NEW YORK Army National Guard
College First Enlistment Option
Consider the following:
The Army National Guard College First program is a new enlistment option which makes it possible to achieve your college goals while serving. This enlistment option provides qualified high school graduates and graduating seniors, with no prior military service, the opportunity to complete up to two years of full time schooling, with no federal mobilization/deployment, while serving part-time in the Army National Guard.
Does this sound like you?
- You're a graduating high school senior or recent graduate...
- You want to go to college but you need money...
- You want to serve your community and your country...
- You want to get a jump start on your future and get ahead of your peers...
- You want to serve at home-in your own community...
- You've considered joining the Army National Guard, and you want to complete your first two years of college before possible mobilization/deployment...
What does the College First program offer?
- Up to two years of non-deployment following completion of Initial Active Duty Training (IADT, which is where you learn the skills required for the military job, or MOS, you select when you enlist)
- Up to a $20,000 Enlistment Bonus.
- Basic Educational assistance of $317/mo. - Montgomery G.I. Bill-Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR)
- Additional Educational assistance of $350 per month with the MGIB-SR Kicker (the Kicker is in addition to the MGIB-SR, and is available to those enlisting in a critical MOS and assigned to a qualified unit)
- 100% Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA), up to $4,500 a year
- Up to 100% State Tuition Assistance up to $4,300 a year. The Recruitment Incentive and Retention Program (RIRP)
- Enrolling in Officer Candidate School (OCS) upon achieving 90 College credits if qualified.
- Enrolling into ROTC and receiving a 3, 2-1/2 or 2 year Guaranteed Reserve Forces Duty (GRFD) or Dedicated Army National GUARD (DedARNG) Scholarship, Tuition Uncap (No $ limit).
How do I know if I am eligible?
You are eligible for the College First enlistment program if...
- You are a non-prior service high school graduate or graduating high school senior
- You score 50 or higher on the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB)
- You agree to complete Advanced Individual Training (job training) immediately following Basic Training (Note: the Split Training option is not authorized for College First enlistments)
- You are accepted at a college or university accredited by the U.S. Department of Education within 90 days of completion of Advanced Individual Training (AIT) and remain a full-time student in good standing for the duration of their non-deployment period
- You join an Army National Guard unit in a State or Territory participating in the College First Program
- You meet all other applicable enlistment criteria as required - your local recruiter can answer your questions