New York National Guard Education Services

Student Loan Repayment Program (SLRP)

The New York Army National Guard Student Loan Repayment Program assists in repayment of qualified student loans for NYARNG Soldiers.

Eligibility Requirements:

Non-Prior Service (NPS) Soldiers:

  • Can receive up to $50,000 in Student Loan Repayment
  • Must score 50 or higher on the AFQT
  • Sign a 6x2 or 8x0 contract
  • Have at least 1 qualifying loan
  • Enlist into a valid, vacant position

Prior Service (PS) and Current ARNG Soldiers:

  • Can receive up to $50,000 in Student Loan Repayment
  • Soldiers must enlist/re-enlist for a minimum of 6 years
  • Must be Duty MOS qualified
  • Never received Student Loan Repayment before
  • Must have at least 1 qualifying loan
  • E7 or below tier level 1-6 only
  • Have less than 13 years Time in Service (TIS)

09S Enlistment Option
Soldiers can receive up to $50,000 in Student Loan Repayment

  • Non-Prior Service: 8x0 contract for $50K
  • Prior Service: Minimum of 6yrs for $45K or 8yrs for $50K
  • AFQT 50 or higher
  • 90 semester hours of college credit (Must provide transcript)
  • Have at least 1 qualifying loan
  • Enlist into a valid, vacant position

Loan Requirements

Loans must be Title IV Federal loans disbursed and not in default at the time of enlistment/reenlistment.

All loans must be listed on the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) at http://www.nslds.ed.gov/nslds_SA/.

Soldiers must provide copies of the NSLDS Aid Summary and the NSLDS Detail Loan Information Sheet(s) (one for each loan) at the time of enlistment/reenlistment.

Adding New Loans

Soldiers may add new disbursed loans upon completion of their current service obligation and extension for an additional 6yr period. Total amount cannot exceed $50K.

Using the Student Loan Repayment Program

Eligibility for Payments:

To be eligible for payment, the Soldier must

  1. Complete IADT
  2. Serve at least one year of the contract
  3. Loans must be in good standing

* Once a loan goes into a default status, the NYARNG cannot make payment until the loan comes out of default.

How Much Will the Guard Pay?

The ARNG makes a payment once a year on the anniversary date of the contract. The NYARNG pays 15% or $500 per year (whichever is higher) with a maximum of no more than $7,500 per year. The 15% will not exceed 15% of the remaining balance of the original loan plus outstanding yearly interest. Funds are paid directly to the loan holder. The Soldier must continue to make minimum monthly payments to keep the loan from going into a default status.

Initiating Yearly Payments:

Once a year, no more than 90 days before the contract anniversary date, the Soldier starts the process by completing the DD 2475.

In order to initiate the yearly payment, Soldiers must submit the following documents to the Education Office at ng.ny.nyarng.list.education-ny@mail.mil or fax (518) 272-6831:

  1. Completed DD 2475
  2. NSLDS Aid Summary
  3. NSLDS Detail Loan Information Sheet(s) (one for each loan)
  4. RPAM and Commander Statement is required when requesting payments from previous years

All NSLDS documents can be pulled from the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) at http://www.nslds.ed.gov/nslds_SA/ Once submitted, the Education Services Office will process the loan paperwork no earlier than your anniversary date. Payment will be submitted directly to the loan holder.

Completing the DD 2475

The DD 2475 must be completed before being sent to the Education Office.

Section 1(a) “Address for Completed Form” should be the Name of Soldier’s assigned unit, street address, city, state, zip code and phone number (with area code). NYARNG unit information can be found here.

Section 1(b) “The Verifying Official” must be signed by the Soldier’s unit.

Section 2 “Servicemember Data” and Section 3 “Loan Data” are completed by the Soldier.

Section 4 “Lender Verification” is filled out by the loan holder. It is the Soldier’s responsibility to send the form to the loan holder and to the Education Office once it’s complete.

Frequently Asked Questions

If I pay off my loan, will the ARNG reimburse me?

No, all payments must be made to the loan holder. If a Soldier pays off their loan, the ARNG will no longer make payments because there is nothing to pay.

My Loan went into default, how do I receive the ARNG SLRP payments?

You must bring your loan out of default by paying off the outstanding balance or working with your loan holder. Once the loan is out of default, the ARNG can start making payments again.

Do I need to claim SLRP payments on my taxes?

Yes, SLRP payments are a taxable income and is not taxed at the time of payment.

I have SLRP, what happens if I become an officer?

Enlisted Soldiers who enter a commissioning program or accept an appointment as an officer may continue to receive SLRP payments according to their original contract as long as they remain otherwise qualified.

For further information, please contact the Education Services Office at ng.ny.nyarng.list.education-ny@mail.mil.

© NYS DMNA: NYNG Education Services - Student Loan Repayment
URL: http://dmna.ny.gov/education/?id=elrp
Page Last Modified: 21 Apr 15
Contact Us   |    FAQ’s   |    Policies & Disclaimers   |    Site Directory   
English   español   中國的   русский   italiano   kreyòl ayisyen   한국의