Recruitment Incentive and Retention Program (RIRP)
The Recruitment Incentive and Retention Program (RIRP) is a New York State program designed to recruit and retain quality members for the New York Army and Air National Guard and the Naval Militia. Effective 1 January 1997, any active member of the New York National Guard or Naval Militia, in good standing, is eligible to apply to receive tuition assistance, up to the cost of the State University of New York's (SUNY) maximum in-state undergraduate tuition, at any college, university, or community-technical college in the State of New York recognized and approved by the New York State Board of Regents or State University of New York.
The following are the basic eligibility requirements. In addition, see DMNA REG 621-1:
- Be in good standing with your parent service and the Naval Militia;
- Be accepted and enrolled in college in an undergraduate, degree-producing program for a minimum of six (6) credit hours per semester or four (4) credit hours per quarter;
- Maintain eligibility for the entire period of your application;
- Be a resident of the State of New York for a period of 186 days prior to using the program for the first time and 186 days per year, excluding Active Duty periods.
To apply for RIRP, a service member must:
- Obtain a Letter of Acceptance from the college or university they wish to attend.
- Complete the FAFSA (Pell), and apply for TAP and any other financial aid.
- Complete the RIRP application in accordance with DMNA REG 621-1.
- Complete and file the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) in accordance with DMNA REG 621-1
- Submit the RIRP application to their military unit full time representative or appropriate Education Service Representative.
Utilize the following Check List to complete the package:
Appendices are found at the end of DMNA REG 621-1
- Obtain a Letter of Acceptance from the college or university you wish to attend or a recent unofficial transcript if already attending and include with the package.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Aid (FAFSA) (Pell Grant). Obtain Student Aid Report (SAR) as proof of PELL approval or denial. Final PELL determination is required before the complete package can be approved. ( http://www.FAFSA.ed.gov )
- Complete the application for Tuition Assistance Program (TAP). Obtain ORIGINAL TAP Award Certificate as final proof of TAP approval or denial. Final TAP determination is required before the complete package can be approved. (http://www.hesc.com )
- DMNA Form 96-1 (Appendix B, DMNA Reg 621-1) is to be signed by your Naval Militia Unit Representative or your Commanding Officer before it is mailed to the Naval Militia Headquarters and...
the Memorandum of Understanding ( MOU found at the end of Appendix G of DMNA Reg 621-1 ) is to be read, initialed on every line and signed on the bottom before it is included with the package.
- Spring Semester - The entire package must be received by the Naval Militia Education Officer NOT LATER THAN December 15.
- Fall Semester - The entire package must be received by the Naval Militia Education Officer NOT LATER THAN August 15.
- Submit DMNA Form 96-1, DMNA RIRP MOU, proof of financial aid (TAP and SAR/PELL Grant), and letter of acceptance/unofficial transcript to:
Division of Military & Naval Affairs
ATTN: New York Naval Militia Education Officer
330 Old Niskayuna Road
Latham, NY 12110-3514
Point of Contact
Mrs. Katharine Keller