How Do I Qualify?
- Serve at least 90 days in a period of qualifying active duty on or after Sep 11, 2001. Qualifying Active Duty service is:
- Service in any active component
- Title 10 USC Sections 688, 12301(a), 12301(d), 12301(g), 12301(h), 12302, 12304, 12304a, or 12304b
- Title 32 AGR
- Title 32 U.S.C., Section 502(f), in which orders state “In Support of Operation Noble Eagle” between 11 September, 2001 - 31 May 2002
- Southwest Border (Operation Guardian Shield): February 15, 2019 - January 20, 2021
- COVID-19 Pandemic Response: March 22, 2020 - June 30, 2022
- Capitol Police (59th Inauguration): January 11, 2021 - May 23, 2021
- Serve in a qualifying duty status for more than 30 days and separate due to a service-connected disability or injury.
- Basic Training and AIT can be added to established qualifying time if:
- You have already completed 24 months of qualifying active duty time; and
- Your Basic Training and/or AIT occurred on or after 9/11/2001
- The following service time does NOT qualify for Ch 33:
- Title 32 ADOS/ADSW
- Title 10 Service under a U.S.C. not listed above
- Service Academy Contract Period
- ROTC Active Duty Contract Period
- Active Duty used for Active Duty Loan Repayment
- Active Duty period receiving less than Honorable discharge
- You have 15 years from the last day of qualifying active duty time to use this benefit, if separated prior to 1 January, 2013. Discharges after 1 January, 2013 have forever to use this benefit.
- Your 15 year window can be reset if you complete a new period of qualifying time by submitting your information to the VA
- Submit a VA form 21-4138 with your new DD 214 to your VA Regional Processing Center
What Do I Get?
|At least 36 cumulative months||100%|
|At least 30 cumulative months||90%|
|At least 24 cumulative months||80%|
|At least 18 cumulative months||70%|
|At least 6 cumulative months||60%|
|At least 90 cumulative days||50%|
- Tuition and Fees
- Up to 100% of in-state tuition if you are attending a public school
- Max payment of $26,043/year for private or foreign school
- Book and Supply Stipend (MUST be attending 1/2 time to qualify)
- Up to $1,000 per academic year ($41.67/credit hour)
- Monthly Housing Allowance:
- Equivalent to BAH of E-5 with dependents
- Based on zip code of school
- If attending only online classes: $871 prorated by rate of pursuit and term start and end dates
- AGR/Active Duty Soldiers are NOT eligible for the Housing Stipend
Important! Payments for all three benefits are pro-rated based on your percentage tier. The Book and Supply Stipend and Monthly Housing Allowance are also adjusted based on your enrollment (number of credit hours).
How Do I Apply?
How do I transfer my Post 9/11 Gi Bill benefit to my dependants?
Information for transferability can be found here.