Chief Master Sergeant Denny L. Richardson
Command Chief Master Sergeant, New York Air National Guard
Chief Master Sergeant Denny L. Richardson is the Command Chief of the New York Air National Guard. As the Senior Enlisted Advisor/Command Chief, he serves as the advisor to the commander and senior leaders on matters influencing the health, morale, welfare, quality of life, professional development and effective utilization of enlisted personnel assigned to the New York Air National Guard.
Chief Richardson entered the Air National Guard in 1989 and completed Basic Military Training. He graduated technical school as an Aircrew Life Support Specialist and was assigned to the 135th Airlift Squadron in Baltimore, Maryland.
He immediately volunteered and became a member of the Base Honor Guard for 175th Airlift Wing in Baltimore, Maryland. In this position his talents were recognized and he was assigned as trainer for the Base Honor Guard. In March of 1997 he accepted a position as NCOIC of Aircrew Life Support for the 139th Airlift Squadron, Scotia, New York. Chief Richardson has deployed on several occasions in support of Operation Deep Freeze to McMurdo Station, Antarctica, and in support of Operation Desert Storm and Operation Enduring Freedom. In June of 2003 he was selected as Aircrew Life Support Superintendent for the 139th Airlift Squadron where he led the team through a series of successful inspections receiving recognition from AMC Inspector General.
Chief Richardson volunteered as a member of the 109th Mission Support Group Base Honor Guard. He graduated from the United States Air Force Honor Guard Protocol Honors and Ceremonies training course in May of 2002. Upon being selected as the Base Honor Guard Superintendent in 2008 he incorporated numerous changes. He immediately initiated a revised training record program to better track team memberís experience level, established regular trainings and scheduled quarterly meetings with wing leadership. His financial management experience resulted in efficiencies that doubled the teamís existing budget. Under his supervision, the team, comprised of four Title 10 full-timers and a core group of 30 volunteers performed 2,200 man hours and traveled 16,500 miles annually.
In September 2014, Chief Richardson was assigned as the Superintendent of the 109th Force Support Squadron. His keen sense and motivational style of leadership made an immediate impact on squadron members. He revamped several Personnel programs which enhanced efficiency and mission effectiveness. Prior to his current position, he was assigned as the 109th Mission Support Group Superintendent.
- 1990 - Basic Military Training, Lackland AFB, Texas
- 1993 - ACC Aircrew Protection Instructor Course, Gunter Annex, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
- 1995 - Airman Leadership Course, McGhee Tyson ANGB, Tenn.
- 2002 - Air Force Honor Guard Protocol Honors and Ceremonies, MTT, Scotia, N.Y.
- 2006 - Associate Degree, Aircrew Life Support, Community College of the Air Force
- 2007 - Bachelor of Science Degree, Information Management Systems, American Military University
- 2013 - Chief Executive Course, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
- 2016 - Command Chief Orientation Course, Joint Base San Antonio, Texas
- 2016 - Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education I, by correspondence
- 2017 - Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education II, by correspondence
- 2017 - USAF Command Chief Training Course, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
- 2018 - Enterprise Perspective Seminar, Alan L. Freed Associates, Capitol Hill Club, Washington D.C.
- 2019 - Africa Update Seminar, Alan L. Freed Associates, Capitol Hill Club, Washington D.C.
- 2019 - Leading Strategically Program, Center for Creative Leadership, Colorado Springs, Colo.
- 2019 - Defense Support of Civil Authorities (DSCA) Phase I, by correspondence
- 2020 - Enlisted Leadership Seminar, Chapel Hill, N.C., virtual
- 2020 - Defense Support of Civil Authorities (DSCA) Phase II, virtual
- 1. November 1989 - February 1997
- Aircrew Life Support Specialist, 135th Airlift Squadron, Baltimore, Md.
- 2. March 1997 - August 1999
- Aircrew Life Support Journeyman, 139th Airlift Squadron, Scotia, N.Y.
- 3. August 1999 - June 2003
- Life Support Specialist, 139th Airlift Squadron, Scotia, N.Y.
- 4. June 2003 - February 2008
- Aircrew Life Support Superintendent, 139th Airlift Squadron, Scotia, N.Y.
- 5. February 2008 - September 2014
- Aircrew Flight Equipment Superintendent, 139th Airlift Squadron, Scotia, N.Y.
- 6. September 2014 - December 2015
- Superintendent, 109th Force Support Squadron, Scotia N.Y.
- 7. January 2015 - October 2016
- 109th Mission Support Group Superintendent, Scotia N.Y.
- 8. October 2016 - Present
- Command Chief, 109th Airlift Wing, Scotia, N.Y.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
- Meritorious Service with two oak leaf clusters
- Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
- Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
- Air Reserve Forces Meritorious Service Medal with seven oak leaf clusters
- National Defense Service Medal with one device
- Antarctica Service Medal
- Afghanistan Campaign Medal with device with bronze star
- Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
- Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal
- AF Overseas Ribbon Short
- Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border
- Armed Forces Reserve Medal with Silver Hourglass and 'M' Device
- NATO Medal
- 2000 - Air National Guard SNCO of the Year, 109th Airlift Wing, Scotia, N.Y.
- 2009 - Honor Guard Program Manager of the Year, 109th Airlift Wing, Scotia, N.Y.
- 2010 - Honor Guard Program Manager of the Year, 109th Airlift Wing, Scotia, N.Y.
- 2017 - Chief Executive Course (CEC) Facilitator, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
- 2019 - CMSgt Orientation Course (CMSOC) Lead Facilitator, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
- Airman July 21, 1990
- Airman First Class Jan. 25, 1991
- Senior Airman July 25, 1991
- Staff Sergeant June 04, 1994
- Technical Sergeant Nov. 14, 1997
- Master Sergeant Nov. 15, 1999
- Senior Master Sergeant Jan. 21, 2003
- Chief Master Sergeant April 1, 2007
(Current as of October 2020)