New York National Guard Education Services

Federal Tuition Assistance Program

The Army National Guard (ARNG) Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA) Program can be used to pay for undergraduate, graduate and certification/licensure courses. The course or program must be taken at a regionally or nationally accredited public or private college, university, vocational, technical or trade school.

How much funding can I receive?

The ARNG Federal TA can pay tuition costs of:

  • $250 per semester hour (limit 16 semester hours per Military fiscal year)
  • Maximum of 130 credits for undergraduate study, 39 credits for graduate study

How do I apply for funding?

You must submit an application through, at least 5 days prior to the course start date. You will receive instructions from as to outstanding requirements.

Can I use ARNG FTA and Montgomery GI Bill benefits for the same course?

ARNG FTA and the Montgomery GI Bill can be used simultaneously but
not for the same course. This does not apply to State Tuition Assistance.

When am I eligible to apply for ARNG FTA?

1 year after completion of AIT/BOLC. For graduate studies, you must have 10 years time in service if ARNG FTA has paid any portion of your undergraduate degree. There is no 10 year requirement if TA did not fund any portion of undergraduate work.

Is my school regionally or nationally accredited?

Accredited institutions can be found by searching

How do I maintain eligibility for ARNG FTA?

You must remain in good standing with the ARNG (attend or make-up all drills and annual training) and have a GPA of 2.0 or higher in the GoArmyEd system.

Contact Mr. Frank Julian @ (518) 270-1555 or for more information.

© NYS DMNA: NYNG Education Services - Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA) Program
Page Last Modified: 26 Oct 16