September 27, 2021 | 4:59 pm COVID-19 Vaccines
Booster doses are now available for eligible New Yorkers, including New Yorkers age 65 and older who got the Pfizer vaccine.

New York National Guard Education Services

Chapter 1607 GI Bill - Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)

REAP (Chapter 1607) is a GI Bill program that provides up to 36 months of education benefits to members of the Selected Reserve, who are called to active service in response to a war or national emergency declared by the President or Congress.

The National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) of 2016 ended REAP on 25 November 2015 for Veterans not enrolled in an educational or training program.

Soldiers that used REAP to attend an educational/training institution or to complete a school term on or prior to 24 November 2015 may continue to receive the benefit until 25 November 2019.

Soldiers that applied for REAP but never used the benefit to attend an educational/training institution or complete a school term on or prior to 24 November 2015 are no longer eligible to receive the benefit; however, they may have eligibility under another VA education program.

New REAP applicants not enrolled in school prior to 25 November 2015 are no longer eligible for REAP benefits.

Am I eligible?

You are eligible if you are a member of a Reserve component called to active duty on or after September 11, 2001, for at least 90 consecutive days under a contingency operation.

How much money will I receive?

The educational assistance payable under REAP is a percentage of the Montgomery GI Bill-Active Duty (MGIB) rate, which is based on active duty service performed for a duration of at least 90 consecutive days.

  • 90 days to 1 year will receive 40% of the MGIB 3 year rate
  • 1 year to 2 years will receive 60% of the MGIB 3 year rate
  • 2 years or more will receive 80% of the MGIB 3 year rate

For more information on current rates, visit

Does my program qualify for Chapter 1607 (REAP)?

The following training programs qualify:

  • Institutional Training (College or University)
  • Correspondence Training
  • Flight Training
  • Apprenticeship and On-the-Job Training
  • Cooperative Training

** To find out if your school or program is approved for VA educational benefits under REAP, contact your school’s VA Certifying Official, or call the VA at
1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551).

Where do I begin?

To collect Chapter 1607 GI Bill benefits, you must:

Your school’s VA Representative will then complete a VA Form 22-1999 to verify your enrollment

How do I receive my monthly payments?

You must verify your enrollment monthly to receive your deposit by calling 1-877-823-2378 or using the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) System @

Can I collect Chapter 1607 GI Bill and tuition assistance benefits at the same time?

Montgomery GI Bill and FTA can be used simultaneously but not for the same course. This does not apply to State Tuition Assistance.

What will happen to my Chapter 1607 GI Bill benefits if I leave the service?

If you leave active drilling status and enter IRR or ING, your Chapter 1607 GI Bill benefits will be terminated, effective the date you ETS or transfer. If you are discharged from the IRR or ING, your Chapter 1607 benefits will be terminated.

Upon completion of your 8-year service obligation, you are eligible for chapter 1607 benefit for 10 years from your last release/discharge from active duty.

For more information, please contact the Education Office at

© NYS DMNA: NYNG Education Services - Chapter 1607 - REAP
Page Last Modified: 07 Jun 18