New York National Guard Education Services

GI Bill

The GI Bill provides incredible education benefits for eligible Guard Soldiers. If you qualify, you could earn a monthly expense allowance. Payment Rates can be found on the VA website. Best of all, this money is sent directly to you (not to your school) to spend on books, supplies - anything you want.

Most of these benefits can be used to pay for a college degree, a trade or apprenticeship program, and many other training or professional licensing programs. And some benefits may be transferable to dependents.


Montgomery GI Bill - Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR), Chapter 1606

An education assistance program for individuals serving in the Selected Reserve - including the National Guard and other Reserve forces.

Montgomery GI Bill - Active Duty (MGIB-AD), Chapter 30

Provides education assistance to eligible service members who have served a sufficient period of Active Duty on or after July 1, 1985.

Post-9/11 GI Bill, Chapter 33

For Soldiers with at least 90 days of Active Duty service on or after September 11, 2001, the Post-9/11 GI Bill can cover up to 100 percent of your tuition, depending on the length of time you’ve served. You may also be eligible for a housing allowance and a stipend for books and supplies, and your benefits may be transferable to your dependents. You’ll also find information about the Yellow Ribbon Program, which can help pay higher private school, graduate school or out-of-state tuitions.

Army National Guard Kicker

A supplement to the Montgomery GI Bill that pays up to $350 per month in living expenses - up to $12,600 over 36 months - on top of your GI Bill benefits, for recruits and Soldiers in critical military jobs and units. You’ll need to apply and qualify for this program.

Dependents and Transferring Benefits

If you’re an active member of the National Guard or Reserve, you may qualify to transfer your Chapter 33, Post-9/11 GI Bill benefit entitlement to your dependents. Find out if you qualify, and learn how to apply to make the most of your earned benefits. You can also find specific information for Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance (DEA).

Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Program, Chapter 31

As a disabled Veteran, you may find it challenging to find employment or live independently while you recover. The Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Program, Chapter 31, offers many services that can help you transition as you recover, including employment assistance, job training, counseling and rehabilitation services.

How to Apply

Each of these Veterans Affairs (VA) education benefits has its own requirements and application procedures. You'll find detailed instructions at each of the links listed above.

Payment Rates

To determine which GI Bill version will offer you the greatest benefits based on your military experience, use the Benefit Comparison Tool. Payment rates for VA educational assistance programs vary depending on the type of education or training you pursue, as well as your enrollment status. You'll find a list of current payment rates at the VA's Rate Tables page.

Note about VA-approved programs

The first step on the road to using your VA education benefits is identifying an education or training program that is approved by the VA. There are two ways to identify these programs:

  1. Search for VA-approved programs in your area by visiting the Search for Approved Education Programs section of the VA's website.
  2. If you have identified a training program that interests you, simply ask the school or employer if the training is VA-approved.

Current Guard Soldiers can get more information on education programs by contacting their state’s Education Services Officer.

© NYS DMNA: NYNG Education Services - GI Bill
Page Last Modified: 27 Jun 22