Brigadier General Timothy J. LaBarge
Commander, New York Air National Guard
Brigadier General Timothy J. LaBarge serves as the Assistant Adjutant General and as the Commander, New York Air National Guard, Latham, N.Y. He is the primary advisor on all Air Guard matters to The Adjutant General. In this role, General LaBarge is responsible for establishing policy and monitoring operations of more than 5800 people and 42 aircraft assigned to five flying units and four geographically separated support units. He is responsible for administering over $340 million in annual payroll with over $540 million in annual economic impact.
General LaBarge graduated from St. Lawrence University in 1983 and received his Air Force commission from the Officer Training School in 1984. After serving eight years in the United States Air Force, General LaBarge joined the New York ANG in 1991 where he has served in leadership positions at the squadron, group and wing level, including two Wing Commands. He has also served at Headquarters New York ANG and Headquarters, United States Air Force. General LaBarge is a command pilot with over 5,800 hours in the T-37, T-38, C-5, C-130, LC-130 and C-17 aircraft. He has flown combat missions and combat support missions in support of Operation DESERT SHIELD, DESERT STORM, IRAQI FREEDOM and ENDURING FREEDOM, as well as polar airlift missions in Antarctica in support of Operation DEEP FREEZE. Prior to his current position, the General was the Chief of Staff, New York ANG, Latham, N.Y.
- Bachelors of Science in Biology, Saint Lawrence University, Canton, N.Y.
- Squadron Officer School, by correspondence
- Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
- Air War College, by correspondence
- Level IV AT/FP, Washington, D.C.
- Advanced Joint Professional Military Education, National Defense University, Norfolk Naval Station, Va.
- Master of Arts in Military Studies/Strategic Leadership, American Military University, Charles Town, West Virginia
- National Security Studies Management Course, Syracuse University, N.Y.
- Joint Task Force Commanders Training Course, Colorado Springs, Colo.
- Dual Status Commanders Course, Colorado Springs, Colo.
- Harvard University, General and Flag Officer Homeland Security Executive Seminar, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
- Senior Leader Orientation Course, Joint Base Andrew, Md.
- Continuous Process Improvement for Executives, San Antonio, Texas
- Middle East and South Asia Seminar, Washington D.C.
- 1. December 1983 - April 1984
- Student, Officers Training School, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas
- 2. April 1984 - April 1985
- Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Reese Air Force Base, Texas
- 3. April 1985 - August 1985
- Student, Pilot Instructor Training, Randolph Air Force Base, Texas
- 4. September 1985 - February 1989
- Instructor/Evaluator Pilot, Wing Spin Pilot, Flight Commander, Reese Air Force Base, Texas
- 5. February 1989 - May 1989
- Student, C-5 Qualification School, Altus Air Force Base, Oklahoma
- 6. June 1989 - December 1991
- Aircraft CC, Squadron Safety Officer, Wing Command Post Controller, Dover Air Force Base, Delaware
- 7. December 1991 - October 1996
- Evaluator Pilot, 137th Airlift Squadron, Newburgh, N.Y.
- 8. October 1996 - August 1998
- Squadron Operations Officer, 137th Airlift Squadron, Newburgh, N.Y.
- 9. August 1998 - February 2005
- Chief, Standardization/Evaluation, 105th Airlift Wing, Newburgh, N.Y.
- 10. February 2005 - February 2006
- Chief, Wing Command Post, 105th Airlift Wing, Newburgh, N.Y.
- 11. February 2006 - July 2007
- Deputy Director of Operations, Chief of Plans and Programs, Total Force Integration Project Officer, New York Air National Guard, Latham, N.Y. (September 2006 - March 2007, Staff Officer, Directorate of Total Force Integration, United States Air Force, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.)
- 12. July 2007 - March 2008
- Director of Staff, Air Component, New York Air National Guard, Latham, N.Y.
- 13. March 2008 - June 2010
- Vice Commander, 109th Airlift Wing, Scotia, N.Y.
- 14. June 2010 - April 2012
- Commander, 109th Airlift Wing, Scotia, N.Y.
- 15. April 2012 - May 2016
- Commander, 105th Airlift Wing, Newburgh, N.Y.
- 16. May 2016 - July 2018
- Chief of Staff, New York Air National Guard, Latham, N.Y.
- 17. August 2018 - October 2018
- Director of Joint Staff - NY, Joint Forces Headquarters (JFHQ), Latham, N.Y.
- 18. October 2018 - Present
- Assistant Adjutant General, New York Air National Guard, Latham, N.Y.
- Rating: Command Pilot
- Flight Hours: 5,800
- Aircraft Flown: C-5, C-17, C-130H, LC-130H, T-37, T-38
- Pilot Wings: Reese Air Force Base, Texas
AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
- Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
- Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
- Air Medal
- Aerial Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
- AF Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
- AF Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
- AF Outstanding Unit Award with four oak leaf clusters
- Combat Readiness Medal with silver and three bronze oak leaf clusters
- National Defense Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
- Southwest Asia Service Medal two bronze stars
- Antarctic Service Medal
- Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
- Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon
- Humanitarian Service Medal
- Armed Forces Reserve Medal (with “M” device)
- Kuwait Liberation Medal Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
- Kuwait Liberation Medal Government of Kuwait
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
- Second Lieutenant: April 13, 1984
- First Lieutenant: April 13, 1986
- Captain: April 13, 1988
- Major: Nov. 26, 1996
- Lieutenant Colonel: Nov. 29, 2001
- Colonel: Sep. 27, 2006
- Brigadier General: March 24, 2016
Current as of March 2019