Chief Master Sergeant Michael Hewson
Command Chief Master Sergeant, New York Air National Guard
Chief Master Sergeant Michael T. Hewson is the Command Chief of the New York Air National Guard. He is the highest level of enlisted leadership and the principal advisor to the commander and senior leaders on all matters concerning the health, welfare, morale, career progression, professional development and the effective utilization of all service members assigned to the New York Air National Guard. In this role, he is the sole representative for the Commander and the enlisted force on various committees, councils, and boards, as well as advocate for the enlisted force at military and civilian functions.
Chief Hewson proudly started his military career on May 7, 1986, enlisting in the United States Air Force. After graduation from basic military training and technical school, he served two years as a Communication Navigation Systems technician with the 655th Consolidated Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Eglin Air Force Base Florida. He separated from active duty in 1989 to join the Air National Guard, assigned to the 102nd Rescue Squadron as a Pararescue Specialist. Chief Hewson has mobilized in support of Operations DESERT STORM, SOUTHERN WATCH, NORTHERN WATCH, and ENDURING FREEDOM. During these operations, he planned and executed combat and humanitarian operations in support of national interests in the Horn of Africa, Afghanistan and Iraq. Additionally, he has participated in NASA Space Shuttle launches, civilian search and rescue, long-range open ocean rescue missions, hurricane relief and the World Trade Center Recovery in 2001. In April of 2013, Chief Hewson was assigned as the 106th Operations Group Superintendent and prior to his current position, he was assigned ant the 106th Rescue wings Command Chief. Chief Hewson retired from Suffolk County Police Department, New York, in April of 2018 after 25 years of exemplary service. During that time, he was assigned to the Emergency Services Unit, which is responsible for rescue, tactical, rescue, HazMat and bomb operations. Furthermore, Chief Hewson’s reputation and experience earned him a position on the FBI’s Joint Terrorism Task Force, which brings together numerous state and federal law enforcement agencies to react to chemical, biological, radiological and explosive threats to the Tri-State area.
- 1986 - Air Force Basic Military Training, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas
- 1986 - Communication Navigation Systems Technician Training, Keesler AFB, Miss.
- 1989 - Noncommissioned Officer Preparatory Military Course, Eglin AFB, Fla.
- 1990 - Pararescue Apprenticeship, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
- 1994 - Suffolk County Police Academy, Brentwood, N.Y.
- 1999 - Air National Guard Non-commissioned Officer Academy, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
- 2005 - National Registry and New York Paramedic Certification, Stony Brook University, N.Y.
- 2007 - FBI HDS Bomb Technician, Redstone Arsenal, Huntsville, Ala.
- 2007 - ANG Senior Non-commissioned Officer Academy, McGhee Tyson ANGB, Tenn. by correspondence
- 2011 - FBI Instructor Development, Quantico, Va.
- 2011 - Air National Guard Chiefs Executive Course, Crystal City, Va.
- 2013 - Advanced Incident Command Structure, Brookhaven National Labs, N.Y.
- 2017 - Command Chief Orientation Course, Lackland AFB, Texas
- 2017 - Senior Enlisted Joint PME, by correspondence
- 2018 - Senior Enlisted Joint PME II, by correspondence
- 2019 - Associates Degree in applied Science Community College of the Air Force, Maxwell AFB,Ala
- 2019 - Defense Support of Civil Authorities
- May 1987 - June 1987, USAF Basic Military Training, Lackland AFB Texas
- June 1987 - March 1988, Communication Navigation Systems Technician, Keesler AFB Miss.
- March 1988 - January 1990, 655 CAMS, Eglin AFB, Fl.
- August 1990 - June 1992, Student-Pararescue Pipeline
- June1992 - May 2007, Pararescue Specialist, 102nd RQS, Westhampton Beach, N.Y.
- May 2007 - January 2009, Pararescue Superintendent, 103rd RQS, Westhampton Beach, N.Y.
- January 2009 - April 2013, Aircrew Standards/Flight examiner, 106th OG, Westhampton Beach, N.Y.
- April 2013 - December 2016, Operations Group Superintendent, 106th OG, Westhampton Beach, N.Y.
- December 2016 – March 2023, Command Chief Master Sergeant 106th RQW, Westhampton Beach, N.Y.
- March 2023 - Present, Command Chief, New York Air National Guard
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
- Meritorious Service Medal with Two Oak Leaf Clusters
- Air Medal
- Aerial Achievement Medal with One Oak Leaf Cluster
- Air and Space Commendation Medal
- Air and Space Achievement Medal with One Oak Leaf Cluster
- Meritorious Unit Award with One Oak Leaf Cluster
- Combat Readiness Medal with Two Oak Leaf Clusters
- Air Reserve Forces Meritorious Service Medal with Eight Oak Leaf Clusters
STATE AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
- New York Aid to Civil Authority Medal New York Defense of Liberty
- New York Humane Service to New York State Medal
EFFECTIVE DATE OF PROMOTION
- Senior Airman - May 07, 1989
- Staff Sergeant - November 06, 1992
- Technical Sergeant - March 04, 2003
- Master Sergeant - June 05, 2005
- Senior Master Sergeant - July 17, 2007
- Chief Master Sergeant - April 15, 2010
(Current as of March 2023)