surgeon, J. C. Coleman.
Company A.--Captain, J . P. Legg; First Lieutenant, C. J. Edmonds; Second Lieutenant, W. P. Marsh.
Company B—Captain, J. D. McWayne; First Lieutenant, W. Gleason; Second Lieutenant, W. J. Taylor.
Company C— Captain, H. Yates; First Lieutenant, B. B. Brour; Second Lieutenant, E. Jones.
Company D—Captain, R. B. McMullin; First Lieutenant, A. J. Philips; Second Lieutenant, D. Staplin.
Company E—Captain, L. Snell; First Lieutenant, W. K. Peck: Second Lieutenant, J. W. Bartlett.
Company F— Captain, C. D. Squire; First-Lieutenant, C. P. Phelps; Second Lieutenant, H. Grunett.
Company G—Captain, H. P. Bates; First Lieutenant, W. P. Herring; Second Lieutenant, J. G. Horr.
Company H--Captain, J. M. Reynolds; First Lieutenant, E. G. Ferris; Second Lieutenant, O. L. Cutler.
Company I--Captain, C. S. Munger; First Lieutenant, J. B. Matthews.; Second Lieutenant, C. Robertson.
Company K—First Lieutenant, A. Morse; Second Lieutenant, K. W. Brown.
Col. B. Winslow and Capt. W. R. Wallace are still suffering from wounds received April 2d in the assault on Petersburg.
The regiment was among the very first to enter the Rebel fortifications, and was highly complimented by its brigade and Division Commanders for the gallantry shown in its charge on "Fort Mahone."


New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military History
Last modified: May 19, 2006

Valid HTML 4.01!

Home | Contact Us | Language Access