New York State Battleflag Conditions
What do we know about the condition of New York’s Battle Flags?
- Most of the Civil War flags are in fair-to-poor condition
- All of New York’s battle flags are being damaged by the current method of display in the cases on the first floor of the Capitol
- The flags are crowded into cases in an uncontrolled environment
- Gravity is causing stresses on the rolled, vertical flags
- The flags became soiled from a century of exposure to dirt in the Capitol and the surrounding urban environment
- The flags, now wrapped in acid-free tissue for protection, were exposed to excessive amounts of light for over 100 years, which caused degradation of the fibers
Click on the images below to enlarge them
© NYS DMNA: Military History Museum: New York State Battleflag Conditions
Two views of a crowded display case in the New State Capitol: 1997 on the left and 2000 on the right. During the fall of 2000, conservators wrapped the flags in acid-free tissue to protect them from light and dirt.
Page Last Modified: Thursday, 23-Jun-2016 11:53:46 EDT