Family Programs logo

New York Transition Assistance Adviser (TAA)

Transition Assistance Advisors (TAA's) work with other Joint Forces Headquarters staff members and Directors of State Family Programs to build a state network of support with Veterans Affairs and community organizations for service members, Veterans and their families to access in their community.

We provide information and assistance to service members and their families to help them understand and access state and federal benefits as well as services through the Department of Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration, Veterans Business Administration, Military Health System, and the Department of Labor.

Disclaimer: Military/State and Veteran Benefits are likely to change without advanced notice. For the most up to date Benefits Information and assistance, always contact your local Transition Assistance Advisor to receive the latest information about the benefits you have earned, based on your individual service.

State Benefits

State benefits change from State to State. New York is one of many that offer some great incentives to its members based upon their military service. The state of New York provides several veteran benefits for those that qualify, some of which are.

Physical and Mental Health Well-Being (VA)

The state of your physical and behavioral health can keep you feeling your best or drag you down .into hopelessness. The benefits and resources associated with physical and mental health and well-being can help you stay healthy and happy, inside and out.

Veterans’ Health Administration (VHA) Coverage
Your TAA can assist you in applying for your benefits through the VHA who will determine your eligibility based on deployment history, LOD injury or illness, and active-duty dates of service.

Transitional Assistance Management Program (TAMP)
Provides 180 days of premium-free transitional health care benefits after regular TRICARE benefits end.

Disabled Veterans Benefits

Veteran Service Organizations such as the Disabled American Veterans (DAV), American Legion, and Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW). They are dedicated to building better lives for disabled American veterans and their families. Services are provided free of charge, so take advantage starting today. Vocational rehabilitation, employment assistance, disability benefits. All of this and more is waiting for you at the VA.

Benefits Delivery at Discharge (BDD)
Through BDD, you can apply for disability compensation benefits from the VA before you leave military service. You will need to apply at least 60 days before release or separation from Active Duty, so that you can complete the medical examinations required by the program.

Disabled Transition Assistance Program (DTAP)
Can give the information on VA's Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) program. DTAP presentations are usually group sessions, which include a discussion of all of VA's available VR&E and educational/vocational counseling. The Disabled Transition Assistance Program (DTAP) can smooth your transition period by helping you make informed decisions about your disability as it relates to the VA. DTAP can assist you through the application process of vocational rehabilitation services as soon as possible.

VA Vocational Rehabilitation
Program can offer you support if you have a service-connected disability. They assist you in reaching the maximum level of independence in your daily life. The program, which has five different tracks available for those who have (or think they have) a disability, can help you not only to become employable, but also to find and maintain employment.

VA Disability Benefits
Severely disabled veterans who worked and paid Social Security taxes may be eligible to collect Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI). Veterans who have low income and low assets may be able to collect supplemental security Income, unless their VA benefits put them over the income limit for SSI.

VA Home Loan
You may be eligible for an exemption from the VA funding fee for you and your surviving spouses. If the home is not disability accessible, Adapted Housing (SAH) grants are available through the VA to help pay for mobility modifications that can make your homes more accessible. Some restrictions apply, like Veterans Administration, loans require owner occupancy, and SAH grants require ownership and title of home.

Auto and Adaptive Equipment
The VA provides a one-time payment to disabled Veterans toward the purchase of an automobile or other transportation, which may include adaptive equipment, repairs, or even replacement. However, one can apply for adaptive equipment payments during the Veteran's life.

Employment Assistance

Employment assistance benefits are available to help you and your family make a smooth and successful transition. Employment assistance workshops are available that will prepare you with resume preparation, job search skills, labor market information and interview techniques.

Verification of Military Experience and Training (VMET)
The VMET is one way to verify one’s military experience and training.

Licensing, Certification and Apprenticeship Information
While serving, you may have acquired special skills or gained experience that may qualify you for additional civilian occupations.

Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES)
Offers certification programs, counselor support, distance learning and tuition assistance programs, among others. The GED, ACT, SAT, GRE, LSAT and GMAT are all included.

A resource tool for occupation search, crossing over from military experience to civilian employment and much more.

DOL Recovery & Employment Assistance Lifelines
Provides resources to injured veterans to help them successfully transition to a rewarding career.

Official job site of the United States Federal Government. It is a one-stop source for Federal jobs and employment information. You will be able to see if you qualify for veteran preference points and other Federal benefit programs.

U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA)
The SBA offers support for veterans as they enter the world of business ownership; look for funding programs, training, and federal contract opportunities.

CareerOne Stop
They have Veteran Employment Representatives who solely help veterans. Veterans receive priority for referral, testing, counseling, and other services.

Education & Training

Fortunately, there is a long list of education benefits and services you can take advantage of through the VA and other agencies, including enrollment in degree programs, entrepreneurship training, training and apprenticeship programs and certain entrance exams and licensing/certification tests. Keep in mind that you must request approval by a state­ approving agency before the VA education program benefits are paid. Education programs apply based upon your military contract. Remember, it is never too late to educate.

The Recruitment Incentive and Retention Program (RIRP)
is a New York State program designed to recruit and retain members for the State Military Forces (Army and Air National Guard, and Naval Militia). This competitive program will pay the cost of tuition up to SUNY tuition rates per semester.

Post 9/11GI Bill
can offer you financial support for education and housing if you have served at least 90 days on Active Duty since September 11, 2001.

Transfer of Post-9/11 GI-Bill Benefits to Dependents (TEB)
Once enrolled in the Post-9/11 GI Bill program, you may be able to transfer unused educational benefits to your eligible dependents.

US Department of Education Federal Aid Programs
Includes grants, loans and work-study programs that are available to you.

Reserve Education Assistance Program (REAP- Chapter 1607)
Provides educational assistance to members of the Reserve/Guard components put on Active Duty in response to a war or national emergency declared by the President or Congress.

Montgomery GI Bill
is for degree programs, certificate or correspondence courses, cooperative training, independent study programs, apprenticeship/on-the-job training and vocational flight training programs. You may qualify for up to 36 months of education benefits.

Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP)
allows you to contribute from your military Pay. Some of the programs include a degree, certificate, correspondence, apprenticeship/on-the-job training and vocational flight training programs.

Federal, State, or Local Education/Training Programs and Options
can include undergraduate, graduate or certificate programs in the civilian world, as well as alternative options through military programs. Programs include a variety of services to include college-level testing, professional military education, veterans' benefits, tuition assistance, financial aid, deferments, and distance learning.

Financial Assistance

You probably know that careful financial planning is the key to managing your income. There are many resources available to you that can help you understand and plan your finances to make the most of your income for you and your family. They include:

Personal Financial Counselors (PFC's)

Military OneSource can offer assistance with financial management through a free financial counselor.

Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) is a retirement savings plan. You keep whatever you contribute, even if you do not qualify for uniformed services retired pay.

Money Management covers all monetary assets, including cash on hand, checking accounts, savings accounts, money market accounts and other investments.

Budgeting is developing a financial plan that helps you organize how your personal income will go towards future expenses, savings, and debt repayment. Websites such as has more information On budgeting.

Debt Management is a systematic way to help you become debt-free. It involves spreading the repayments over a period and stopping creditors from taking legal action based on your income and spending.

Personal Financial Consultants work directly for you and know your specific financial situation. Many operate in your local area.

American Legion can assist with temporary financial assistance to help families in need to meet the cost of shelter, food, utilities, and health expenses.

Red Cross partners with the Air Force Aid Society, Army Emergency Relief, Coast Guard Mutual Assistance, and Navy­ Marine Corps Relief Society to provide financial assistance to eligible applicants for emergency travel, burial of a loved one, etc.

Survivor Benefit Plan (SBP) is an annuity that replaces the member's retirement income at a percentage selected by the service member. It protects survivors against the complete loss of retired pay. Consideration for your spouse (or ex­ spouse), must be considered before you sign the SBP Election Form.

Separation Pay When a service member separates from active duty involuntarily. Separation pay eligibility and amounts depend on the type of separation, number of years of service and pay grade.

Unemployment Compensation Managed by individual states. If you demobilize from Active Duty, and are unable to obtain employment, you will be eligible for federally funded unemployment compensation {UCX).

Savings Banks along with credit unions offer savings accounts designed to help you reach short- and long-term financial goals. There are several types of investments (including Bonds, Certificates of Deposit, Stocks and Mutual Funds) with different terms and functions.

Health & Life Insurance

There is a wide variety of Insurance and health benefits available to you during your transition to civilian life and will help you prepare for life's unexpected events.

Thomas Carlyle once said, “He who has health, has hope; and he who has hope, has everything.”

Health Insurance

Transitional Health and Dental Care Benefits
May be available under TAMP to provide health care coverage as you transition to civilian life. TAMP coverage (a TRICARE benefit) applies for 180 days after you separate from Active Duty. TAMP is open to a service member who is:

  1. Involuntarily separating from Active Duty under honorable conditions.
  2. A National Guard or Reserve member separating from a period of Active Duty that was more than 30 consecutive days in support of a contingency operation.
  3. Separating from Active Duty following involuntary retention (stop loss) in support of a contingency operation.
  4. Separating from Active Duty following a voluntary agreement to stay on Active Duty for less than one year in support of a contingency operation.
  5. Receiving a sole survivorship discharge.
  6. Separating from Active Duty and agrees to become a member of the Selected Reserve or the Ready Reserve of a Reserve Component.
  7. To maintain healthcare eligibility for you and your family, post-deployment you will need to re-enroll in TRICARE RESERVESELECT before the end of the TAMP period. If you want to opt into Tricare Reserve Select, initial enrollment in TRICARE, it can be done at any time. However, if re-enrolling, one must follow the specified periods.

Life Insurance

VA provides valuable life insurance benefits and opportunities. VA's life insurance programs provide financial security for your family given the extraordinary risks involved in military service. These programs provide insurance benefits for veterans and service members who may not be able to get insurance from private companies because of the extra risks involved in military service.

Legal Assistance

You have the right to stay court hearings. No one can take you to court if you cannot be present to defend yourself.

Relocation / Homelessness

The title may be misleading, but the benefits are real. If you need time away from duty, assistance getting your belongings out of storage, or are facing the uncertainty of homelessness, there are a number of resources available for you.

Permissive Temporary Duty (PTDY) and Excess Leave
Active-Duty service members (including AGR) may be allowed time away from their assigned duties to search for a new job or home. Excess leave is leave taken but not earned. Excess leave (accrued) occurs while on Active-Duty service.

Check with your local Command authority on what policies apply based on your eligibility and type of discharge, SPD code, Command discretion or type of separation/retirement.

Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)
If you do not have a home to return to, HUD may be able to help. National Veteran Service Organizations and HUD have joined up to form the HUD Veteran Resource Center (HUDVET) to raise awareness and participation in HUD homeless assistance programs - both for veterans and for other people facing homelessness. HUDVET has information on other HUD and Federal programs addressing issues like domestic violence, enhancing community and economic development, aiding runaway youth and increasing affordable housing for senior citizens and Americans with disabilities. Veterans who are homeless or at-risk for homelessness should contact the Department of Veterans Affairs' free 24/7 National Homeless Veterans call center to speak to a trained counselor.

Travel/Transportation Allowances (Active Duty and some states)
Moving following a separation/retirement is not like other Active Duty moves. Reserve Component members seldom are offered help for shipments or storage, so you should check with your unit Commander before your release. IF STATED ON YOUR ORDERS TO AGR. You should check with your HR Department or AGR Manager.

Career Change

It is important for you to have all the information you need to make decisions about your future employment OR your rights as you return to the job you left behind. Adjusting to your civilian job may take a little time. It may also be an adjustment for your employer. Fortunately, there are resources available and ready to support you and your return to employment to help you adjust, as well as help if you are seeking a change in employment.

Once again, to know and understand the latest benefits one has earned, contact your local Transition Assistance Advisor (TAA):

Larry D. Linville
New York State Transition Assistance Specialist
(TAS) Office: (585) 783-5385
Cell: (518) 925-3240
© NYS DMNA: New York National Guard AFRPM Locations
Page Last Modified: 13 Jun 23