NY Patriot Plan
Educational Leave of Absence for Soldiers Called to Active Duty
- Students who are unable to complete a semester because they are called to active United States military duty shall, upon verification, be granted the option of a refund or credit of tuition and campus fees. With respect to any health insurance fee, the refund policy is subject to the concurrence of the institution's insurance carrier.
- Any students who have received any form of financial aid including a full or partial scholarship or student loan or who expect to receive such, should contact the financial aid office at their respective institution to make appropriate arrangements.
- Students shall receive non-punitive withdrawals in all courses from which they are required to withdraw.
- Students residing in residence halls shall receive refunds on a pro rated basis for the remainder of the semester. (This provision is subject to the approval of the Building Authority.)
- Verification shall be provided by furnishing the Registrar (Dean of Students) with a copy of the Order to Active Duty within one week (7 days) of receipt of the Order. If the Order is not in writing, the student may sign an affidavit attesting to such Order which includes an address or telephone number where the institution can verify the Order and furnish the affidavit to the Registrar (Dean of Students) within one week (7 days) of receipt of Order.
- The institution's president may waive or suspend any institutional policy or regulation that negatively impacts students in their withdrawal or subsequent readmission to the institution due to a call to Active Duty.
- The institution, upon request of a student, should assist the student in filing mitigating circumstance forms with external state and federal agencies (for example Veterans Affairs) in an attempt to prevent overpayment charges being made against the student.
- Any student required to withdraw due to being called to Active Duty shall be given priority in enrollment in the program of his or her choice upon return to the institution for the two semesters immediately following his or her discharge from Active Duty.
This policy may change at any time.