Brigadier General Timothy J. LaBarge
Director, Joint Staff, New York National Guard
Acting Commander New York Air National Guard
Brig. Gen. Timothy J. LaBarge is the Director, Joint Staff (DJS) for the New York National Guard (NYNG). As the Director, Joint Staff General LaBarge manages NYNG Joint Staff and joint military programs.
He is also currently serving as the Acting Commander of the New York Air National Guard. As acting commander he oversees the 5,800- New York Air National Guard personnel who operate in five wings and the Eastern Air Defense Sector.
As Director of Joint Staff LaBarge is the principle executive assistant and advisor to The Adjutant General (TAG).
LaBarge oversees the development, execution, and evaluation of programs/policies pertaining to command, control, operation, and management of the joint functions at the Joint Force Headquarters (JFHQs) for the employment of NYNG forces in response to state/domestic emergencies. He also oversees NYNG Homeland Security programs to include; Homeland Response Force, CBRNE Task Force, Civil Support Teams, Joint Task Force - Empire Shield, Counterdrug, State Partnership Program, a 24/7 Joint Operations Center, Critical Infrastructure Protection - Mission Assurance Assessment Team, and Citizen Preparedness Corps. General LaBarge acts in the absence of TAG on joint staff matters and actively builds relationships/liaison with Federal, State, and local government agencies.
LaBarge graduated from St. Lawrence University in 1983 and received his Air Force commission through the Officer Training School program in 1984. After serving eight years in the United States Air Force, General LaBarge joined the New York Air National Guard in 1991 where he has served in leadership positions at the squadron, group and wing level, including two Wing Commands.
He has also served at Headquarters New York Air National Guard and Headquarters, United States Air Force. General LaBarge is a command pilot with over 5,700 hours in the T-37, T-38, C-5, C-130, LC-130 and C-17 aircraft. He has flown combat missions and combat support missions in support of Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm, Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom as well as polar airlift missions in Antarctica in support of Operation Deep Freeze. Prior to his current position General LaBarge was the Wing Commander of the 105th Airlift Wing at Stewart Air National Guard Base in Newburgh, New York.
- Bachelor of Science in Biology, Saint Lawrence University, Canton, New York
- Squadron Officer School (SOS), by correspondence
- Air Command and Staff College (ACSC), by correspondence
- Air War College (AWC), by correspondence
- Level IV AT/FP, by in residence
- Advanced Joint Professional Military Education, by in residence
- Master of Arts in Military Studies/Strategic Leadership, American Military University, Charles Town, West Virginia
- Joint Task Force Commanders Course (NORTHCOM), by in residence
- National Security Studies Management Course (NSSMC), Syracuse University, by in residence
- Dual Status Commanders Course (NORTHCOM), by in residence
- Senior Leader Orientation Course (SLOC), by in residence
- General and Flag Officer Homeland Security Executive Seminar, Harvard University, by in residence
- 1. December 1983 - April 1984
- Student, Officers Training School, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas
- 2. April 1984 - April 1985
- Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Reese Air Force Base, Texas
- 3. April 1985 - August 1985
- Student, Pilot Instructor Training, Randolph Air Force Base, Texas
- 4. September 1985 - February 1989
- Instructor/Evaluator Pilot, Wing Spin Pilot, Flight Commander, Reese Air Force Base, Texas
- 5. February 1989 - May 1989
- Student, C-5 Qualification School, Altus Air Force Base, Okla.
- 6. June 1989 - December 1991
- Aircraft CC, Squadron Safety Officer, Wing Command Post Controller, Dover Air Force Base, Del.
- 7. December 1991 - October 1996
- Evaluator Pilot, 137th Airlift Squadron, Newburgh, N.Y.
- 8. October 1996 - August 1998
- Squadron Operations Officer, 137th Airlift Squadron, Newburgh, N.Y.
- 9. August 1998 - February 2005
- Chief, Standardization/Evaluation, 105th Airlift Wing, Newburgh, N.Y.
- 10. February 2005 - February 2006
- Chief, Wing Command Post, 105th Airlift Wing, Newburgh, N.Y.
- 11. February 2006 - July 2007
- Deputy Director of Operations, Chief of Plans and Programs, Total Force Integration Project Officer, New York Air National Guard, Latham, N.Y.
- 12. September 2006 - March 2007
- Staff Officer, Directorate of Total Force Integration, United States Air Force, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
- 13. July 2007 - March 2008
- Director of Staff, Air Component, New York Air National Guard, Latham, N.Y.
- 14. March 2008 - June 2010
- Vice Wing Commander, 109th Airlift Wing, Scotia, N.Y.
- 15. June 2010 - April 2012
- Wing Commander, 109th Airlift Wing, Scotia, N.Y.
- 16. April 2012 - May 2016
- Wing Commander, 105th Airlift Wing, Newburgh, N.Y.
- 17. May 2016 - July 2018
- Chief of Staff, Head Quarters New York Air National Guard, Latham, N.Y.
- 18. July 2018 - Present
- Director of Joint Staff, Joint Force Headquarters, Latham, N.Y.
- 19. October 2018 - Present
- Acting Commander New York Air National Guard, Joint Force Headquarters, Latham, N.Y.
- Rating: Command Pilot
- Flight Hours: 5,700
- Aircraft Flown: T-37, T-38, C-5, C-130H, LC-130H, C-17
- Pilot Wings: Reese Air Force Base, Texas
AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
- Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
- Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
- Air Medal
- Aerial Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
- Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
- Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
- Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with six oak leaf clusters
- Combat Readiness Medal with six oak leaf clusters
- National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
- Antarctic Service Medal
- Southwest Asia Service Medal with two bronze stars
- Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
- Humanitarian Service Medal
- Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon
- Air Force Longevity Service with six oak leaf clusters
- Armed Forces Reserve Medal with 'M' device and silver Hourglass device
- Kuwait Liberation Medal Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
- Kuwait Liberation Medal Government of Kuwait
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
- Second Lieutenant: April 13, 1984
- First Lieutenant: April 13, 1986
- Captain April: 13, 1988
- Major: Nov. 26, 1996
- Lieutenant Colonel: Nov. 29, 2001
- Colonel: Sep. 27, 2006
- Brigadier General: March 24, 2016
As of October 2018