Frequently Asked Questions About the 42nd Infantry Division Band

Who can join the 42nd ID Band?
Any musician, who is otherwise qualified to enlist in the Army National Guard, and who can pass the Army Musician Proficiency Assessment (AMPA) is eligible for enlistment with the 42nd Infantry Division Band. To qualify as a 42R (Musician) applicants must be able to proficiently play one of the following instruments: Trumpet, Euphonium, French Horn, Trombone, Tuba, Flute, Oboe, Clarinet, Bassoon, Saxophone, Percussion, Keyboard, Guitar, Electric Bass. Vocalists and Music Support Technicians are also qualifying skills for enlistment as a 42R.

Unfortunately, the 42nd Infantry Division Band is not authorized bowed stringed instruments, with the exception of the Double Bass. However, if an applicant has the ability to play the Double Bass they must be proficient on the Electric Bass. All instrumentalists/vocalists must possess the ability to read music as sight-reading is one of the qualifying attributes musicians must have. The ability to read tablature and chord progressions is a plus but all musicians to include vocalists, guitarists and bass guitarists must be able to read musical notations.
How well do I have to play?
The main interest is in your sight-reading ability and demonstrated musicianship (i.e. musicality, phrasing, dynamics, tone, intonation, range, style, articulation, note shape, time/rhythm, and music preperation). Perfection is not expected, but honest effort is. If you pass the audition, the 42nd Infantry Division Band will assist you in learning and growing as a musician.
Where may I audition?
Auditions are generally held at Camp Smith Training Site in Cortlandt Manor, New York, on the weekend that the Band is scheduled to meet. However, depending on your geographical location, a site visit or virtual Video AMPA can be arranged, if applicable. All AMPAs are scheduled and arranged through the Band Recruiter.
What Rank (Pay Grade) will I enlist in?
Those who pass the AMPA and meet all criteria for enlistment may enlist at the advanced rank of “Specialist” (SPC) with a Pay Grade of E-4. The Army along with the National Guard consider the ability to play a musical instrument a Civilian Acquired Skill. This means that prior to enlistment, you have had many years of training and practice to learn this skill. Your civilian musical training enables you to enlist at this advanced grade. This is what we refer to as the Civilian Acquired Skill Program (CASP).
Do I have to attend Army Basic Training?
Yes. All musicians are required to attend Army Basic Training. Most College and High School students complete this training during the summer months so that they can be back in time for the Fall Semester of School. Non-students can discuss the departure of Basic Training with the Band Recruiter.
Do I have to attend Advanced Individual Training (AIT)?
Yes. AIT is a ten (10) week course held at the U.S. Army School of Music (USASOM) located in Virginia Beach, Virginia. Successful completion of this training is a requirement to be awarded the Primary Military Occupational Specialty (PMOS) of 42R (Musician).
Is there an obligation to enlist if I take the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) or the Army Musician Proficiency Assessment (AMPA)?
There is no contractual obligations to enlist once you take the ASVAB or the AMPA.

For more information, please contact the Band Recruiter

All NY UnitsOther States’ National Guard Websites
Unit Info Last Modified: Monday, January 30, 2023 © NYS DMNA: Unit Information: 42ID Army Band